Author Topic: MED Pro - how to change region/country for MD (World) roms?  (Read 1128 times)

Offline ym2612

• View Profile
Hello, on the X7 there was a region/country select option, on the Pro I'm missing this option?

If you run a (World) rom on a japanese Mega Drive the Everdrive selects JP as country, so ie. Ghostbusters (World) rom gives japanese text - but on the X7 it was possible to change the region to ie. US and the Everdrive would select US as country on a japanese Mega Drive and run Ghostbusters US version.

Please bring back that feature. I can not play the english translated rom of Fushigi no Umi no Nadia on the PRO and I already sold my X7 :'( :'( :'(

Offline jonnnlad

• View Profile
Re: MED Pro - how to change region/country for MD (World) roms?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 01:03 PM »
+1 please add this!!

I just bought a MEDPro because my current cart doesnt have this feature!!

The Hardware Key was an awesome feature on the x7

EDIT: This is the feature on the x7 missing on the ED Pro

"Game Region: The value should match the ROM region (not the console region). This option is
set automatically every time the user changes the game.The MegaKey feature uses the value of this
option to disable region protection. The user can change this parameter manually, in case the OS
detects the ROM region incorrectly"

Please please please add this to the Pro version!!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 01:18 PM by jonnnlad »

Offline ym2612

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 09:48 PM »
Here is a quick and easy workaround for multi-region roms: just edit the rom header to change the region, ie. Ghostbusters has JUE at offset $1F0, change the bytes 4A 55 45 to 55 20 20 to change the region to U.

This will start the multi-region rom on a japanese system with the U region instead of the J region.

This works also perfect for the Fushigi no Umi no Nadia english translation (where the english patch did not replace the original japanese text and the rom header is set to JU)  ;D

Offline vmat14

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 03:15 PM »
Is there a plan to add this region/country select option to the Mega Everdrive Pro?
I'm trying to play the translated Yuu Yuu Hakusho - Makyou Toitsusen (dual UJ text) in a Japanese Mega Drive without success  :(

Offline IRL Random Hajile

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 06:39 PM »
This is something that I would like to see implemented for the Pro firmware, especially for people who use Japanese Mega Drives to play their games on. I have a NTSC US console, so I'm unaffected by the issue of English translations not working as intended, but... changing ROM regions was an available feature for the older X7 OS, where you can choose custom region for games. Does seem quite odd to me personally that this feature wasn't implemented for the Pro firmware, at least as far as I can see.
"BH75001, Random Hajile... that's
R-A-N-D-O-M H-A-J-I-L-E."

Offline alexkidd89

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 09:57 PM »
This is a really big problem for me.  If I have a non-USA rom, then I cannot play it on my USA Genesis.  We need a region/country fix for this ASAP.  I like the Everdrive Pro, but this feature is a must-have.  Can we get an answer on whether this is coming?

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 11:37 PM »
This is a really big problem for me.  If I have a non-USA rom, then I cannot play it on my USA Genesis.  We need a region/country fix for this ASAP.  I like the Everdrive Pro, but this feature is a must-have.  Can we get an answer on whether this is coming?

If you want a quick answer best to ask Krikzz on Twitter. He responds there much quicker than here.