Author Topic: does this work for GBC games ?  (Read 965 times)

Offline SG333gg

• View Profile
does this work for GBC games ?
« on: September 15, 2021, 09:14 PM »
Hello, I am trying to solve a problem and i needed to collect some info.

Can a GB ever-drive run Pokemon yellow?
Can a GB ever drive emulating pokemon blue trade with a normal copy of the game?
Can this run on a gamecube ?

Which verison of everdrive gb should i get if i just want to trade pokemon to an original cart?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 07:58 AM by SG333gg »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: does this work for GBC games ?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 12:48 PM »
Yes, all Everdrive GB versions, even the oldest ones (before the X-versions) can run the first Pokemon generation (red, green, blue and yellow).

Yes, trading with another Gameboy is not a problem no matter if both carts are real or flashcarts. It's not really emulation, the game runs on the Gameboy not on the cart, so there is no difference from the real cart once it's running thus trading works.

Yes, all Everdrive GB versions works on the SGB and the Gameboy Player.

Any Everdrive GB should work for trading.
Only the N64 Transfer Pak is a problem and none of the Everdrives works with that since they all boot from a master menu.
For Pokemon Gold, Silver Crystal you need the X7 because of the RTC. These games should at least boot on any Everdrive GB though so trading probably works but I'm not sure what the consequences are, and the games are not really enjoyable without the RTC.

Offline SG333gg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 07:36 PM »
Yes, all Everdrive GB versions, even the oldest ones (before the X-versions) can run the first Pokemon generation (red, green, blue and yellow).

Yes, trading with another Gameboy is not a problem no matter if both carts are real or flashcarts. It's not really emulation, the game runs on the Gameboy not on the cart, so there is no difference from the real cart once it's running thus trading works.

Yes, all Everdrive GB versions works on the SGB and the Gameboy Player.

Any Everdrive GB should work for trading.
Only the N64 Transfer Pak is a problem and none of the Everdrives works with that since they all boot from a master menu.
For Pokemon Gold, Silver Crystal you need the X7 because of the RTC. These games should at least boot on any Everdrive GB though so trading probably works but I'm not sure what the consequences are, and the games are not really enjoyable without the RTC.

Given the new games need a working clock ,I dont think they can since trading requires ingame saves. I noticed the x3 model for pretty cheap along with the x5, but again pokemon requires working ingame saving so im not sure if they could trade.

As for the n64 transfer pak issue, cant that be fixed if the everdrive trades to a legit copy of the game then move it to there?

Offline Localhorst86

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 11:04 AM »
Given the new games need a working clock ,I dont think they can since trading requires ingame saves. I noticed the x3 model for pretty cheap along with the x5, but again pokemon requires working ingame saving so im not sure if they could trade.

The X3 does support in-game saves, the difference between the X3 and the X5/7 in that regard is the fact that you need to return to the everdrive menu by pressing the button in the cartridge in order to trigger writing the savegame to the cartridge.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 01:39 PM »
If it didn't even support normal saving it wouldn't be much use of a flashcart. I think trading works even with 2nd gen. If you just use the Everdrive GB as a means to trade to/from a second save file the RTC might not matter. You don't even need to return to the Everdrive menu to save the changes on X3 after a trade, unless you want to prevent duplicating the monster you are trading. But I haven't tried it myself and can't confirm it.

If you have the real cart and the ability to dump and restore the SRAM you can move the save file you want to appear in Stadium to your real cart and use that with the Transfer Pak. Trading is only good for maybe one or two monsters in Pokemon, but you can't trade things like items which can also be stored in Pokemon Stadium, and there are other games using the Transfer Pak which won't work.

Offline SG333gg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 06:24 AM »
I am just trying to add custom pokemon to my everdrive copy of pokemon stadium. I am trying to find the cheapest way to do this, and I thought using a GB everdrive as a middle man of sorts may work, as i dislike the movesets of rentals with a great passion. 

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 12:20 PM »
Ok in that case trading might be the easiest solution.

Offline SG333gg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2021, 08:34 AM »
Ok in that case trading might be the easiest solution.
So far its been a nightmare, I got a everdrive x5, and no matter what I seem to do the cart will not get the trading to work. By the time one game saves the other disconnects due to "friend not ready" then the game other that says says it disconnected due to inactivity, any suggestions? As soon as one game saves it just disconnects.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 10:55 AM by SG333gg »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2021, 01:41 PM »
Poor link cable connection maybe? Make sure you do the procedure right according to the manual or gamefaq.

Offline SG333gg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2021, 09:17 PM »
Poor link cable connection maybe? Make sure you do the procedure right according to the manual or gamefaq.
Might have been a save battery issue, tried my copy of silver and crystal last night when i had the issue, this morning its now "new game" option only. I just find it odd my copy of red still saves correctly. Oh well.

Tried a copy of red and everdrive yellow, but when the "Where would you like to go" page opens, it wont let me select trade center or even move the menu. Starting to think its my GBA cable.
'
EDIT: It was the GBA cable, had to use a GBC cable for it to work, turns out my edited file didnt get flagged in pokemon red so i was able to do the trade, then transfer them onto pokemon stadium.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 09:34 AM by SG333gg »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2021, 12:27 PM »
GBC games can only trade using the a DMG or GBP/GBC link cable. GBA link cables only works with GBA games.

Offline SG333gg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 02:37 AM »
GBC games can only trade using the a DMG or GBP/GBC link cable. GBA link cables only works with GBA games.
I am now aware of that, I just felt i should edit my post to include that bit of info to help others having the same issue.

Offline Sypran

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 06:40 AM »
Might have been a save battery issue, tried my copy of silver and crystal last night when i had the issue, this morning its now "new game" option only. I just find it odd my copy of red still saves correctly. Oh well.

Pokemon G/S/C are notorious for their save batteries dying rapidly because of the Real Time Clock, which has something like 5x the power draw.
Its estimated that their cartridge batteries last ~7-10 years (This matches my own experience. When Heart Gold, Soul Silver came out (2009), several of my friends had dead batteries in their original carts, and mine died sometime in 2010).

At this point I consider the batteries of R/B on borrowed time, or down to luck of the batch. Ive had to replace the batteries of both Black and White ESRB logo carts. (Black logos are ~2 years newer) Pokemon Yellow, if any still work are certainly on borrowed time, since it uses the smaller CR1616 battery vs the regular CR2025

Side note: In my experience those generic batteries with tabs you find on the internet don't last nearly as long (Maybe 5-7 years in G/S/C?). Ive had to replace the replacements of replacements of carts I fixed in 2009. At this point I'm been installing battery socket mods in G/S/C carts, that way you can just get a name brand battery from a drug store and easily replace it when the time comes.