Author Topic: The original Doom is coming to the N64...  (Read 362800 times)

Offline fabio_rosendo

• View Profile
Re: The original Doom is coming to the N64...
« Reply #825 on: December 20, 2017, 09:41 PM »
This new builder give me an error.  :'(

"C:\Users\Fabio\Desktop\64DOOM_BUILDER>make_doom.bat

C:\Users\Fabio\Desktop\64DOOM_BUILDER>BASH.EXE make_doom.sh
make_doom.sh: line 2: $'\r': command not found
make_doom.sh: line 12: $'\r': command not found
make_doom.sh: line 17: $'\r': command not found
make_doom.sh: line 22: $'\r': command not found
make_doom.sh: line 27: $'\r': command not found
make_doom.sh: line 29: $'\r': command not found
make_doom.sh: line 34: $'\r': command not found
make_doom.sh: line 38: $'\r': command not found
64DOOM ROM BUILDER -- jnmartin84
Enter the number of the ROM to build:
1) Shareware
2) Registered
3) Ultimate
4) Doom 2
5) Plutonia
6) TNT
make_doom.sh: line 50: syntax error near unexpected token `$'in\r''
'ake_doom.sh: line 50: `    case $opt in

C:\Users\Fabio\Desktop\64DOOM_BUILDER>"
There's something wrong   :'(

Offline jnmartin84

• View Profile
« Reply #826 on: December 21, 2017, 01:02 AM »
Quote from: jnmartin84
Not any moreso than before. It isn't a priority, just a would-be-nice for the future. I finally pushed all of the previously missing dependencies, that's as far as I'm going with that.
Kerr Avon,
I don't want you to think I was trying to be dismissive with my response to your query. There are a whole list of things I'd love to get implemented as time, ability, motivation and skill permit:
split screen OR USB networked multiplayer
high res rendering
higher quality sound
control remapping

Oh of course, not mate. I didn't think you were being dismissive or anything.

On the subject of multiplayer, I was disappointed that Doom 64 had none. I read somewhere that they didn't think the public would enjoy splitscreen for a first person shooter multiplayer, and then Goldeneye came out and proved them massively wrong. I prefer splitscreen to online, since that way you're in the same room with the people, as then it's more sociable and more fun (especially with good friends, so you can trash talk and everything), but it would have been great if the N64 would have supported LAN too, so that two or more N64s could be linked up for multiplayer Goldneye/Perfect Dark etc. But splitscreen was much more convenient and easier to set up, which helped make N64 multiplayer more popular, I suppose.

I was doing more research on split-screen Doom last night. It sounds like the Xbox version did it by running an entire copy of the Doom engine sort of as separate processes for each player / each "screen" split.

I guess the engine itself is basically built with assumptions all the way through that more than one player will never exist on a single system, only via remote network message processing.

No way in hell the N64 has ANY spare cycles left for doing that Xbox style multiple engines in parallel. :-(

If I can get a PC prototype networked and running I could get it working on the 64Drive via in a matter of days.

Offline Gh0st

• View Profile
« Reply #827 on: December 23, 2017, 07:59 PM »
This new builder give me an error.  :'(

"C:\Users\Fabio\Desktop\64DOOM_BUILDER>make_doom.bat

C:\Users\Fabio\Desktop\64DOOM_BUILDER>BASH.EXE make_doom.sh
make_doom.sh: line 12: $'\r': command not found
make_doom.sh: line 17: $'\r': command not found
make_doom.sh: line 22: $'\r': command not found
make_doom.sh: line 27: $'\r': command not found
make_doom.sh: line 29: $'\r': command not found
make_doom.sh: line 34: $'\r': command not found
make_doom.sh: line 38: $'\r': command not found
64DOOM ROM BUILDER -- jnmartin84
Enter the number of the ROM to build:
1) Shareware
2) Registered
3) Ultimate
4) Doom 2
5) Plutonia
6) TNT
make_doom.sh: line 50: syntax error near unexpected token `$'in\r''
'ake_doom.sh: line 50: `    case $opt in

C:\Users\Fabio\Desktop\64DOOM_BUILDER>"
There's something wrong   :'(

I'm getting this same error as well trying to build DOOMU.WAD and DOOM2.WAD on Win8.1. Won't even let me select one of the two options.

EDIT: I found this fix, not the greatest but it'll work for now.

There are only minor filename differences between the current make_doom.sh script and the one from the Nov 2016 zip (https://github.com/jnmartin84/64doom/blob/f905f962343c3270d29204af173ef126e6790083/64DOOM_BUILDER.zip). As such, you can take the make_doom.sh script from the old zip, paste it into the new directory to overwrite the faulty script, then rename "ADoom_Instr" to "ADoom_Ins" to make the old script work.

As far as I can tell, this will still give you the benefits of the updated builder.

