General > EverDrive GB

GameShark To GameGenie v0.1

(1/4) > >>

bestpig:
Hello,

I have seen a lot of people asking for GameGenie code, but they are rare compared to GameShark one and the answer is always, "you can't".
So I just made a proof of concept to convert GameShark to GameGenie codes.
It has been tested on different ROM, and converted code are compatible with the EverDrive of course.
One GameShark code is converted to a lot of GameGenie codes, so you won't be able to convert a lot of codes due to the limit of codes you can put into your EverDrive.

If you want to convert multiple code, do the conversion at the same time.
You can't convert different code separately, the cheat in memory will override, so convert them all in one time.

GameShark codes are often region free, so don't hesitate to test GameShark code from another region.

There are requirements for converting code.
 - You have to upload the ROM on the page (Everything is done on client side, so no ROM is uploaded on my server, ROM are kept in your browser)

https://www.bestpig.fr/gs2gg/

You can view the source code, the web page is not obfuscated (Yes I'm running python in the web browser :P).
I plan to release a python software on GitHub later.

I just finished the software 1 hour ago, so there are maybe bugs, let me now if you encountered one.

Presentation about my works: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/18QJiQPnl_ZkKEYDkzRUdiGhdQLkWB-7muLSxDUh1q0E/edit?usp=sharing

BestPig

Richardragon87:
Wow this is great. I remember Action Replay and Xploder GB being able to use them on the fly too, as does GGGuy I think though it has been quite a few years since I patched some GB roms years back so I am not sure on it now.

bestpig:
I never used GGGuy, but yes, it can probably be used to bypass the GameGenie limitation.

I can easily add an option to save a patched GB rom with all codes if people are interested by this option.

Richardragon87:

--- Quote from: bestpig on February 22, 2021, 01:54 AM ---I never used GGGuy, but yes, it can probably be used to bypass the GameGenie limitation.

I can easily add an option to save a patched GB rom with all codes if people are interested by this option.

--- End quote ---

Update: Xploder GB has a built in colour trainer but it only worked with Action Replay and Gameshark codes. the Gamegenie was a unique cheat device that used a much shorter string of codes while AR and GS used a longer one... I think one of the systems were hard to replicate codes which is why GGGuy was created as a lot of devices these days couldn't do Game Genie either which is why stuff like that was vital.

bestpig:
The difference between GameShark, Action Replay (probably others) and GameGenie is that they don't act at the same level.
GameShark add a hook into a game and patch a value in RAM at each screen refresh (VBLANK interrupt)
GameGenie just patch a byte in the ROM.

So code can't be compatible, they don't act at the same level.
So what my program do, is that I patch the ROM to add the same hook as GameShark do but directly in the ROM, and after that I create a code for each byte I modify on the ROM.
So with that way, I'm able to convert code from GameShark to GameGenie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version