Author Topic: What about an everdrive for GameCube?  (Read 61163 times)

Offline reprep

• View Profile
Re: What about an everdrive for GameCube?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 08:51 AM »
i do all my gamecube gaming from my wii. no problem so far.
you loading gc via usb? i use usb for wii and burnt dvd for gc :)

yup i do both my wii and gc gaming from external harddrive. all you need is a first partition formatted with FAT32.
i cant get gc games working from usb :(

there are a lot of guides on net. first try to use a flash drive as some harddisks won't work with DM regardless of whatever you do. after you succeed with a flash drive, you can go formatting your hdd.

PM me if you are stuck in some step and i can help you out.
PM me if you want to sell your Everdrive MD.

Offline RetroRepair

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 11:35 AM »
There are a lot of guides but a lot are massively outdated. dios mios worked once for metroid prime but then none of the controls worked. I've since tried numerous things but now no GC games boot. I just get to the dios mios screen and then it crashes the whole wii.

This is probably not the forum for this discussion I guess though.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 03:29 PM »
the thing im stuck on is my cfg usb loader only displays devolution settings, it should list DM/DML aswell right? even tho iv installed DM2.8  :o this topic has gone wildley off topic lol
anyway think il uninstall it and stick to dvdr loading as its flawless :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 03:59 PM by dvd2vcd »
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline reprep

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 04:21 PM »
i use usb loader gx. use the latest version and choose show gc games from the settings. also choose the correct path for gc games. menu is mostly self-explanatory.

i avoid burnt media as much as i can so usb loading for gc games is a god send for me.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 04:37 PM »
last time i checked no usb loaders supported GC games. i will have to try the new usb loader gx. how is compatibility?

Offline reprep

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 04:52 PM »
compatibility is great. all games i tried worked fine. though audio-streaming doesn't work. 2-disc switching problem has been solved recently.

Offline DarkLink

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 07:18 PM »
USB Loader GX can not load games from External or USB Stick... at all :) As it only works with DML...

All it does is Copy the game to SD then boot from that.... which works okay... Most of the games I tried worked fine with it.. some did not... Even tho they were in the compatibility list as working...

There was also another booting application, however I can not remember the name of it at the moment but it worked way better than USB Loader GX for booting GC games from USB Stick or External.. Just depends on what version of Dios Mios you are using.. Lite or Regular... Lite for SD, Regular for USB.

Offline reprep

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 10:11 PM »
USB Loader GX's last versions can boot from usb and work totally fine with DM.

USB Loader GX can not load games from External or USB Stick... at all :) As it only works with DML...

All it does is Copy the game to SD then boot from that.... which works okay... Most of the games I tried worked fine with it.. some did not... Even tho they were in the compatibility list as working...

There was also another booting application, however I can not remember the name of it at the moment but it worked way better than USB Loader GX for booting GC games from USB Stick or External.. Just depends on what version of Dios Mios you are using.. Lite or Regular... Lite for SD, Regular for USB.

Offline DarkLink

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 01:12 AM »
Really? What version are you running then?

I've tried it with 3.0, did not know there was a newer version... Also can not find a newer one..

Offline reprep

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 11:29 AM »
try beta versions. have a look at the main usb loader gx thread at gbatemp.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 03:03 PM »
I don't have a Wii, just a Gamecube (which is brilliant), so if I wanted to get a Wii to play Gamecube disc images from hard drive or SD Card, what sort of Wii should I get? I don't know anything about the Wii, so please be specific. Also, how do you soft-mod a Wii so that it will load Gamecube games from hard drive or SD Card, please? And I take it this includes all Gamecube games, and also Wii games? And can I use my Gamecube controllers on the Wii?

Thanks for any help.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 03:20 PM »
Also, is a soft modded Wii region free, or would I, a PAL user, be limited to PAL games?

Offline reprep

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 03:45 PM »
the wii you should buy should have gamecube memory card and controller ports. New wiis don't have these.

it is very hard to find a new wii with gamecube compatibility so you can try to buy a used one.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-BoAHAt6GMn0DOIfxRYg7pu5j02nAE43dijqa58zWxipPaNbACw

send this photo to seller and ask if the wii has these ports. that is what i did before buying my wii.

if you softmod your wii, your wii (and the gamecube backwards compatibility) will be region free. i can play my original ntsc-u soul calibur ii in my pal wii.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 03:33 PM »
reprep, thanks for the reply, I'll do as you suggest.

Offline Doom

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 12:46 AM »
Look up "SD Media Launcher" for the Gamecube (if you're still looking to backup your games), it should be the first link in google.

Just ordered it, so far so great. It's very easy to use and it can also run emulators for other Nintendo consoles such as GBA and N64.

It doesn't require a modded GC at all either. You simply insert a memory card that has an SD slot on it along with it's disc, and choose your game. I'd say the best thing about this is that it's only $20!