Author Topic: N8 Pro NTSC - Games are too fast  (Read 697 times)

Offline jasonr1023

• View Profile
N8 Pro NTSC - Games are too fast
« on: April 19, 2021, 08:16 PM »
I did a search and could not find answers, so my apologies if I missed it.

I have a USA NTSC Nintendo.  Using the video/audio ports out of the right side.  Playing SMB (E)(REVA)[!]or SMB3 (E)[!].  (these are the only two games I have tried.

The speed seems to be about 10%-25% faster than the original cartridge.  The music sounds fast, and the movement is fast too.
How do I slow things down to normal?

Great work on the cartridge!  It'll be great to not have to keep switching carts when I want to change games all the time!
(And some of the games are getting valuable - I'd like to just store them away)

Thank you!

Cart type = N8-PRO-NES
OS Ver = 2.11
OS Date = 12-27-2020
IO Core = 1.00
Build Date = 02-18-2021 Time = 6:48pm
battery = 3.13v
boot count = 9
games played = 9
--
device id = 17
cart form = nes
cart date 2-18-2021 6:48p
os build: 12-27-2020 1:13pm
os dist: 12.27.2020 2:07pm
os version: 0211
bootloader: 100
io-core: 100
HW Rev 001
vcc---
1.2v=0120
2.5v=0249
5.0v=0471
vbat=0313
pwr src = sys[1], USB[0]
sram crc = E20EEA22 (BLANK)
----
Bottom of nes says nes-001 use adapter nes-002
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 08:57 PM by jasonr1023 »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: N8 Pro NTSC - Games are too fast
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 11:28 PM »
The (E) suggests that those are PAL versions of the games, so they should be faster. They are made to play faster so they would play correctly on a PAL NES. Try an NTSC version of the ROMs. "Super Mario Bros. (World).nes" is the no-intro naming of NTSC SMB1 and "Super Mario Bros. 3 (Japan).nes" or "Super Mario Bros. 3 (USA).nes" for SMB3.

Japan - NTSC
USA - NTSC
Europe - PAL

There are others but these are the main ones you will see.

Many released PAL ROMs were never made faster though and will play identically to the NTSC version (and therefore play slow on PAL NES). Some PAL games are designed for the PAL NES timings only and turns out very glitchy on an NTSC Famicom or NES, and vice versa.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 02:27 AM »
The (E) suggests that those are PAL versions of the games, so they should be faster. They are made to play faster so they would play correctly on a PAL NES. Try an NTSC version of the ROMs. "Super Mario Bros. (World).nes" is the no-intro naming of NTSC SMB1 and "Super Mario Bros. 3 (Japan).nes" or "Super Mario Bros. 3 (USA).nes" for SMB3.

Japan - NTSC
USA - NTSC
Europe - PAL

There are others but these are the main ones you will see.

Many released PAL ROMs were never made faster though and will play identically to the NTSC version (and therefore play slow on PAL NES). Some PAL games are designed for the PAL NES timings only and turns out very glitchy on an NTSC Famicom or NES, and vice versa.

On the subject of that here's some interesting single words and what they mean E = Europe region/PAL game, U = USA/NTSC game, J = Japan/NTSC game. (World) = means it was released around the same time for example if a Japan rom says (World) it means their is no differences between the N/E version of the same rom (This kind of confused me years ago till I realized this lol) some more mind bending words would be "Random game name" 0.1 = Original "Random game name" 1.1 = Revision 1 and "Random game name" 1.2 = Revsion 2 so usually alphabetical revisions can get confusing but usually they mean the same thing so if a rom name says Super Mario World with a random number its likely the 2nd revision and stuff like that. Likely their is other key words too but they are the important ones to note.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 08:39 AM »
No-intro naming uses Rev A, Rev B etc instead of V1.1, V1.2 etc but they mean the same thing (V1.1 is the same as Rev A). It's strongly recommended to use no-intro ROMs instead of goodroms as many of the goodroms are incorrectly dumped and/or incorrectly labeled. Some use "[!]" even though it's a bad dump.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 05:00 PM »
No-intro naming uses Rev A, Rev B etc instead of V1.1, V1.2 etc but they mean the same thing (V1.1 is the same as Rev A). It's strongly recommended to use no-intro ROMs instead of goodroms as many of the goodroms are incorrectly dumped and/or incorrectly labeled. Some use "[!]" even though it's a bad dump.

Yeah that's true Rev A is usually the same as v1.1 and Rev B is the same as v1.2, so if a game said to use REV B or super Mario bros it would be 1.2 on some roms but it has the same meaning.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline jasonr1023

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 04:08 AM »
Thanks everyone!
Switching from (E) to (U) seems to have solved my speed problems.

Have a great weekend!