Author Topic: Is it possible to run 64DD games on the ED64 in the future ?  (Read 10772 times)

Offline Uberrich

• View Profile
I already have a 64DD (Mostly for the F-Zero Expansion pack. :p); however, was curious if it would be possible to load them from the ED64 cart in the future (with or without the 64DD). Thanks. :)

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
Re: Is it possible to run 64DD games on the ED64 in the future ?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 12:34 AM »
At some point it could be possible if Krikzz really look into it but right now we don't even havbe a way of making full proper dump of 64DD disk. I know some peoples are working on interfacing the 64DD to a PC to dump the disk but since it is not yet finished there is no way to even try to simulate a 64DD with the FPGA of flashcart.

Offline Gh0st

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 12:47 AM »
The F-Zero Expansion pack has been ported to cartridge/rom format.  Someone took the time and hacked the F-Zero game, and added all the tracks from the  F-Zero Expansion pack.  It is a hacked rom that can be played back on the ED64.
Where can I find this hack?

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 06:09 PM »
Thanks for the links, but can the editor from the 64DD version be used on the Everdrive 64? I know there's a Windows based editor (http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/434/) but I'd like to try the editor that comes with the 64DD version of F-Zero X.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 08:29 PM »
You can't. How would you get the editor out from the Expansion kit?

Also I saw somewhere online that the ED64 was incompatible with the 64DD (ie. you can't link an F-Zero X rom loaded on the ED64 with the Expansion kit). It may or may not be fixable but Krikzz doesn't have a 64DD so he can't test it.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 09:13 PM »
side A - http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/949/
side B - http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/950/

I do not believe this is correct, this patch appear to be custom track made by the patch author, not the original 64DD or expansion map. Quote from the author: ''i finally got around getting all my tracks from the F-Zero X Expansion Kit to the FZEP Track Editor. i picked from my own original tracks and made 2 track packs. this one is the first one named “F-Zero UchiX ~Side A~” ''

I couldn't find anything about a patch to transfer the official 64dd map in the F-Zero ROM.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 10:41 PM »
side A - http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/949/
side B - http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/950/

I do not believe this is correct, this patch appear to be custom track made by the patch author, not the original 64DD or expansion map. Quote from the author: ''i finally got around getting all my tracks from the F-Zero X Expansion Kit to the FZEP Track Editor. i picked from my own original tracks and made 2 track packs. this one is the first one named “F-Zero UchiX ~Side A~” ''

I couldn't find anything about a patch to transfer the official 64dd map in the F-Zero ROM.
oh right, i cant seem to find anything else about the hack that  Keith_Loving mentioned, i thought that was it  :(
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 04:22 PM »
You can't.

OK, thanks.

How would you get the editor out from the Expansion kit?

Well, the quote was "The F-Zero Expansion pack has been ported to cartridge/rom format. ", and saying "ported" rather than "dumped" implied that it had been modified to work on N64 backup devices, so I hoped this included making the editor work on the N64 + ED64 - 64DD. As far as I am aware, the 64DD didn't have any discrete chipset for running programs, so a modified 64DD program could run on an N64 without a 64DD.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 07:13 PM »
Making the f-zero editor work as a cart would not be easy at all and would require a lot of work as far as I know. The editor is inserted in the 64dd and require the original f-zero cart in the n64 cart slot to work so you would need to combine the two and somewhat manage to redirect all the call to the cart slot or something like that. Plus, where would you find the storage to save all those custom track? The custom rom would need to have a way of accessing the Everdrive 64 SD card and as far as I know this is not possible as of now with the Everdrive. In any case, I wouldn't be too hopeful, I think your best bet to get the expansion track would be to wait for a proper disk dump and then use the pc editor to get the track and re-inject them in the cart version.