Author Topic: EDGB compatibility list  (Read 17337 times)

Offline Galron

• View Profile
EDGB compatibility list
« on: November 25, 2016, 03:20 AM »
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/the-everdrive-gb-game-boy-and-game-boy.html?m=1

I wonder if there is anyway to make the EDGB work with some of the games with strange mappers with a firmware update or rom patches?

I'd be most interested in Robopon and the Wisdom tree games.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 03:23 AM by Galron »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: EDGB compatibility list
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 04:10 PM »
The games using an RTC, rumble pak, Gameboy Camera, tilt sensor, IR-port (HuC3), Network adapter (MBC6), and/or 128KB RAM can obviously not be fixed in a software update since the EDGB is lacking these mentioned hardware parts.
But the HuC1, MMM01, unlicensed mappers, R-Type DX, Mortal Kombat etc maybe are fixable.

I hope that Krikzz will one day release a new EDGB that has at least RTC that supports the MBC3, TAMA-5 and HuC3 mappers. Transfer Pak support is also very high on the feature wishlist.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 04:25 PM »
The lack of rtc or other features can be patched out in most cases. Alternate methods of achieving the same goals. Like ways of changing clocks on the go. There are number of these hacks already for Pokémon games.

Lack of rumble pack in general doesn't prevent the games from working.

Motion control can be remapped through hacks there is a patch for Yoshi on the GBa for example.

Hopefully though at some point someone will make a flash card that adds in at least rtc.

On gba card I'd like to see solar added possibly, and maybe motion control, and possibly even some NOR memory so that you could keep a single game in memory for purpose of DS-GBA cross compatibility.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5842.0
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 04:30 PM by Galron »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 07:03 PM »
A patched RTC game that allows for manual tuning of the clock is a poor alternative to a real RTC though, and it's limited to the games/versions of games that someone has made patches for. Which is usually only the most popular games, like English version of Pokemon.

One interesting solution could be to make standalone accessories with RTC, solar sensors, speakers, rumble motors, tilt or gyro sensors and other hardware that connects to the USB. That way people can buy only the hardware they are interested in. The current EDGB and EDGBA doesn't have USB though.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 07:44 PM »
i've been hoping for a kirby tilt n tumble control hack for a while. there are hacks for some gba games which use tilt type controls but not for the kirby gbc game for some reason :(

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 08:36 PM »
I'd like to see someone figure out a way to utilize the 'gyro' in this 'microsd' for purpose of these old games ;).

http://petapixel.com/2016/08/11/sd-card-built-gyro-sensor-stabilize-shots/

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 11:16 PM »
Look at the MCB5 Rumble Pak and the size of the Robopon cartridges and how bulky they are... It might actually be better to make it a separate combination flash cart with just enough built in memory to hold all the games, plus their regional versions (although having microsd support is fine, its just not cart I'd want to play from on regular basis for all games). Maybe incorporate both features into it.

The cart is just not really pocket friendly.

RTC however is something I'd definitely want to see on a regular sized revision. Although it would be improved if they can figure out how to have cartridge back up more than one RTC game's settings.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 11:18 PM by Galron »

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 09:01 AM »
It's also worth mentioning that the freeware version of Space Invasion works on Everdrive GB.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 04:43 PM »
I wonder  if it would be possible to make a rumble and/or infrared device in which the EDGB could be interfaced with and then slipped into your console. That could act as mcb5 or HuC1 for Few games that need them? Sort of like a GameGenie or game shark interfacing?

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 12:34 PM »
hm yes...
but at this point it seems link to be easier to create a small flashcart without sdcard, so you don't need a edgb at all.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 08:00 PM »
I wonder  if it would be possible to make a rumble and/or infrared device in which the EDGB could be interfaced with and then slipped into your console. That could act as mcb5 or HuC1 for Few games that need them? Sort of like a GameGenie or game shark interfacing?
That is what I suggested.

Is HuC1 using a separate IR-port on the cart, or does it use the one on the GBC? HuC3 seems to have an IR-port among other things.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 04:59 PM »
That is what I suggested.
Ahh I thought you meant something that attaches to a non existent usb port? Or possibly the 'ext1/2' ports?

I was thinking more something along the lines a cart that has all the extra features that a cart could be hooked to.

Sort of like the mega-memory back up device, or the various cheat code cartridge devices.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Datel-Mega-Memory/dp/B00004UBM5/

http://www.retrocollect.com/Guides/guide-how-to-backup-original-nintendo-game-boy-cartridge-save-games-sav-files-to-the-pc.html

Or perhaps something a bit thicker that the cart can actually slide into form the 'top'?

With the former one problem is that the EDGB cart (or other compatible flash carts?) could get shaken loose by the rumble feature. So a device that the cart could fit directly inside of might be a bit more 'secure'.

The one issue with motion control if was included in a device like this, it would need some way of being able to define which direction the cartridge was pointing.. Kirby's Tilt and Tumble won't work on Gameboy SP for example because cartridge slot is 'upside down'. But if you were using a rom on a device that could be assigned with the ability to change settings to invert the 'controls' and compensate for an upside down setup, it could probably fix the problem. That would make the device more useful than the original Kirby carts.

Note: it was possible to get Kirby to work correctly on GBA SP by hooking it up to one of the cheat code devices since it would realign the cartridge in the right direction.

Is HuC1 using a separate IR-port on the cart, or does it use the one on the GBC? HuC3 seems to have an IR-port among other things.
I'm not sure, I was probably mixing it up with the Huc3.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 05:41 PM by Galron »

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 10:55 PM »
so whats the deal with the freeware version of space invasion and where do you get it? i have some versions of space invasion in the no intro set, Space Invasion (Europe) (Unl), Space Invasion & Karate Joe (Europe) (Unl) and Space Invasion & Painter (Europe) (Unl) but none of these mention being freeware and i have not tested them to see if they are working or not.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 11:31 PM »
They don't work. They are mentioned in then above link.

Rocket Games
ATV Racing
Full Time Soccer
Hang Time Basketball
Karate Joe
Painter
Pocket Smash Out
Race Time
Space Invasion

These were unlicensed Game Boy Color games by Rocket Games, a label from Datel and InterAct, makers of the GameShark and Pro Action Replay cheat devices.  They also issued some multi-carts with these games.  I assume these games will work in a real Game Boy Color.  They do not work in an Everdrive GB.

Sachen and Gowin also released unlicensed Game Boy and Game Boy Color games, but they are too obscure and awful to be worth mentioning.  They will not work in an Everdrive GB.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 11:34 PM »

Here are links listing the Sachen and Gowin games:

http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/Sachen
http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/Gowin

Surprising I've tried a rom of Sachen's Thunder Blast Man, and it actually works. So perhaps other Sachen games will work as well?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:38 PM by Galron »