Author Topic: Individual N8 Mapper Updates (unofficial)...  (Read 50059 times)

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
Re: Individual N8 Mapper Updates (unofficial)...
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2017, 06:45 PM »
Krikzz, do you have any plans to officially incorporate some or all of these mappers through a future OS update?

Thanks.

Has this ever been answered? I just purchased a new N8 and was wondering if I should implement these mappers or not?

If you have the skill I'd say go for it. If you wait for Krikzz you might find yourself waiting for several years as he usually takes many different projects at the same time, and rarely perfects one before moving to the next. If he did we wouldn't have as many everdrives as we do now, but I wish he had a partner developer who'd work on these OSes in parallel.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO

On my wishlist:
Everdrive GBA - EDGB X3 - Saturn Satisfier

Offline Boojakascha

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2017, 12:00 AM »
There is this Famiclone Game "Strike Wolf" I really love. Sadly I can just play the first level on my Everdrive as the game sets back to level 1 upon completion of said level.

The problem was well known for the FCEUX emulator and is now fixed. In GitHub files are distributed:
https://github.com/TASVideos/BizHawk/blob/master/BizHawk.Emulation.Cores/Consoles/Nintendo/NES/Boards/Mapper036.cs
With some documentation here:
http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/INES_Mapper_036

Is there any hope a fix will come for the Everdrive someday?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 12:02 AM by Boojakascha »

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2017, 09:34 AM »
The new VRC7 mapper, should be added in the first post. Here is the link to the latest unofficial release http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3374.msg51018#msg51018. It works great.

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2017, 10:04 PM »
even the mapper 100% volume is still low compared to famicom internal sound effects on akumajou densetsu. LoL

i have to try it on an emulator to see if is the same or not

Offline borgie83

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2018, 01:24 PM »
Is anyone able to supply new links for downloads of the latest Sunsoft 5B, VRC6 and VRC7 mapper updates? The files have since been deleted from the servers. Same issue applies to the links in the other threads. If not, could someone send them to me please?

Offline borgie83

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2018, 05:42 AM »
Guys? Anyone able to help out?

Offline FeverDrive

• View Profile
And so I go fast.

Offline borgie83

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2018, 10:34 AM »
http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/WjGfqTMD/file.html

Thank you. That's the Sunsoft 5B mapper covered. Now just need the VRC6 and VRC7 mappers.

Offline borgie83

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2018, 06:57 PM »
Ok, I managed to find a zip file which contains the latest os for the everdrive n8 as well as the updated mappers for the Sunsoft 5B, VRC6 and VRC7. It has also had it's MAPROUT.BIN edited to fix conflictions with other mappers. I won't be able to fully test this until Monday as I'm working all weekend but I thought I'd share it now for anyone that wants to try it out.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2018, 08:48 PM »
Since "audio mix vol" option now always "Hi" what VRC6 RBF file will be the most correct for Akumajou Densetsu?
People say 100_75 but do they use the HI or LO setting from the old firmware?; I assume LO.
A file format as such 24Mod_75_70.RBF means 75 HI and 70 LO, so for current firmware locked on HI, I would choose 24Mod_75_70.RBF.

Also, people add a 24k-100k resistor to their NES to restore external audio functionality, and use the N8 with one of these RBF files, that is too many variables to be accurate.
What would be the correct RBF file for the AV Famicom which does not require any modification?
Can anyone please post a recording samples of the real Akumajou Densetsu cartridge in a real AV Famicom so I can fine tune for myself?

Since the fixed mappers becoming hard to find here are the latest (03.2018) VRC6, VRC7, 5B individually zipped:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/b64w2ro5rczr5od/Everdrive%20N8%20Mappers.zip
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 08:43 AM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2018, 07:54 AM »
I have been testing the VRC6 RBF files in Slamy's archive to find the correct balance for the AV Famicom and the Everdrive N8 Famicom version.
Note that the AV Famicom has quieter internal sound in comparison to the original Famicom therefor the 75_70 file is way louder than it should.

My findings:
24Mod_50_25.RBF is still slightly louder in comparison to the original Famicom and various emulators, but very close indeed.
24Mod_22_20.RBF is much too quiet.

I have PMed Slamy in hope he will receive an email and maybe create more presets in between 50 and 22.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 08:18 AM by James-F »

Offline Slamy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2018, 08:51 PM »
Hello you all. I've made an update in the VRC6 thread.I hope that this will do.
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3391.0

I'm fascinated that I'm the only one supplying multiple volumes. To be honest I haven't really analyzed the schematics of the different NES / Famicom version. I've just checked with Castlevania III on my own NES which has an Poti sticking out of the back for fine justage. This is why I prefer my 100% version because of better signal to noise ratio. But of course this seems to be incompatible with other Mappers.

Offline borgie83

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2018, 11:17 PM »
Ok, I managed to find a zip file which contains the latest os for the everdrive n8 as well as the updated mappers for the Sunsoft 5B, VRC6 and VRC7. It has also had it's MAPROUT.BIN edited to fix conflictions with other mappers. I won't be able to fully test this until Monday as I'm working all weekend but I thought I'd share it now for anyone that wants to try it out.

Hi Slamy. I haven't checked what the VRC6 mapper is set at within the mapper download I attached to this post above but I find the volume perfect with no distortion etc. Definetly loud enough imo. Using a 27inch Sony Trinitron with a US nes + Enio exp board fyi

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2018, 11:07 AM »
The problem with the US Nes is it is modified with a resistor which itself is an aproximation along with the EDN8 VRC6 volume aproximation.
To find the correct balance that sounds like the original Famicom and original cartridge is a guesswork without proper equipment and a sharp ear.

What's more, what is the reference recording for Famicom+Akumajou Densetsu?
Mine was various recordings of the Analog NT (on Youtube), Emulators, NesDev forum, and other Youtube videos.
All of the above were practical identical in terms of balance between Internal and VRC6.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 02:24 PM by James-F »

Offline Slamy

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2018, 12:45 AM »

Hi Slamy. I haven't checked what the VRC6 mapper is set at within the mapper download I attached to this post above but I find the volume perfect with no distortion etc. Definetly loud enough imo. Using a 27inch Sony Trinitron with a US nes + Enio exp board fyi

I have compared the binary. The file inside your package is 24Mod_100_75.RBF.