Author Topic: Near-complete N64 prototype of Cubivore discovered  (Read 1769 times)

Offline fabio_rosendo

• View Profile
Re: Near-complete N64 prototype of Cubivore discovered
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2021, 06:05 PM »
Thanks  Kerr Avon.  :D
But in the end....... the file generated has the same CRC32 = D95DE5FC.
So....... using the other Xdelta versions, even with the Error Messages, the final file is the correct one.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2021, 01:34 AM »
Thanks  Kerr Avon.  :D
But in the end....... the file generated has the same CRC32 = D95DE5FC.
So....... using the other Xdelta versions, even with the Error Messages, the final file is the correct one.

That is strange. But if it has the same CRC, then your original file is presumably identical, of course, and so fully working. Maybe there was some alteration in .xdelta file format or encoding that occurred before or with the final release of the patcher (version 3.0.11), meaning that .xdelta patches made with the final version would work with some earlier versions of the patcher but throw up errors, and wouldn't work at all with other earlier versions of the patcher.

I even tried the patch with v4.1 of the Goldeneye editor (my PC won't run later versions) and it didn't work there. And given the quality of the GE editor (it's really good), I would have expected it's .xdelta patching to be concise and accurate. Unless there really was a significant revision of the .xdelta process, that occurred after v4.1 of the GE editor was released, but before or with the release of version 3.0.11 of the .xdelta patcher.

Offline family_brick

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2021, 02:12 AM »
My final patched ROM (made with an old Delta Lite patcher which also threw up a bypassable error) has a different CRC HI, but also seems to work like a charm (save_db.txt entry is 0x3298A422=50).

Like most I'd imagine, I'm not in the habit of turning a blind eye to an apparently incorrectly patched ROM but that command line build of xdelta doesn't seem to play nice with my machine, for some reason.

What a curious state of affairs...and what a lovely game.