Author Topic: Trouble with new ED64 x7  (Read 1697 times)

Offline mettabot

• View Profile
Trouble with new ED64 x7
« on: July 10, 2020, 08:51 AM »
Hi Everyone,

This is the second unit I have tried, so I know the issue is on my end.

I have no issue following the guides, formatting the SD card, loading the folders/files, but no matter what I try, I cannot get any picture.

The TV gets signal, but its a blank / black screen.

I have tried 5x different SD cards, and I have tried a CRT TV to ensure its not a video resolution issue.

Its the x7, so no need to check for any switch right?

Is there something obvious I am missing, or do I need to just hunt down a better SD card?

Others state that they get error messages, I don't even get that. The console has no problem playing regular games.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated before I go buy a bunch of SD cards. Thank you-

Offline grifaz

• View Profile
Re: Trouble with new ED64 x7
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 11:27 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I have no issue following the guides, formatting the SD card, loading the folders/files, but no matter what I try, I cannot get any picture.

The TV gets signal, but its a blank / black screen.

I have tried 5x different SD cards, and I have tried a CRT TV to ensure its not a video resolution issue.

Its the x7, so no need to check for any switch right?

Is there something obvious I am missing, or do I need to just hunt down a better SD card?

Others state that they get error messages, I don't even get that. The console has no problem playing regular games.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated before I go buy a bunch of SD cards. Thank you-

Reading through your post, you don't seem to mention putting the ED OS onto the freshly formatted SD card. Without the OS, nothing will be booted.
Make sure to install the latest v3.03 OS from here: http://krikzz.com/pub/support/everdrive-64/x-series/OS/

Offline mettabot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 05:26 PM »
Hi,

I mentioned I don't have a problem following the instructions.

I copied the latest ED64 folder to the root directory of the SD, and BESIDE it I made a Roms folder for the roms.

I am using OS-V3.03OS-V3.03.

Is there anything else straight forward that I may be overlooking?

Let me know any ideas. Thank you-

Offline mettabot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 05:27 PM »
The part that really stumps me is the lack of any errors on the screen. Any ideas on that one?

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 05:59 PM »
No clue of the ED x7, but my v3 has a switch for PAL/NTSC. The issue looks quite a bit like permament reset button due to lockout for me.

Offline grifaz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 10:47 PM »
Another idea: Are you using a micro SD or SDHC card or a microSDXC one? In the past, hardware proved to be finicky when using micro SD cards with too much storage (yes, that's a thing). Compatibility is normally best with up to 32 gigabytes. I'm using an unbranded microSDHC card with 16GB storage and my setup worked out of the box with the same setup as yours.

And another obvious question: Have you checked an original game before the X7 with the exact same setup (same cables etc)?
It's always possible one of the connectors is corroded or a cable is not connected properly. Just checking the regular boxes first thing...

Offline mettabot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 11:09 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried a few cards, a mix of Kingston and Sandisk, 4gb, 8gb, 16gb, 32gbs. I dont have them in front of me at the moment, must most of them were SDHCs. I believe the newer Sandisks also had A1 (or AI).

With every test, I would load a normal cartridge to confirm the video should be coming through (regular carts work without issue, also using a CRT so resolution isn't an issue).

Can you guys confirm one thing for me. If you start it without an SD card, do you get an error screen?

I cant even get an error message, and with what i have read, i should at least get a 'sd card error'.

This is the second x7 I purchased because I thought the first unit was defective.

If you guys don't get that error either, (and just a black screen), then I can focus my attention on other SD cards/types.

Let me know if you get a chance, thanks for the replies-

Offline mettabot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 02:04 AM »
Here is a picture of the SD cards I am working with.

I have tried them all (except the 4GB Kingston, that one might be corrupt for good).

If anyone could try booting without an SD card to confirm if they get an error or not, that would be a huge help. Thanks again-

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 03:04 AM »
This is the second x7 I purchased because I thought the first unit was defective.
Are you using the same console?
It could be that your N64 has some problem that doesn't affect regular games (or the ones that you have at least) and the Everdrive can't boot due to that. The problem could be located on the console itself or the power supply.

Try cleaning the cartridge contacts with Isopropyl alcohol.
I advise you to try another console and power supply if you can.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline mettabot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 05:00 AM »
Yes, I only have one console. To this point I didn't have a reason to think it might have an issue. I've played Mario 64, Mario Kart, and even all of DK64 with the expansion pak.

Tried another SD card today, same result. Another clue, when I turn it on, the screen does go black, then after a few moments the brightness changes a few times and you can see some slight lines in the black.

As per your advice, I did look up and clean the cartridge slot today with 90+ isop, but no change in results (and normal games still work).

I do have the capacitor kits on the way, I did plan on changing them anyways.

I am down to:

-try other SD cards
-upgrade your n64s capacitors (power supply too)
-try on another n64

Thanks guys-

Offline grifaz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 06:55 PM »
Indeed I just tested this on my X7 and there should be an error screen when booting from the X7 without an SD card inserted, saying something like "SD card not found" and a couple of s/n.
Now, I don't know if this is only possible because there is already a copy of the OS on the internal chips of the cartridge so this won't really help you.

It seems you did a thorough job of testing everything though and you seem to have done a fair share of trial and error. To me it looks like there are only two possibilities left since those are the only constant variables as yet:

a) Your N64 is in some way broken (capacitors or power supply as you said or something on the mainboard). Since the ED64X7 draws slightly more energy than original cartridges afaik, this could be enough to lead to this outcome.
b) The Everdrive 64 X7 you received is faulty.

Now you can consider finding another N64 to test your X7 on (maybe someone you knows still owns another one?) or contact Krikzz with a copy of your invoice to have a look at it.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2020, 04:01 PM »

What do you mean by "second unit"? Do you mean the second Everdrive 64 that you've tried? If so, then that would heavily suggest that your N64 is somehow at fault, since it's very unlikely (though not impossible) that two ED64s would exhibit the same fault.

I don't have an X7 (just the v2.0), so I can't test what a black boot up screen means, sorry. But the X7 was a fairly large redesign of the ED64, I think I read somewhere, so you can't necessarily compare the symptoms of an X7 ED64 to an earlier ED64

You do seem to have exhausted every possible route you could, so I have to concur with Grifaz that your next step should be to find (if possible) another N64 to try the ED64 on, or to get in touch with Krikzz directly and see what he thinks.

I'm sorry you are having this trouble, but trust me on this, when you do get the ED64 working and with all the game hacks and mods on your SD card along with all the N64 games, then you will *love* your Everdrive 64 (and then it should serve you for many, many years  :), it really does transform the N64.

Let us know how you get on, please.

Offline mettabot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 07:55 AM »
Just a quick update for those curious.

I replaced the CAPS on the n64 and the power supply, but still the same results.

I am going to get to the bottom of this, I have a friend who is going to try it on his system. Stay tuned. Thanks for the tips-

Offline mettabot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2020, 10:44 AM »
I finally found the issue. After a lot of research, I found out that n64 cart slot, pin 45 is required for everdrive to boot.

Sure enough, I pulled apart the n64 cart slot, and 45 was broken off.

A solder job, and it should be back to 100%.