Author Topic: How to make MSU-1 Video ROMS? a.k.a. Encode video for playback w/ SD2SNES.  (Read 16671 times)

Offline Hardwireless

• View Profile
Feeling a bit foolish here as I'm struggling getting audio to sync despite all the similar comments and helpful suggestions in this and other threads.  Here is what I've done so far:

1) I've followed the instructions provide above and created both a *.msu file and *.pcm file from a video encoded at 29.97 fps.
2) I've used HxD to do a Hex edit to the msu file to 02 02 01 to indicate 29.97 fps.
3) Playback of the file and video works on SD2SNES, audio runs at correct speed but the video runs a little slow.
4) I've tried playing from both BSNES on my PC and SD2SNES hardware with the same results so I'm confident it isn't an SD card read speed issue.

I have an NTSC SNES and TV I'm using.  I've also confirmed the number of frames generated by ImageMagick is correct.  I have a 71 second video and 2,139 frames.  The playback rate is just slow (plays in about 86 seconds compared to the 71 it should be, which suggests it is playing back at the PAL framerate of 25 fps despite my hex edits indicating otherwise).

What am I missing?  I appreciate the expert advice!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 11:32 PM by Hardwireless »

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
When you play it in BSNES, what does the FPS counter indicate? It does sound like a 50/60Hz issue and sounds like the ROM used for playback is forcing itself to 50Hz.

Offline Hardwireless

• View Profile
Ah, good point!  Yes, it shows 50 FPS (screenshot attached), which reconfirms it is playing slow.  Any idea what I might be doing wrong?  Is there anywhere other than the hex value update I need to make changes?

You can see my hex file edit to the MSU file showing 02 02 01 also attached.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 05:59 PM by Hardwireless »

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
You should be able to force NTSC in the video mode settings in BSNES. As for SD2SNES, apart from a hex edit I'm not sure.

Offline Goodwin01782

• View Profile
Hi everyone,

Recently got the sd2snes and have been trying out alot of MSU 1 stuff on my machine, I downloaded the MSU 1 video folder off of the googledrive link and have copied it to my SD card some videos play fine with audio where alot of others load up with either a blue or brown screen with no audio or video.

Can anyone help with this please?

Offline aleomark

• Lets Rock!
    • View Profile
I am working on automating all the steps as a script. Will post a link to the git repo w/ readme when it's completed.

its been some months since these, hope you still want to make the script

Offline KatalysiS

• View Profile
Good job guys! Do we have a 'definitive' guide for how to make videos? I'm confused... Thanks!  :)