Author Topic: MED Pro and Mega SG Sega CD issues  (Read 1959 times)

Offline lastcallhall

• View Profile
MED Pro and Mega SG Sega CD issues
« on: July 18, 2020, 09:29 PM »
Hey all, just wanting to report a few issues here. Maybe someone can assist/verify.

I have a Mega SG running Smokemonster's hacked firmware JB 7.7 and a Mega Everdrive Pro running firmware 4.01.

Sega Genesis games, for the most part, seem to run fine. There are some hacks that I can't get to run, but I think that's more user error than anything when applying the patch.

Sega CD games, however, have issues with seeking and loading.

Examples:
Final Fight (REDUMP, US Version): hangs at a black screen at random transitions from one area to another. Could be after the underground in Stage 1, entering the subway in Stage 2, entering the Andore cage in Stage 3, or loading a bonus stage. It's totally random.

Lunar 2 (REDUMP, US Version): Does not load at all. I get the Sega intro splash then a black screen.

Eternal Champions CD (REDUMP, US Version): Hangs half way through the intro video.

Snatcher (REDUMP, US Version): Sometimes hangs after choosing a new game and options, fails to load the intro video.

So far I have tried other CD rips (less reputable), Single bin+cue files, etc. I keep getting loading errors. I have also tried multiple BIOS files (US 1.10, 2.00, 2.00w), and it does not alleviate the issue. I have searched for an emulate seek time in both the Mega SD and Mega Everdrive Pro, but I can't find one. Kinda not sure where to go from here.

Any thoughts and or comments would be appreciated. Thanks! Gonna crosspost this into the Analogue forums/help area to see if I get anywhere there as well.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: MED Pro and Mega SG Sega CD issues
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 10:15 PM »
Just tested mentioned games with my mega-sg and seems everything fine. I use regular firmware 4.7. Make sure that you have good enough power supply adapter (i use one from ipad).

EDIT: Oh, and try another sd card if you have one, just in case
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 10:21 PM by KRIKzz »

Offline lastcallhall

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 11:48 PM »
cool, will do. I dont even need the JB firmware anyway. I'll load out with all the original devices that came with the SG and see how it goes. Will report back. Thanks!

Offline lastcallhall

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 09:36 PM »
So in the end it turned out to be the SD card. Went from A Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB card to a Samsung Pro 64GB card and it worked fine. Thanks for the help!

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 11:25 PM »
I have a bunch of samsung evo sd cards by the way, i think samsung cards is really good

Offline r.pakai

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 09:25 AM »
Hi KRIKzz!

I encountered the same issue with my Sandisk Ultra 128GB card on a Japanese Mega Drive 2 console...
Unfortunately currently i dont have any spare microsd card to test, so i need to look for an another one...

Do you think you can improve the microsd card compatibility?
Or is there any settings which can solve this issue?

Thanks!

Offline yoshi41

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 02:12 PM »
I was curious about these issues, since I use a Sandisk A1 400 GB card (exFAT/MBR) without any problems on a JAP MD1 using firmware 4.02.

I tried another Sandisk A1 16 GB card (FAT32/MBR) and I have the same issues with Eternal Champions + Lunar Eternal Blue as described above.

Then I formatted the same 16 GB card with ExFAT/MBR and the issues went away.

Is your card FAT32 formatted and does it work if you format it with exFAT?

Offline NerdyBros

• Pixels Never Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 11:46 PM »
I can confirm that formatting the SD to ExFAT (MBR) solved problems I was having with Eternal Blue. The game would get caught in a loop during the opening. Might be good to recommend ExFAT as the preferred format, which incidentally is what I use on the Mega SD as well, which is what led me to reformatting once I realized I was having problems with the ED but not the Mega SD. Using a model 01 Genesis.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 11:48 PM by NerdyBros »