Author Topic: EDGB compatibility list  (Read 17678 times)

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
Re: EDGB compatibility list
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 01:55 AM »
I would wish for nothing more than to read The Word, in the Authorized Text on my DMG GameBoy :

Please Krikzz, make it happen! 8)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 02:43 AM by Great Hierophant »
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 03:30 AM »
They don't work. They are mentioned in then above link.

Rocket Games
ATV Racing
Full Time Soccer
Hang Time Basketball
Karate Joe
Painter
Pocket Smash Out
Race Time
Space Invasion

These were unlicensed Game Boy Color games by Rocket Games, a label from Datel and InterAct, makers of the GameShark and Pro Action Replay cheat devices.  They also issued some multi-carts with these games.  I assume these games will work in a real Game Boy Color.  They do not work in an Everdrive GB.

Sachen and Gowin also released unlicensed Game Boy and Game Boy Color games, but they are too obscure and awful to be worth mentioning.  They will not work in an Everdrive GB.

i know they don't work but someone mentioned earlier in the thread that the freeware version of space invasion works on everdrive gb which made me curious about it

Offline Galron

• View Profile

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 07:16 PM »
No, I wasn't referring to that Space Invasion. I was referring to the GBC game. I tried the PD version on Everdrive and it works.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 07:37 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 08:36 AM »
What is PD?

Did you find the "freeware" version?

Why not play the actual Space Invaders that these games are clones of?

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 06:22 PM »
For me it's not so much a matter of choosing to play space invasion over space invaders. it's more about collecting all roms which work on everdrive(s).
 PD is Public Domain

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2016, 02:18 PM »
Is it Space Invasion by Thalamus Interactive? Found here: http://www.nesworld.com/article.php?system=gbx&data=gbc-rocketgames

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2016, 03:39 PM »
So basically various groups hacked the Rocket Games graphics and games and then converted them into a playable compatible emulator/flash cart format?

That's not exactly "public domain" its copyright infringements galore as is any rom collecting but still very useful! Or did the original developers modify it themselves and rerelease it in useable format?

Can someone do that for the Huc3 and Wisdom Tree games and convert them to standard mappers?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 03:47 PM by Galron »

Offline Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 02:41 AM »
But the HuC1, MMM01, unlicensed mappers, R-Type DX, Mortal Kombat etc maybe are fixable.

I could've sworn I tried R-Type, I don't remember having any issues with it. Maybe I'll have to check it again.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 09:26 AM »
It's possible it may depend on the rom dump? The rom I tried loads right up into a glitched level and you have control of the ship no background and a pod trailing behind the ship, with level music playing, and status bar below. No enemies show up but you can fire weapons and even pause.

Offline Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2016, 04:13 PM »
Yeah, I guess I must not've checked it, because that's what it's doing to me.

I have updated the OS since then, but I doubt that's the issue.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2016, 02:48 PM »
So basically various groups hacked the Rocket Games graphics and games and then converted them into a playable compatible emulator/flash cart format?

That's not exactly "public domain" its copyright infringements galore as is any rom collecting but still very useful! Or did the original developers modify it themselves and rerelease it in useable format?
It says that the games were released as freeware and the mapper in the rom that is linked to as "the original freeware version" is MBC1. Maybe the developers converted it themselves, or it wasn't using the Rocket mapper to begin with.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2016, 04:48 PM »

Can someone do that for the Huc3 and Wisdom Tree games and convert them to standard mappers?

does anyone know if working versions of the other Rocket Games exist and where to get them? i downloaded space invasion freeware from the link provided by nuu but space invasion was the only game on that page with a download link.

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 11:51 PM »

does anyone know if working versions of the other Rocket Games exist and where to get them? i downloaded space invasion freeware from the link provided by nuu but space invasion was the only game on that page with a download link.

I have found that you can get all the Rocket Games non-multicart games to work on the EverDrive GB with a few modifications to the header.  Multi-cart games offer nothing of importance over single cartridge ROMs.  These are the no-intro names of the games that will work with this method :

ATV Racing (Europe) (Unl).gbc
Full Time Soccer (Europe) (Unl).gbc
Hang Time Basketball (Europe) (Unl).gbc
Karate Joe (Europe) (Unl).gbc
Painter (Europe) (Unl).gbc
Pocket Smash Out (Europe) (Unl).gbc
Race Time (Europe) (Unl).gbc
Space Invasion (Europe) (Unl).gbc

Use the program called Game Boy ROM Analyzer / Header Editor / Checksum Fixer.  Open a ROM, change the Cartridge Type 01h ROM+MBC1, the ROM Size to the file size of the ROM and the RAM Size to 00h - None.  Then click on Write ROM in the Edit Menu, followed by Fix Header Checksum and finally Restore Nintendo Logo. 

After that you will be able to enjoy these games.  However, one difference from the original cartridges will remain.  Original cartridges will display "ROCKET" but these fixed ROMs will display "Nintendo" with the lower right part of the o missing.  This is necessary for the GBC BIOS to boot games, the original hardware had some special circuitry to bypass the logo check.
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/