Author Topic: EverDrive X7 3.3v Logic Level vs. Genesis 5v Logic Level - Long Term Concern?  (Read 2174 times)

Offline NerdyBros

• Pixels Never Die!
    • View Profile
Hi,

While I've owned my X7 for a while and had no issues, I originally made the decision to buy it over the X5 for being more feature rich. However, after reading the article below, it got me concerned about potential long term damage to my model 1 Genesis. Is this something I should be worried about? I did see some extensive discussions here around the validity of the claim, but wanted to understand if in fact, it's something to be cautious about with my older systems.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2019/03/mega-everdrive-x7-almost-everything.html
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 04:04 AM by NerdyBros »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Please read: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8075.msg62333#msg62333
If it still not enough, then think about those NES carts with bus conflicts, according to "slow die due bus loading"  theory they should kill consoles also, but it not happens.

Offline NerdyBros

• Pixels Never Die!
    • View Profile
Thank you so much! I was hoping to get an official reply. Either way, I pretty much own everyone of your carts, but just in case I also bought the X5  ;D I do own the MEGA SD as well, and while it does have a lot of bells and whistles, I found that in terms of overall stability, speed, and performance, I still prefer the EverDrives  ;)

Offline NerdyBros

• Pixels Never Die!
    • View Profile
I'm also sorry for not finding the original post. I'm sure you're sick of answering the same question. I do appreciate the reply, and I promise you I'm a loyal customer with EverDrives for every system I own.

Offline ccateni

• View Profile
I'm also sorry for not finding the original post. I'm sure you're sick of answering the same question. I do appreciate the reply, and I promise you I'm a loyal customer with EverDrives for every system I own.
I'll answer it for him...
While it may be a concern to some people, krikzz stands by his projects and stated that the everdrives would not burn your console to death. DB electronic's article was more about the Chinese clones of the overdrive and multicarts. Which people should avoid unless you have an analogue product, which Kevtris stands will not damage those FPGA consoles. (Video where its mentioned https://youtu.be/d_OW_t9RXEM?t=369)

Taken from original post on the matter: "First of all i would say that almost all modern everdrives used voltage trnslators from 5v to 3.3v bus, the only carts which still use direct connection between 5v and 3.3v is mega-x7(partially), everdrive-gg and flaskit. So, modern everdrives does not have have any risks, even if db-electronics would right." (Krikzz)
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8075.msg62333#msg62333

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Yeah most new Everdrives have proper level translation, like the Mega Everdrive X5. But what about the Master Everdrive? René says that's also a bad design:
Quote from: René
M29W type Flash connected to the Master System 5V bus using 100 ohm series resistors. This is not a good interface. No ground pour, no reference designators…

Maybe it's time for a new Master Everdrive with nice level translation? I would buy a 44-pin version with proper translation if it would work on Sega SG-1000/SC-3000, Japanese Master System and Mark III which the current 50-pin one seems to have trouble with.

Please read: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8075.msg62333#msg62333
If it still not enough, then think about those NES carts with bus conflicts, according to "slow die due bus loading"  theory they should kill consoles also, but it not happens.
There you deal with the 3.3V translation and ground plane (at least for Mega Everdrive X5) questions, but what about that about audio amplification?

About Mega Everdrive (v3 or older one):
Another really bad design choice on this board is the fact that two FPGA outputs directly drive the cartridge audio inputs without any sort of amplifier. This is particularly bad since most Model 1 Genesis’s have 75 ohm inputs on the audio lines. This input impedance is much too low for the FPGA to drive directly and the pin current limits are surely exceeded.

About Mega Everdrive X7:
It is not quite clear to me after searching through the internet if this Mega Everdrive v3 is the same PCB as the Mega Everdrive x7. There does appear to be more circuitry near the cartridge audio inputs (bottom left) but it is unclear whether or not U2 is used as an amplifier for the Model 1’s low input impedance.

René says nothing about the X5 not having any audio amplification though, only that about the poor ground pour (though Krikzz proved otherwise).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 02:12 AM by nuu »

Offline Link83

• View Profile
Maybe it's time for a new Master Everdrive with nice level translation?
The Master Everdrive X7 with voltage level translators has been available since February 2018?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
That's good to hear. I guess he was talking about the old Master Everdrive then.
A 44-pin version with SG-1000/SC-3000 support and work on Japanese MarkIII/SMS would still be nice though.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
Yeah most new Everdrives have proper level translation, like the Mega Everdrive X5. But what about the Master Everdrive? René says that's also a bad design...
Wait a minute, are these quotes from that old article by the french guy or from a new article (2020)?
Are we again arguing this?
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Yes the quote I posted was from that article, but OP's topic was really about a 2019 article and Mega Everdrive X7.
No, Link83 just said the latest Master Everdrive is supposedly already doing proper voltage translation, so there is nothing to argue about.