Author Topic: Doraemon 3: Nobita No Machi SOS doesn’t start  (Read 893 times)

Offline dustinq

• View Profile
Doraemon 3: Nobita No Machi SOS doesn’t start
« on: May 21, 2021, 12:29 PM »
Is Doraemon 3: Nobita No Machi SOS incompatible for the X5? Whenever I try starting the game it just goes to a black screen without anything starting. Is there anyone out there who got this game to work? Or is there someone who can test this game on their Everdrive 64?

Offline IRL Random Hajile

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Doraemon 3: Nobita No Machi SOS doesn’t start
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 01:16 PM »
Can confirm that this game doesn't start on my EverDrive 64 V3. Not an X5 incompatibility.
Checking the ROM Info, it states that the savetype is "SRAM", though I'm not sure if the savetype is actually correct or not... Also using a verified No-Intro ROM, so it should be a good dump of the game.

EDIT: Figured out what the problem was!!! Turns out the savetype for this game actually was incorrect. The save method that works for this game is EEPROM16k.
Adding this entry to save_db.txt loads the game up just fine now.

3D=2   (Doraemon 3: Nobita no Machi SOS!)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 01:37 PM by IRL Random Hajile »
"BH75001, Random Hajile... that's
R-A-N-D-O-M H-A-J-I-L-E."

Offline dustinq

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 06:45 PM »
Can confirm that this game doesn't start on my EverDrive 64 V3. Not an X5 incompatibility.
Checking the ROM Info, it states that the savetype is "SRAM", though I'm not sure if the savetype is actually correct or not... Also using a verified No-Intro ROM, so it should be a good dump of the game.

EDIT: Figured out what the problem was!!! Turns out the savetype for this game actually was incorrect. The save method that works for this game is EEPROM16k.

Great! Thanks a lot, yea I’ve kept trying the different SRAM types, turns out it’s EEPROM16k. Very interesting.

EDIT: Changing the save method to EEPROM16k didn’t work for me, the game still doesn’t load unfortunately. I’m also using a no-intro rom.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 07:23 PM by dustinq »

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 07:56 PM »

Great! Thanks a lot, yea I’ve kept trying the different SRAM types, turns out it’s EEPROM16k. Very interesting.

EDIT: Changing the save method to EEPROM16k didn’t work for me, the game still doesn’t load unfortunately. I’m also using a no-intro rom.
That's strange... Forcing the save method via save_db.txt worked out fine for me.

Offline dustinq

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 08:08 PM »

That's strange... Forcing the save method via save_db.txt worked out fine for me.
Yea, it's really weird... Could it be due to the difference of V3 and X5? Hopefully someone else tests this.

Offline dustinq

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 11:19 PM »
I'm not sure why this is the case, but replacing my whole save_db.txt file with the one given in http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6126.0 seems to have fixed my issue. I've only added the Dinosaur Planet line prior to replacing the whole text file, but it's working now.

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 06:11 AM »
I'm not sure why this is the case, but replacing my whole save_db.txt file with the one given in http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6126.0 seems to have fixed my issue. I've only added the Dinosaur Planet line prior to replacing the whole text file, but it's working now.
Ah! Good to hear that it's working out for ya now! Just remember that when copying the whole save_db.txt list of entries from Kerr Avon's thread, Dinosaur Planet ROM ID and DK64 Kiosk Demo CRC HI value (if they're both detected in the save_db.txt file) creates conflict with each other, causing unintentional savetype alterations. (Learned about this the hard way)

Offline dustinq

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 01:28 PM »
Ah! Good to hear that it's working out for ya now! Just remember that when copying the whole save_db.txt list of entries from Kerr Avon's thread, Dinosaur Planet ROM ID and DK64 Kiosk Demo CRC HI value (if they're both detected in the save_db.txt file) creates conflict with each other, causing unintentional savetype alterations. (Learned about this the hard way)
Good to know! Thank you very much!

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 03:28 PM »

No, I changed the list as you suggested (in your post http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=10970.15) so it should all be OK now.

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2021, 03:29 AM »

No, I changed the list as you suggested (in your post http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=10970.15) so it should all be OK now.
I still see the two entries in the list on my end:
DP=50       (Dinosaur Planet Prototype and hacks/fixes)
0x0DD4ABAB=2    (Donkey Kong 64 (U) (Demo) (Kiosk))

Maybe the save_db.txt thread hasn't updated properly yet for me, but yeah, having these two entries will cause problems. I do recall making a suggestion of adding the Kiosk Demo's CRC HI value in the past, though that was before I found out the firmware doesn't like entries being mentioned in this manner, where both ROMs have identical ROM IDs.

Also would be a good idea to remove this entry:
0x16082F95=3    (Mario Artist Talent Studio - T+Eng - N64DD)

Since this ROM ID entry here:
DD=31       (All 64DD games SRAM+RTC)

...already takes care of Mario Artist Talent Studio, so the inclusion of the CRC HI is redundant.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2021, 11:40 PM »

What should I change, then, please?

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2021, 03:57 AM »

What should I change, then, please?
Thinking about it, I feel the best way to go about it would be to add an Important Note somewhere in the top post in your thread, mentioning that those two entries in particular can cause issues if they're both detected together in the save_db.txt file. Keep those two entries there in the thread just to let people know of their correct savetypes.
Mention this thread for further details of this strange bug:
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=11062.0
This bug can occur on both Official v2.xx firmware, and also the X7 firmware (at the time of writing this down anyway :P )
Recommend the user in the Important Note to include one entry or the other while copying & pasting the list into their own save_db.txt file, not include both.
It would be a good idea to mention that when using JonesAlmighty's latest Unofficial-Official OS, then it's highly recommended that both of those entries are removed in one's own save_db.txt file, as his latest OS already addresses both of those games.
But yeah, as for the entry to delete, definitely get rid of the Mario Artist Talent Studio CRC HI. The "DD" ROM ID entry already takes care of that game, both translated and untranslated.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 04:26 AM by IRL Random Hajile »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2021, 12:07 PM »
Since I think many people will just copy the list without reading, I think it might be best if you left out one or both of them and explain that only one can be used. If you use the code tag (like this: [ code ] list here [ /code ] but without the spaces in the square brackets) it's easy to see what should be copied and what is part of your explanation. There will also be a "select" button people can click to immediately highlight the whole valid list and then just copy it.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 08:21 PM »
Sorry, I didn't see these replies. I've made the appropriate changes, thanks.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2021, 08:01 PM »
Nice! Now it's so much more clear and readable.