Author Topic: UltraHDMI Group Buy  (Read 12922 times)

Offline Gh0st

• View Profile
UltraHDMI Group Buy
« on: November 21, 2015, 01:19 AM »
UPDATE 12/3/15 The order has officially been placed. No new orders will be accepted. At this time, I have no plans to arrange another groupbuy for the foreseeable future. If you're interested in arranging your own groupbuy, find Marshall's email on his site, retroactive.be, and contact him directly to get info on purchasing boards.
For those already in the groupbuy, your boards are being shipped today. Check your email for the tracking number.

UPDATE 12/7/15  Marshall still hasn't given me a tracking number, leading me to believe that he had to place another order of kits before our order could be fulfilled. He has not responded to PM, and I will email him and let you know the results. Marshall sent the tracking number, which I'm PMing to all in the buy. Wait until tomorrow, December 8th, to PM me if you haven't gotten the number, as I can only send it to 4 people at once.

Hello everyone,
Marshall H. of RetroActive has released the UltraHDMI boards to installers. If you're not familiar with the board, he has a write up here (ultrahdmi.retroactive.be). Basically, it takes the direct digital video and audio outputs of the N64, upscales the video to a selected resolution, outputs digital HDMI sound, and allows the use of custom CRT and other filters. He is also willing to sell boards, without warranty, to people with a minimum of 3 people. Per unit cost for 3-9 boards is $127, while 10-49 is $123. I know I said in a previous thread that unit cost would be around $20 or so, but that was a misreading on my part. For those of us with soldering experience, this is much better than the $160 that installers will charge, without shipping included.

I'm willing to arrange the group buy as long as those involved pay the shipping to ship out to the individual locations. I'll pay the shipping to my home. Since I'm only going to be reboxing the boards and not touching them in any way, I will not charge any additional cost above board cost, other than the shipping that will be needed to actually send them to ya'll.

Payments will be accepted over PayPal currently, others may be considered if people really want them to be. If you decide to pay me via standard payment, you will need to pay the insurance cost, as otherwise I'd be losing money by providing this service. If you feel comfortable paying me via gift, you can do so and it will be accepted. I will PM you my PayPal info if you're in the group buy.

Since the boards may run out soon, I'd like to have the order placed by 12/1/15. Everyone that wants to be a part of the group buy needs to either post in this thread or, preferably, PM me by 12PM Noon CST on December 1, 2015, to be guaranteed a spot. Since the minimum order quantity is 3, I won't be able to make the purchase if only 1 person gets on. I will notify you all if this is the case, and I'll extend the deadline. There are 3 boards being ordered for sure at a minimum, so the purchase will be happening on Dec. 1, 2015 as specified above.

I realize that I have no record regarding buying/selling products on any forums. I can only give you my word that I won't take your money and run. I would prefer to receive the monetary payment in advance of the order, so that I will not be screwed over in case someone backs out after the order. I completely understand if you're apprehensive to paying in advance: You may want to pay for PayPal insurance if this is the case. If you're down for the group buy and PM me, I'll give you the address that the boards will be shipped from so you can calculate shipping in advance.

I only have plans to initiate one group buy, but I'm sure Marshall H. would be willing to arrange other buys with other people if you email him. His email is available on his site, retroactive.be.

Thanks for reading this, and I look forward to doing a group buy with all of you!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 08:18 PM by Gh0st »

Offline wprpalmeida

• View Profile
Re: UltraHDMI Group Buy
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 01:28 AM »
I am interested, but I'm from Brazil. How much do you think shipping would be?

Offline Gh0st

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 01:36 AM »
I'm not sure. I'm not comfortable divulging my exact location in public, but I will say that I'm in the US, so we're looking at some international rate. I will provide a tracking number if you like, but I have no experience with international shipping so I can't say how that will go. It looks like USPS will be $25 (really $25.25, but I don't mind eating a quarter).

Offline KalessinDB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 02:05 PM »
Good luck, but I'll say this has some pretty delicate soldering so I imagine self installs will be difficult. I'm not personally comfortable with that, but good luck to all who are!
Attempting a complete NTSC-U NES set.  Sell me your games!
What I've Got.  253/677 licensed games, 39/95 unlicensed games (drawing # from NA's "semi-official" list

Offline Gh0st

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 09:06 PM »
Good luck, but I'll say this has some pretty delicate soldering so I imagine self installs will be difficult. I'm not personally comfortable with that, but good luck to all who are!

