Author Topic: Sd2snes and SFC supercic  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Retrodome

• View Profile
Sd2snes and SFC supercic
« on: February 07, 2017, 03:07 PM »
Hi, I have a perfectly working pal sd2snes cart in my 1chip pal SNES. Great stuff!  However I just bought a SFC modded with SuperCic (so full screen etc) but when I put in the sd2snes all I get is a black screen!  A normal pal cart works fine in it.  I have tried switching etc but all I get is a black screen?  Any ideas?

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
Re: Sd2snes and SFC supercic
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 03:41 PM »
What kind of power supply are you using for your SFC? PAL AC adapter does not work.

Offline Retrodome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 04:40 PM »
Hi Ikari, thank you for your attention.  I have a pal PSU and have also tried a 3rd party PSU (will check the rating on that and post).  It is because the sd2snes draws more juice than a normal pal cart?  I did research further and found something similar in another thread here called 'sd2snes strange behaviour' saying that connecting pin 2 on supercic to pin 4 on U9 fixed?  My model is hvc 002 so not sure if that contains the motherboard version mentioned iin that thread.

Offline thomasbland685

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 05:22 PM »
The CIC has been removed on the SFC ( I installed the supercic )

Offline Retrodome

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 05:23 PM »
I did note the flashing led inside the sd2snes cart which indicates cic error I think?

Offline Retrodome

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 06:20 PM »
Having read further in 'Sd2snes acting weird' thread - Akari is prolly correct here....

"The Super Famicom does not work reliably on the PAL power supply adapter. SFC needs DC, PAL SNES needs AC. They are NOT compatible even though the plug fits. A PAL SNES might run fine on DC though.

Luckily the SFC doesn't break even though it gets wrong polarity half of the time because it has a built-in diode to protect against inverse polarity.

However of the sine wave coming from the AC (PAL) power supply, only half of each wave actually gets through to the voltage regulator, and most of the time the voltage is too low (except at the times where the wave gets above +7V).
For low current situations (like original games WITHOUT SuperFX/SA1/etc.) and small number of controllers this might barely work out because the large electrolytic capacitor in the SFC manages to store enough charge. You might notice discoloration in composite video output or an overall hum in audio/video. But as current draw increases the console will basically run on a 50Hz pulse, crashing inevitably."

Offline Makinx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 02:01 PM »
If you also have a Mega Drive, you could use that PSU for the SFC.

Alternatively, you could mod your pal SNES to output 60hz and achieve the same result. Would have been cheaper than buying an SFC anyway ;-).