EDIT2: I may have spoken too soon, seems the games freeze on the W_INIT: Init WADfiles. step. Tried with DOOMU.WAD and DOOM2.WAD.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 08:27 PM by Gh0st »

Offline jnmartin84

• View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 02, 2018, 07:10 AM »
There are a few subtle changes.
Values of things like MIDI_OFFSET and WADFILE_OFFSET are different. Basically, anything that was set to  SOMETHING_HIGH  before is now set to  SOMETHING_LOW  .

From what you posted, it sounds like a line-ending issue.

Need to run in something like dos2unix or unix2dos to change it until it works.

Code: [Select]

That is definitely a line ending problem.

"\r" character found their way in and are confusing bash.

Did you edit that script and if so with what? If you didn't edit it, I must have screwed up the line endings when I modified the file before updating the toolkit zip file.

The line numbers in the error messages are all lines that are just empty/newlines.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 07:24 AM by jnmartin84 »

Offline jnmartin84

• View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 02, 2018, 07:22 AM »
This might be my fault.

I had to make a last-minute change to the Bash script bundled in the toolkit and in the process I might have screwed up the line endings. I'm looking into it now.

Offline Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 04, 2018, 03:13 PM »
I was doing more research on split-screen Doom last night. It sounds like the Xbox version did it by running an entire copy of the Doom engine sort of as separate processes for each player / each "screen" split.

Have you looked at DOOM Legacy? IIRC, that engine had split screen, but I can't recall if they ever released the source or not. It's supposed to have low sysreqs, so it might not be programmed the same way the XBox/360 did it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 03:17 PM by Asaki »

Offline jnmartin84

• View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 10, 2018, 10:28 AM »

Have you looked at DOOM Legacy? IIRC, that engine had split screen, but I can't recall if they ever released the source or not. It's supposed to have low sysreqs, so it might not be programmed the same way the XBox/360 did it.

I want to say it was ZDoom that implemented it but could be very wrong.

It basically involved rewriting a majority of the player handling code in the Doom engine that assumed a single player only for a given instance of the engine. LOTS of work.

Offline swaaye

• View Profile
« Reply #832 on: January 15, 2018, 12:12 AM »
It's interesting that GCC produced code so inefficient.   I suppose MS-DOS Doom used assembly to perform as well as possible though eh?  If the 94MHz VR4300 is like a 486 in speed it really shouldn't have trouble with Doom.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 12:19 AM by swaaye »

Offline Rude29

• View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 15, 2018, 12:57 AM »
This might be my fault.

I had to make a last-minute change to the Bash script bundled in the toolkit and in the process I might have screwed up the line endings. I'm looking into it now.
Any new finds? Currently experiencing the same problem.

Offline armstrong14

• View Profile
« Reply #834 on: February 13, 2018, 08:13 PM »
Same issue, I'm not able to get 64DOOM Builder v1.0 to actually work.

Error message is:

I've tried editing the script to simply remove the space gaps between commands (similar to the old one), but no luck. Winds up breaking even more lol...

Only real difference I can see, is the fact it's got spaces & gaps that make it much more simple to read.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:29 PM by armstrong14 »

Offline Alc

• View Profile
« Reply #835 on: February 19, 2018, 07:23 AM »
I get the same error.

Offline Nightrnr

• View Profile
« Reply #836 on: February 27, 2018, 11:21 AM »
Just wanted add to the others' statements: the newest 64Doom Builder has issues: will not work at all.

I found that the commit on Nov 23, 2016 works well enough...
But I would love the updated release if it's not too much trouble to fix what's broken.

There are plenty of other ways to play Doom, of course. It just seems so at home on the N64 though.
Only thing that bugs me so far is that GOD mode is a little too easy to accidentally activate.

Anyways, I tip my hat to the one who ported it (jnmartin84).

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #837 on: March 02, 2018, 09:27 PM »
I have created a patch uploaded to my GitHub fork which should fix your issues with make_doom.sh: https://github.com/networkfusion/64doom/tree/make_doom-patch

I have also created a pull request, so hopefully it will make it into the official repo soon...
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth...

Offline Nightrnr

• View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 15, 2018, 12:39 PM »
Still doesn't work for me (tried the updated make_doom.sh, but didn't notice any changes)
...it's quite likely that I don't know what I'm doing with this (not sure if this is only useful when compiling, which I have no experience with nor intentions to do on my own)...

Anyways, I'm content that the issue is raised, if nothing else.
I think I am just happy with what I have for now; just running Ultimate Doom as I don't want to dedicate a memory pak to the game (episode selects are better than the other 32 level wads, level select code notwithstanding--> the save bug is too annoying anyways).
I do wonder if the new commit plays and sounds any better though.

Thanks so far :)

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 15, 2018, 04:24 PM »
...I don't want to dedicate a memory pak to the game (episode selects are better than the other 32 level wads, level select code notwithstanding--> the save bug is too annoying anyways).

The ED64 allows you to back up and restore the contents of the controller pak (the memory pak) to the SD card and back again, so even if you only have the one SD card you can still use it for Doom (or anything else) and then store the data on an SD card with just a little trouble.

What save bug are you talking about, by the way?