Author Topic: any plans for an everdrive gb pro in future?  (Read 2190 times)

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
any plans for an everdrive gb pro in future?
« on: July 22, 2020, 05:52 PM »
i'm finally about to get an x7 edition of the everdrive gb. i have been wanting to get one for a while but still have not got around to it due to lack of time to play.
 now i want to get one but i was wondering if everive gb may get a pro edition in the near future? i don't want to buy an x7 soon just to find out a pro edition is being released. like with the mega everdrive line.
 i know the mega everdrive pro is adding some great new things (cd support) so the pro edition makes a lot of sense.
 i can't think what a pro edition of an everdrive gb could bring to the table that the x7 does not do.
 still it would be nice to know if there are any plans for a pro edition.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: any plans for an everdrive gb pro in future?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 07:27 PM »
There are many things that can be added to X7.

1. Improve compatibility by adding support for the missing MBCs (MBC6, MBC7, HuC-1, HuC-3, TAMA5 etc). The problem is that most of them require special hardware.

2. A feature for the Everdrive to "become" the game cartridge which can only be exited using a hardware switch on the Everdrive or something similar. This is needed for N64 Transfer Pak for example.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 07:34 PM »
There are many things that can be added to X7.

1. Improve compatibility by adding support for the missing MBCs (MBC6, MBC7, HuC-1, HuC-3, TAMA5 etc). The problem is that most of them require special hardware.

2. A feature for the Everdrive to "become" the game cartridge which can only be exited using a hardware switch on the Everdrive or something similar. This is needed for N64 Transfer Pak for example.

Those extra chips would be useful as of now I don't even think goomba can run most of those games if not the ones in this list while the EDGB can run quite a lot of these except a select 15 of them and that's not counting the unl roms and still incoming unl games...

https://imgur.com/3MaJ0ZZ

On the plus side it can support these games at least - https://imgur.com/keeNmb0 and https://imgur.com/6PIekbm

I do hope that if a pro did come out they would revert to using a much bigger SD card as having a small micro SD with no reader is a pain to eject it with the spring, it didn't help that the pro also used that way of doing it later likely copying the Super Everdrive way of using the card.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 11:19 PM by Richardragon87 »
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 10:24 PM »
extra hardware with such a small cart. would it even be possible.
 i may just go ahead and get the x7.
 the missing mbcs are for mostly unl games? is there a list of what is not working on the x7?

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 11:17 PM »
extra hardware with such a small cart. would it even be possible.
 i may just go ahead and get the x7.
 the missing mbcs are for mostly unl games? is there a list of what is not working on the x7?

The size of the cart may not really be an issue as the everdrive GB was capable of using boarders from any game on the SGB without any extra hardware the only games which would still be unplayable on the X7 would be these ones https://imgur.com/a/1kDGFgv

One interesting thing about the X7 however is the device is so much faster than the older models it accidentally loads the folder rom set up before the roms display so their is a minimal of 10 seconds before they appear while on the older models it would freeze the menu screen when clicked on so that the roms would load up before showing the contents of the folder.

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 09:45 PM »
If it would support all that extra hardware (which includes gyro sensors, rumble motors, RTCs, IR-emitters/sensors and beepers) the cartridge would probably be bigger, and not everyone would like that.
I don't understand what SGB borders have to do with anything? Those are software things and there is no way they would affect cartridge size.

What Goomba can do and can not do is quite uninteresting as it's an emulator on another system.

No, all the mentioned mappers are licensed, so I doubt unlicensed games would be able to use them. Unlicensed games may use yet other mappers, like the Rocket Games and Wisdom Tree games.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 04:53 AM »
yeah i noticed after looking at the list that the games using those missing mappers were licensed.
 is it a case that all of them can not be supported on the carts we already have available? maybe some of them krikzz has not added support for yet. when it comes to extra hardware then that is a different matter.
 all those unsupported mappers use extra hardware?

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 12:25 PM »
yeah i noticed after looking at the list that the games using those missing mappers were licensed.
 is it a case that all of them can not be supported on the carts we already have available? maybe some of them krikzz has not added support for yet. when it comes to extra hardware then that is a different matter.

What is really weird is that goomba supported HUC1 meaning the game Daikijyuu Montigatari - Miracle of the Zone worked on it but the EDGB couldn't run it, their has been weird instances when emulators managed to load games that normally default consoles struggled to being complex mapper ones.

Post changed:

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 07:44 PM »

What is really weird is that goomba supported HUC1 meaning the game Daikijyuu Montigatari - Miracle of the Zone worked on it but the EDGB couldn't run it, their has been weird instances when emulators managed to load games that normally default consoles struggled to being complex mapper ones.

Dude, nobody's talking about emulators.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 11:29 PM »
Almost all unsupported mappers has some kind of special hardware in the cartridge. MMM01 and unlicensed mappers like Sachen, Wisdom Tree and Rocket Games are the main exceptions, so maybe the Everdrives could add support to all of them in OS updates.

Here are the main unsupported cartridge types:

MBC6
Has some flash memory on cartridge. Only "Net de Get: Minigame @ 100" uses it. You could download mini games using the network adapter and store on the flash.

MBC7
Accelerometer for tilt-sensing (not gyro-sensor as I said above). Used in a Kirby game and Command Master.

MBC30
A variation of MBC3 only used for Japanese Pokemon Crystal. Allows up to 64kB SRAM instead of 32kB, otherwise identical to MBC3 I think. I'm not sure if any Everdrive supports this or not yet.