For those experienced with soldering, it shouldn't be too bad. I have a few bigger projects under my belt, so it shouldn't be too bad, although I agree that your warning holds true for most. I'd say you should be able to get away with using a new pencil iron around 25-30W, but it may not be the most pleasant experience. The hardest part is the ribbon connection to the video output, which shouldn't be too bad if you have a steady hand and don't put too much solder (better safe than sorry if you're inexperienced).

I will agree with you though, that anyone that hasn't touched an iron in their lives and doesn't know anyone that has should very highly consider getting someone else to do the install if they aren't able to put some projects together that will make them more comfortable.

Offline wprpalmeida

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 02:56 AM »
I'm not sure. I'm not comfortable divulging my exact location in public, but I will say that I'm in the US, so we're looking at some international rate. I will provide a tracking number if you like, but I have no experience with international shipping so I can't say how that will go. It looks like USPS will be $25 (really $25.25, but I don't mind eating a quarter).
Yikes, i guess i'll wait until i travel to the USA again then. This difference in shipping would pretty much pay for the install

Sent from my D6643 using Tapatalk

Offline Gh0st

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 10:35 PM »
So that everyone knows, I have had private discussions with forum members who have confirmed their orders, and we have met the minimum of 3, so the buy is happening for sure on 12/1/15. Remember that if 10 boards are ordered, the per-unit cost goes down to $123.

Offline gmipf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 12:22 AM »
I'm also interested. Please contact me.

Offline Terabyte

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 05:48 AM »
Add me to the list as well. Thanks!

Offline Gh0st

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 09:45 PM »
Update: Those in the groupbuy have officially confirmed a minimum order of 10 boards. Assuming that we don't reach 50 boards (which, with one day left, would surprise me), board cost is now $123 and should stay that way. For those who have already confirmed their participation, expect a PM within the hour with detailed instructions on payment.

23 hours left until the order will be placed, after 12 Noon on December 1, 2015, I cannot guarantee anyone else a board.

Offline citrus3000psi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 06:16 PM »
PM sent

Offline Gh0st

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 08:29 PM »
See the first post for update. Spots are no longer guaranteed. Once payment is received from all groupbuy members, the order will be made, and no one else will be able to get in the groupbuy. From this point on, you will have 24 hours from the time I send my PP info to you to pay, otherwise you risk losing your spot. For those who PMd me before the 12 Noon CST deadline (before this post was made), your spot is reserved for 3 more days. After this time, if everyone but you has paid, you will be left out of the groupbuy.

EDIT: For total clarity, we do have 10 boards paid for, so the price break will still apply. I'm waiting on one person to pay, and he's stated that he will pay tonight, so if you want in, I'd recommend PMing me ASAP.

Edit: No more are being accepted into the groupbuy at this time.

Last Edit: The groupbuy is over, currently awaiting the main shipment to send boards to those in the groupbuy. See first post for more info.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 07:26 PM by Gh0st »

Offline brooksyx

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 10:41 PM »
Man I would have gotten in on this except wow those are some tiny spots to solder too!
NES - EDN8 | SNES - Super ED | Genesis ED-MD | Gameboy - EDGB | N64  - ED64 | Game Geear - Everdrive GG | GBA - EZ-Flash IV| Gamecube - XenoGC & EZ Flash IV | NDSL - R4 wood & EZ Flash 3in1

Offline radensb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 07:57 PM »
Group Buy complete. Awesome!

Does he actually have new boards in stock already? Or are we on some kind of a backorder list for a future fab or something?

Offline Gh0st

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 08:01 PM »
Group Buy complete. Awesome!

Does he actually have new boards in stock already? Or are we on some kind of a backorder list for a future fab or something?
He said that he had an initial run of 50, and that he was going to order another 50 soon due to the demand. If we're on a backorder list, we should get the order fulfilled soon.
If you want to confirm this, see the 6th post here: http://retroactive.be/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7&start=250

EDIT: Still no tracking number yet, I've PMed him on his forum and am awaiting a response for when I'll get tracking.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 04:54 AM by Gh0st »