Author Topic: How do you play .FDS games on N8? (Regular non-Pro ver./Latest OS)  (Read 1054 times)

Offline ifightdragons

• View Profile
I have an NTSC NES 2 system and a regular N8 I bought in 2019, updated with the latest firmware.

Been trying to play FDS games, but I just keep getting Disk Error on all the games.

Does anyone have a clue how to get this thing to play FDS games?
You don't actually need the Famicom Disk unit in order to play FDS games via EverDrive?

Apologies for sounding stupid, but it's really hard to find any tutorials on FDS functionality in EverDrive.
I've looked pretty much everywhere.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 01:36 PM by ifightdragons »

Offline ifightdragons

• View Profile
Just got this reply from Prock78:

I used to play some of the FDS games some time ago on my N8, with OS-v1.16 and it was very easy as far as I can remember:
- copying FDS games (with *.fds file extension) on the SD card
- launching them on the N8 like any other *.nes games... that's all!
This is broken since OS-v1.20  :-[

So it seems that a few things have gone wrong with the latest OS v1.20 update.

1: FDS no longer works?
2: Random game crashes.

Hopefully this can be sorted out.

Offline MHzBurglar

• View Profile
FDS games still work the way you described in 1.20-onward (just load 'em like NES games.)

I also get the random game crashes on v1.23; it seems to just be an issue on NTSC NES systems as PAL NES users don't seem to have the same problem.  Perhaps it can't handle the glory of 60Hz ;)

I'd recommend using OS v1.16 in general, and only use v1.23 for anything with expansion audio (like FDS games or the Japanese Castlevania 3), as the expansion audio is horrible in pre-1.20 firmware.

I remember getting a similar 'disk error' with FDS games ages ago on an older firmware version, and I found that using a freshly-formatted SD card with a fresh copy of the latest firmware (not just overwriting an old version) solved the issue.

I'd recommend you do the following:

• Format your SD card as FAT 32, with 32KB allocation unit/cluster size
  • Copy the v1.23 firmware zip's "EDFC" folder to your SD card
  • Copy some FDS games to your SD card and test.  You don't need a separate FDS bios.

If that works, I'd also recommend grabbing firmware v1.16 and copying the contents of the "MAPS" folder over to your SD card's EDFC\MAPS folder without overwriting any existing files.  I found that firmware v1.23 was missing some mappers included with previous firmware, so you will want to grab the missing ones, but not replace the 1.23 version of the mappers that are already there.

Edit:  The older EDN8 uses "EDFC" as its system folder name, not "EDN8"
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 07:25 PM by MHzBurglar »