Author Topic: Question about power draw of the SD2SNES  (Read 3433 times)

Offline Chelney

• View Profile
Question about power draw of the SD2SNES
« on: November 23, 2017, 01:52 AM »
Hey!  I picked up a snes and a SD2SNES about a year ago now.  I haven't used it very much recently but now when I go to power it on there is a massive voltage drop on my Power Supply and it can't provide enough to run the everdrive.  I tries desperately to load the menu up but is constantly flickering.  If I put in other SNES carts I have no issues.  (Sadly the PS that was sold to me was a third party at 9V)  I guess I am wondering.  Since this PS was working for me up until recently should I be concerned my SD2SNES is damaged?  Or is there something I can do myself to look into why its drawing so much current?  I am hoping its a Power Supply issue and that if I can find a proper 10V supply my issues will be solved.  When I turn on the console with the SD2SNES in the voltage drops to 7V which can't be enough to run the SNES.

Just curious if anyone else has any tips while I wait for my nes Power Supply to arrive. 

As a note:  The console and cart worked fine for the first 6 months.  I just didn't use it for about 3 and tried again and am now having this issue.

Thanks!

Chelney
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 01:57 AM by Chelney »

Offline Great_Lakes_Gumpla

• View Profile
Re: Question about power draw of the SD2SNES
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 04:59 AM »
Third party power supplies are 9v but the stock power supply is 10v.  99% of the time the one less volt is not an issue, but the sd2snes has just enough draw to cause a problem on an already under-powered system.

Offline ozzy2k

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 01:54 PM »
Did you replace all caps in your snes?
How much Amps has the power supply?
Have you tested another power supply?
Is this a US or PAL console?

Internally the snes voltage regulator steps down the 10/9V to 5V.
It can run with 7V but more important is the current from the power supply.

Offline Chelney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 03:26 AM »
Ya the caps is a good idea if a new supply doesnt work.  Still waiting for it to arrive.  Good to know that there isnt a lot of difference between 9 and 10 though.  Current draw I'm not certain of since I didnt take the AC adaptor apart.  It's a SNS-001 model snes.  Hopefully Ill get to mess around with it a bit more this weekend.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 06:03 AM »
The important metric for power supplies is power which is voltage times current. Identifying voltage only tells you half the picture, your power supply must also deliver the necessary amps (current).
Between 9 and 10 volts there isn't much difference so it doesn't matter much.
Some third party power supplies are made poorly (e.g. cheap and low capacity capacitors), in consequence they deliver less current, the closed circuit voltage is less (the voltage measured when the console is plugged in and working) and as a result they deliver less power.
These problems are exacerbated when you use a power hungry device (compared to regular cartridges) like the SD2SNES.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL