Author Topic: Assistance in setting up Super Gameboy  (Read 1298 times)

Offline chunkysteveo

• View Profile
Assistance in setting up Super Gameboy
« on: December 31, 2020, 05:21 PM »
Hiya all,

I hope someone can help push me in the right direction. I wouldn't consider myself a noob or beginner in emulation etc, but i'm struggling to get the BETA Super Gameboy2 features working on my new FXPak Pro.

The FXPak Pro works great for standard SNES games, great stuff! Have now tried multiple firmware files for getting the unofficial SGB feature set working. Currently working with the latest Furious version, sd2snes_v1.10.3-frs-v12. I thought that the included sgb1_boot.bin and sgb1_snes.bin and their sgb2 versions were the ones to use, but just in case I tracked down and replaced ones from the internet - checking their m5 hash values to match.

I can go through the configuration check and see sgb1_snes.bin and sgb1_boot.bin match OK, and the other check values are done. I can get to and fiddle with the new SGB menu and set BIOS version, clock speed etc.

But after all this - with some of my GB roms on the SD card, there's nothing booting up - just a black screen. SNES games still boot fine. And I was also able to upload the SNES SGB2 Japan rom to load which gives me a gameboy frame.

Have also tried with another card with the same files and the same black screen occurs - no gameboy games loading. Watching the LEDS on the pak, unlike the SNES games that tend to flicker on boot up and load, as soon as I press a GB game, there's no LED lights to show anything is being read/written.

I'm at a total loss now, spent several hours trying configs and setups and finding roms and boot files, but it always results in a black screen.

I am a UK user, with an original PAL SNES, running an RGB Scart to new HD (LG) TV. I did read on here some issues with flickering due to the capacitors being old. I am wondering if the SGB features is just too much for me old SNES, or should I at least be getting something?

Any help in any steps I may have missed, or what could be causing the black screen - would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Steve

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
Re: Assistance in setting up Super Gameboy
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 10:43 PM »
Did you try an alternate SD card, freshly formatted with just the FURiOUS firmware on it and some ROMs? Sometimes overwriting your old firmware or keeping the same config file when updating can cause problems.

Offline chunkysteveo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 11:46 PM »
Hmm... I tried a new SD card, but copied all files over from the old one, not tried a 'new' install with the firmware from Furious. Will give that a good go, and report back. thanks.

Offline chunkysteveo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 08:46 PM »
Tried the above, no luck sadly - still black screen, no activity.

Fresh card, added official 10.3 firmware and then copied over frs-v12 firmware files. Sgb boot and game file check passes, can tweak menu for SGB, but loading any gb game still gives black screen, no activity.

Could it be my TV or scart connection? Seems odd...?!

Steve

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 10:00 PM »
You don't need the official firmware as a base. You can just copy everything  in the FURiOUS' firmware link below directly to a freshly formatted card. Turn off all the in-game hooks and buttons in the configuration menus and try other SD cards if you have any to spare.

https://github.com/furious/sd2snes/releases/download/savestate_v12/sd2snes_v1.10.3-frs-v12.zip

But it does sound like something else is the problem here.

Offline chunkysteveo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 12:44 PM »
Hey all - just to put closure on this, and thanks for you help Relikk.

Turns out as I suspected - it was a noob error/fault on my part.... tried another TV, another cable (Composite and RGB) and then tried another card. On trying another (non-Sandisk) card I uploaded a different rom file to test, but the rom had a lowercase ".gb", and all my roms that I have had were all saved with an uppercase ".GB".

I did read the readme of the original SGB firmware where it advised it could read roms with the extension of ".gb", and I recall at the time thinking, I wonder if it's case sensitive.... nahh - doubt it.

Well, turns out me test rom I had with a lowercase .gb booted up no issue!! Copied a bunch of other roms I have to the SD card, "renamed" them with a lowercase ".gb" and hey-presto  - they all booted up! I feel like a right muppet!!

I'm now learning about the "rom pack lists" and how to manage my roms to make them in a decent structure and all compatible with the lowercase .gb extension, and it's going great - was able to upload a bunch of roms to the card and have played them all without issue.

Thanks to those who came to my help with some ideas - always remember to cover the basics! haha!

Steveo

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 04:47 PM »
Wow, how odd. The case usually doesn't matter, but there you have it. Nice find and glad you could sort it out.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 08:05 PM »
Hey all - just to put closure on this, and thanks for you help Relikk.

Turns out as I suspected - it was a noob error/fault on my part.... tried another TV, another cable (Composite and RGB) and then tried another card. On trying another (non-Sandisk) card I uploaded a different rom file to test, but the rom had a lowercase ".gb", and all my roms that I have had were all saved with an uppercase ".GB".

I did read the readme of the original SGB firmware where it advised it could read roms with the extension of ".gb", and I recall at the time thinking, I wonder if it's case sensitive.... nahh - doubt it.

Well, turns out me test rom I had with a lowercase .gb booted up no issue!! Copied a bunch of other roms I have to the SD card, "renamed" them with a lowercase ".gb" and hey-presto  - they all booted up! I feel like a right muppet!!

I'm now learning about the "rom pack lists" and how to manage my roms to make them in a decent structure and all compatible with the lowercase .gb extension, and it's going great - was able to upload a bunch of roms to the card and have played them all without issue.

Thanks to those who came to my help with some ideas - always remember to cover the basics! haha!

Steveo

Reading that reminds me of the good ol days when I noticed a lot of GB roms were actually GBC and had to rename them and vice versa be it public domain games or demos or just intros and endings (Think they were what you would call a rom that had a trainer like text program and nothing much else) ah good times when I finalized the EDGB final version back then ^^
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!