Author Topic: SG-1000 on Genesis possible?  (Read 6890 times)

Offline jeff20

• View Profile
SG-1000 on Genesis possible?
« on: February 25, 2017, 10:33 AM »
I want to know the exact conditions to play SG-1000 games.  Can I use a the Master Everdrive + PowerBase Mini FM + Genesis to play SG1000?  Or is the Master ED entirely incapable of playing SG-1000 games on anything other than a real Master System?

Offline GreatFunky

• View Profile
Re: SG-1000 on Genesis possible?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 06:00 PM »
not possible on genesis :

"In order to achieve backwards compatibility, the original Master System central processor and sound chip (the Z80 and SN76489) are included in the Mega Drive/Genesis and the new Video Display Processor is capable of the Master System VDP's mode 4 (though it cannot run in modes 0, 1, 2, or 3, so cannot run SG-1000 games). Once a Master System game is inserted, the system's bus controller chip (later integrated with the I/O chip into a single multi-purpose ASIC) will put the Z80 in control leaving the 68000 idle. "

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 09:46 PM »
I want to know the exact conditions to play SG-1000 games.  Can I use a the Master Everdrive + PowerBase Mini FM + Genesis to play SG1000?  Or is the Master ED entirely incapable of playing SG-1000 games on anything other than a real Master System?

It's NOT the MasterED being incapable, it's the Genesis/MD that does not support the video modes of the SG1000.
Funny thing is you can hear the music/sound when present for SG1000 .... but you can't see anything.
If you decide to buy an SMS to play SG1000 with MasterED keep in mind the palette of colors is different and some games do suffer, example is Galaga where the projectiles are dark blue on black background, very easy to miss, other games suffer less for more info check http://www.smspower.org/Development/Palette#SG1000SC3000 .

On the bright side there's a couple of SMS games that works when loaded on a Genny via MasterED but don't work on a MegaED v1 (not sure about x3/x5/x7), but the reverse is also is true there are a couple of games that work via MegaED but not so much via MasterED ... oh well you can't win all the time.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 09:48 PM by phoenixdownita »

Offline Thiago

• Jesus saves you, Ferris Bueller!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 09:44 PM »
The Power Base Min FM in my Asian Mega Drive sometimes make a buzz in some games: "Out Run", "California Games" etc?

It makes a buzz when I turn on my Mega Drive!

Why?!

Offline fabio_rosendo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 08:53 AM »
Is only possible, if someone someday hack every SG1000 Rom to use another video mode compatible with Genesis.
Finding and changing the Video Mode instruction, inside all games.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 03:33 AM »
The Power Base Min FM in my Asian Mega Drive sometimes make a buzz in some games: "Out Run", "California Games" etc?

It makes a buzz when I turn on my Mega Drive!

Why?!
Try another power supply and TV set.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL