Author Topic: N8 Pro (Famicom vs NES format) any differences?  (Read 2877 times)

Offline teknomedic

• View Profile
N8 Pro (Famicom vs NES format) any differences?
« on: June 02, 2020, 06:23 PM »
Is there any advantage or disadvantage of using one cartridge format over the other on an Analogue NT Mini?

Are there any physical differences of the PCB that would limit anything?  I assume the only difference is the physical size of the carts?

If I get the NES version, does that also support "Expansion Audio" IF my hardware (NT Mini) also supports that on the NES slot?

Does anyone know if an N8 Pro is better than a jailbroken NT Mini for ROMs?

Thank you.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: N8 Pro (Famicom vs NES format) any differences?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 05:11 PM »
The Famicom uses two pins for expansion sound while the NES uses only one pin, which no games used and would have required a device in the expansion port. I think mixing of the expansion sound is a bit different because of that, so go with Famicom if you want to be safe, since it has the interface that actually was used. I don't know if this matters on the Analogue though.

The NES version of Everdrive you mean? Yes it should also support expansion sound, but see what I said above.

N8 Pro and the Analogue probably have similar compatibility. The main point with the N8 is that you can use it on real hardware.

Offline teknomedic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 04:13 PM »
Thank you, I'll go with the Famicom version then since it sounds like there's actually a PCB pinout difference that may matter beyond security lockouts.  :)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 05:00 PM »
That's my understanding. All games that used expansion sound were Famicom games, so you can't go wrong with the 60-pin version.

Offline Juanmiglesias

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 07:23 PM »
The Famicom uses two pins for expansion sound while the NES uses only one pin, which no games used and would have required a device in the expansion port. I think mixing of the expansion sound is a bit different because of that, so go with Famicom if you want to be safe, since it has the interface that actually was used. I don't know if this matters on the Analogue though.

The NES version of Everdrive you mean? Yes it should also support expansion sound, but see what I said above.

N8 Pro and the Analogue probably have similar compatibility. The main point with the N8 is that you can use it on real hardware.

Quick question, if you mod the NES to have the expansion audio, it would work exactly as the n8 pro Famicom on a Famicom console correct?

Offline MHzBurglar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 07:49 PM »
Quick question, if you mod the NES to have the expansion audio, it would work exactly as the n8 pro Famicom on a Famicom console correct?

That's correct.  If you mod your NES, you can get the same expansion audio sound with a frontloader NES and an NES version of the Everdrive N8 Pro as you would from a Famicom with the Famicom version of the N8 Pro.  The N8 Pro even has a volume level preset for it called "NES 47K Mod".

I've encountered two different versions of the mod: one is from FirebrandX that's meant for systems with the NESRGB kit where you place 1,000 Ohm resistor between pins 2 and 9 of the expansion port, and tack a 47,000 Ohm resistor onto pin 9 and wire it to the mixing port of the NESRGB board.  The other is from Retrofixes, where you just place a resistor (preferably 47,000 Ohms) between pins 3 and 9 of the expansion port.  I've only ever done the FirebrandX mod, as I have a NESRGB in my system, but I assume the pin 3+9 mod mixes directly into the default NES audio output.

You can read about the mods here:

FirebrandX's NESRGB-specific mod:  http://www.firebrandx.com/edn8tonesrgb.html

Retro-Fixes' stock NES mod:  http://www.retrofixes.com/2014/05/open-hidden-sound-channels-in-nes.html

Offline emuman100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 08:59 AM »
Is there any advantage or disadvantage of using one cartridge format over the other on an Analogue NT Mini?

Why do you use an Everdrive on an NT Mini? That is so silly. Why don't you just jailbreak it and load roms from the SD card? You get better compatibility anyway.

Offline JP32

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 03:56 PM »

I've encountered two different versions of the mod: one is from FirebrandX that's meant for systems with the NESRGB kit where you place 1,000 Ohm resistor between pins 2 and 9 of the expansion port, and tack a 47,000 Ohm resistor onto pin 9 and wire it to the mixing port of the NESRGB board.  The other is from Retrofixes, where you just place a resistor (preferably 47,000 Ohms) between pins 3 and 9 of the expansion port.  I've only ever done the FirebrandX mod, as I have a NESRGB in my system, but I assume the pin 3+9 mod mixes directly into the default NES audio output.

I have done the directly just putting resistor between the pins and it works perfectly(and it does mix directly to default audio output), I haven't noticed any issues and the audio levels are fine to my ears.

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 08:28 PM »

Why do you use an Everdrive on an NT Mini? That is so silly. Why don't you just jailbreak it and load roms from the SD card? You get better compatibility anyway.

Save state support would be a good reason.

Offline emuman100

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 09:07 PM »
Save state support would be a good reason.

The only reason?