Author Topic: Mega Everdrive pro Sega CD After Burner III & Blackhole Assault  (Read 591 times)

Offline Player1

• View Profile
The Sega CD games After Burner III (USA) and Blackhole Assault (USA) seem to have glitches or crash after firmware 4.08.

After Burner III has trouble playing the opening video, sometimes it has graphical glitches and eventually freezes other times the screen goes black or white while sound keeps playing until freezing. The game seems to play fine if you skip the video.

On Blackhole Assault the opening video plays fine but the game has lots of graphical glitches mostly solid colour shapes appearing on the screen.

I was sure these games used to work so after trying another SD card I tried older firmwares until they started working again on 4.08 (need to use the repair tool to go back to 4.08 or lower).
Both games are from the redump set and I'm using a Samsung Evo Pro 128GB.

Can anybody confirm the same issue?

Offline LeoLion

• View Profile
Hi,

I'm using an EverDrive Pro with firmware 4.11 with my Analogue Mega SG and both games work fine (USA versions).  I played both games for approx 10 mins each without the problems you have mentioned.   I'm using a recent redump Sega CD set and my micro SD card is a SanDisk Ultra 128GB.

Have you tried a different micro SD card or redump set?  Other than that I don't know what might be causing your problem.

All the best

Offline Player1

• View Profile
Hi,

I'm using an EverDrive Pro with firmware 4.11 with my Analogue Mega SG and both games work fine (USA versions).  I played both games for approx 10 mins each without the problems you have mentioned.   I'm using a recent redump Sega CD set and my micro SD card is a SanDisk Ultra 128GB.

Have you tried a different micro SD card or redump set?  Other than that I don't know what might be causing your problem.

All the best
Hi,

Thanks for checking this out.
Yes I've tried a Toshiba SD card and I tried another version of After Burner III and it was exactly the same. I'll try to find different versions of both games, It seems strange that they work on version 4.08 though.
I do have a SanDisk Ultra 128GB but it's being used in something so would be a pain to try, but I'll try it as a last resort. Do you know if your SD card is set up as Fat32 or Exfat and what the cluster size is? Mine is Fat32 but I'm not sure what the cluster size is.

Thanks again.

Offline LeoLion

• View Profile
Hi,

I haven't got a clue about the cluster size, but it is exFAT which is the factory format, I haven't messed with it.

The last thing to try is a different Sega/Mega CD bios file, but that shouldn't make a difference.  Also, are you using original hardware or a Mega SG? If it's original hardware, is it a model 1 or model 2? Maybe that's the problem, but I'm really not sure.

The only problem I've had with a Mega CD game is Double Switch, as the sound was very glitchy. I then forced it to 3 button mode on my Mega SG and it then worked fine.

I hope you get it sorted as it's annoying when things don't work 100% as they should.

Good luck.

Offline Player1

• View Profile
So I've tried an SanDisk Ultra 128GB formatted to exfat, different versions of the games including European and Japanese for After Burner III and I've tried different bios files, all with same results. I've also tried cleaning the cartridge connector in the console.

I have a recapped PAL Mega Drive 1 that has had the crystal changed to an NTSC correct 53.693175MHz Oscillator and a 50/60hz switch installed, it is powered by a Triad WSX090-2500-R 2.5A PSU. Running at 60hz this should be the same as a US Genesis 1.

I'm interested if Krikzz has any thoughts because downgrading to 4.08 the games work again and everything else I've tried works perfectly.
I've had a Mega Everdrive pro since it came out and the only problem I've had were some stuttering with my original SD Card, but it's been fine since I changed to a Samsung Evo Pro 128GB.

Can anyone with a Mega Drive or Genesis 1 try running ether of these games on the latest firmware?
The easiest way to check is just let After Burner III run it has trouble with the intro video, if you skip the video the game seems to play fine.

Offline Retro-Nerd

• View Profile
Just tried Afterburner III (US/Redump Rip) on my 50/60Hz PAL modded Mega Drive 1. No problems with the Intro, runs fine without any glitches. SD Card is a 64GB Samsung Evo Select, default Sega PSU, Mega OS v4.11.

Offline Player1

• View Profile
Just tried Afterburner III (US/Redump Rip) on my 50/60Hz PAL modded Mega Drive 1. No problems with the Intro, runs fine without any glitches. SD Card is a 64GB Samsung Evo Select, default Sega PSU, Mega OS v4.11.

Thanks for trying this out!
I'm not really sure what this could be then. I'll keep trying things and if I get it working I'll post back here.
Thanks again.