Author Topic: Error with samsung SD cards? (Error 63 and 65)  (Read 5467 times)

Offline dav3yb

• View Profile
Error with samsung SD cards? (Error 63 and 65)
« on: October 19, 2014, 11:31 PM »
So I got an NES Everdrive N8 recently, and i've finally gotten the chance to set it up in a case and play it.  I have several 8gb Samsung SD cards that i bought for general things, including the everdrive, but i've run into some issues with them.  I think its isolated to the SD card, since another one seems to work perfectly.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-Adapter-MB-MS08DA-AM/dp/B00IVPU6GO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413750379&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+8gb+sd

This is the SD card i've got.  They come with an adapter, and I'm currently using one in my Everdrive 64 without issues thusfar.  I've attempted to format the cards in different ways, all of them FAT32, with various allocation sizes to no avail.  I've only copied the files over in Windows 7, no external file copy program. 

The OS loads up just fine initially, but after attempting to load a game, it returns an IO Error.  I got a couple different ones, 63 and 65 i think were the main ones.  And the error continued after attempting to reset the system.  I had to do a full power cycle to get it to return to the OS menu.  This happens with 2 different SD cards, although they are exactly the same.

I currently have a Kingston SD card, 4GB, in right now, which i formatted with all default values and copies the OS and games over the exact same way, and it appears to work fine. 

I'm curious if there are any suggestions to get the Samsung Cards working, or what might cause the error messages im getting to be returned. 

Thanks for the help! 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:48 PM by dav3yb »

Offline Sunray

• View Profile
Re: Error with samsung SD cards? (Error 63 and 65)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 09:02 PM »
I had similar problems with a Samsung MB-SS8GB/EU and the Super Everdrive. Cheap ebay cards work better.

Offline dav3yb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 06:32 PM »
I had similar problems with a Samsung MB-SS8GB/EU and the Super Everdrive. Cheap ebay cards work better.

The strange thing to me is that the same SD card works perfectly fine in the Everdrive 64.  But just has issues with the EDN8.  Kinda sad about it because i bought several of the samsung sd cards for my everdrives.  I'll be getting a gameboy everdrive soon and im wondering if they'll work in it ok. 

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 07:38 PM »

The strange thing to me is that the same SD card works perfectly fine in the Everdrive 64.

Actually it is not strange at all. If card works with one everdrive, it not means that it will work with another. Different everdrives uses different SD card controllers, furthermore, ED64 uses SDIO protocol, but N8 uses SPI protocol.

Offline dav3yb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 05:35 AM »

The strange thing to me is that the same SD card works perfectly fine in the Everdrive 64.

Actually it is not strange at all. If card works with one everdrive, it not means that it will work with another. Different everdrives uses different SD card controllers, furthermore, ED64 uses SDIO protocol, but N8 uses SPI protocol.

hmmmm.... is there any way to tell what SD cards might/might not work?  also, since were on the subject, what does the Gameboy ED use?  I'll be getting one soon and if i need to hunt a new SD card i'd like to know.

thanks for all the work though!  ED's are great, we had a blast with my ED64 at a friends place last night. 

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 06:24 AM »
There is no way to say which will work or not, the only suggestion is not buy cheap cards via internet. Almost all original cards working fine, i preffer sandisk and transcend

Offline b0bellino

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 01:45 AM »
I'm having the same problems with two different Transcend cards of 4 and 8Gb, I guess they unfortunately just don't mix well with the Everdrive N8. Posting this for future reference for other users.

Other users had the same bad experience with Transcend micro sd's on Everdrive N8: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=2554.0. Hopefully they will work better on my Mega Everdrive, SD2SNES and Everdrive N64. Will report back on this.