HUC1
Hudson's MBC and has the "GBKiss", an IR-communication device like on the Gameboy Color. Although used mainly by Hudson games, Nintendo also used it for Pokemon Card GB.

HuC3
Has GBKiss, RTC (probably not accessed the exact same way as the MBC3 RTC) and a beeper used as a kind of alarm when the game is sleeping, like an early form of streetpass.

TAMA5
Also has RTC and a beeper. Used in Game de Hakken!! Tamagotchi: Osutchi to Mesutchi.

MMM01
A licensed multicart mapper used by Taito Variety Pack, Momotaro Collection 2 and a Chinese variant of the Taito Variety Pack, "Mani 4 in 1".

Game Boy Camera
Obviously has a digital camera in the cartridge.

Then there's the MBC5 rumble feature which isn't supported by any Everdrive.

Here is a nice list:
https://gbhwdb.gekkio.fi/cartridges/
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 01:16 AM by nuu »

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 04:50 AM »
Almost all unsupported mappers has some kind of special hardware in the cartridge. MMM01 and unlicensed mappers like Sachen, Wisdom Tree and Rocket Games are the main exceptions, so maybe the Everdrives could add support to all of them in OS updates.

Here are the main unsupported cartridge types:

MBC6
Has some flash memory on cartridge. Only "Net de Get: Minigame @ 100" uses it. You could download mini games using the network adapter and store on the flash.

MBC7
Accelerometer for tilt-sensing (not gyro-sensor as I said above). Used in a Kirby game and Command Master.

MBC30
A variation of MBC3 only used for Japanese Pokemon Crystal. Allows up to 64kB SRAM instead of 32kB, otherwise identical to MBC3 I think. I'm not sure if any Everdrive supports this or not yet.

HUC1
Hudson's MBC and has the "GBKiss", an IR-communication device like on the Gameboy Color. Although used mainly by Hudson games, Nintendo also used it for Pokemon Card GB.

HuC3
Has GBKiss, RTC (probably not accessed the exact same way as the MBC3 RTC) and a beeper used as a kind of alarm when the game is sleeping, like an early form of streepass.

TAMA5
Also has RTC and a beeper. Used in Game de Hakken!! Tamagotchi: Osutchi to Mesutchi.

MMM01
A licensed multicart mapper used by Taito Variety Pack, Momotaro Collection 2 and a Chinese variant of the Taito Variety Pack, "Mani 4 in 1".

Game Boy Camera
Obviously has a digital camera in the cartridge.

Then there's the MBC5 rumble feature which isn't supported by any Everdrive.

Here is a nice list:
https://gbhwdb.gekkio.fi/cartridges/

Oh wow after seeing those HuC3 and the TAMA5 gamepak for the 1st time, I think we can officially say if a pro Gameboy Everdrive came out it would likely look like that and here I thought the gamegenie for that device was sticking out too much xD

Also that's some interesting info on each chip and what each gamepak looks like, if I recall on my finalized version which I called the Everdrive GB final version dated back in the 2013's a lot of these labelled games came from searching up Wika's on gamepaks that had either enhanced pallets to even special functions if I recall - https://imgur.com/3MaJ0ZZ and https://imgur.com/6PIekbm and https://imgur.com/keeNmb0

Post changed:

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 01:44 AM »
I see that you are listing a few MBC1 problem games that also might not work on Everdrives yet. Such as Bomber Man Collection and the Mortal Kombat games. You are missing MBC30.

Games that uses the printer or mobile adapter shouldn't have any problems with the Everdrives, neither should SGB enhanced games. The Transfer Pak is a problem though.

BTW if I were you, I would make those lists in text format instead of an image, so that they become searchable, smaller size and easier to edit.

Here is an incomplete list of games that doesn't work on the original Everdrive GB:
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-everdrive-gb-game-boy-and-game-boy.html

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 02:11 AM »
I see that you are listing a few MBC1 problem games that also might not work on Everdrives yet. Such as Bomber Man Collection and the Mortal Kombat games. You are missing MBC30.

Games that uses the printer or mobile adapter shouldn't have any problems with the Everdrives, neither should SGB enhanced games. The Transfer Pak is a problem though.

BTW if I were you, I would make those lists in text format instead of an image, so that they become searchable, smaller size and easier to edit.

Here is an incomplete list of games that doesn't work on the original Everdrive GB:
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-everdrive-gb-game-boy-and-game-boy.html

What's interesting as they came from the Wika when I searched for what games used which mappers and which games were only for GBC and those that were for both GB/GBC if I recall the blue stamp on the Japanese box indicated it was compatible on both devices while the red one indicated it was GBC only... then again it has been years since I made that list so its likely obsolete by now.

This was of course the time I went through over 1000's of PD roms to see if they would run or not run on a SGB and make a specific folder for each and every one of them giving it the title of "final version"

Fun fact: The images you see in the list that detailed each special chip or add on were not actual images but the ROMs itself I made a copy and put a text summery in each and everyone of them years ago!

Post changed:

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 01:46 PM »
I don't know what stamps you are talking about. There are usually little icons on the package that tells what it's compatible with, and the cartridge color also tells sometimes.

Did you find any PD roms that didn't work on SGB? I think any DMG game should work on it.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 05:22 PM »
I don't know what stamps you are talking about. There are usually little icons on the package that tells what it's compatible with, and the cartridge color also tells sometimes.

Did you find any PD roms that didn't work on SGB? I think any DMG game should work on it.

They were more or less a style of the old Nintendo seal of quality and had a sun like circle in the corner of the game with some Japanese text in them, and yeah the PD ones were all checked and put into sub folders - https://imgur.com/a/M3UaPxb

Post changed: