Author Topic: Possible to patch GBC roms for save state on X3/X5?  (Read 1154 times)

Offline SlippyToadLives

• View Profile
Possible to patch GBC roms for save state on X3/X5?
« on: August 13, 2020, 09:29 PM »
https://github.com/mattcurrie/gb-save-states

Matt Currie's dedication to patched save states in GB games has been a godsend for some GB titles I could never complete without. Also nice for button combos vs hitting the physical everdrive button to prompt load/save state even if you have an X7 (imo).

...Not sure which GBC games I'd even be after, and there's always Goomba for save states on my GBA x5 mini whenever USPS gets its crap together but

Is it possible down the road for GBC save state patches? And maybe should ask the same about GBA on GBA forum, and MiSTER can handle save states anyways but I dont think thats as important since in game saves are mostly tastefully implemented in the GBA library. I had an EZF Omega too but it wiped my game saves multiple times in a few weeks so I returned it and going X5 mini route instead. But that could do save states too.. wonder if thats something Krikzz will implement down the road (or maybe save that for X7 GBA / GBA 'Pro' when he goes after GBA down the road with a new approach and product)

rambling but hope it solicits some interesting conversation
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 09:34 PM by SlippyToadLives »

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
Re: Possible to patch GBC roms for save state on X3/X5?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 10:33 PM »
Not possible, sorry.

The x7 uses an fpga, the x3 and x5 uses a Lattice chip.

Edit: the title was different when I posted this, a rom patch should work, but that is only for gb as the github page says.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 03:41 PM by Marteicos »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 11:26 PM »
I don't understand the question or the answer. The linked patches just requires 32kB of save RAM, MBC1 and MBC5. All that are supported by all GB Everdrives that was ever released. They even have 128kB save RAM.

Offline SlippyToadLives

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 12:12 AM »
I don't understand the question or the answer. The linked patches just requires 32kB of save RAM, MBC1 and MBC5. All that are supported by all GB Everdrives that was ever released. They even have 128kB save RAM.

The question is if someone can discover a way to patch GBC games to include save states with button presses like Matt Currie did with GB games for x3/x5/other flashcards that dont natively support save states.

Not possible, sorry.

The x7 uses an fpga, the x3 and x5 uses a Lattice chip.

Doesn't answer the question but thanks for clarifying the chips

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 12:18 PM »
OK I understand. There are no technical reasons it wouldn't be possible, and GBC games are almost identical to GB games, just that they support the new enhanced hardware features of the GBC as well (color palettes, much more RAM, twice as fast CPU, hardware for very fast data transfers etc).

Gameboy emulators for personal computers are very accurate lately, so one solution is to practice with save states on an emulator until you are good enough with the game to play it without save states on real hardware.

Offline mattcurrie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 11:09 PM »
Hey there, just to let you know I've now added support for Game Boy Color games to my gb-save-states project and added a few patches in the repo.

I haven't personally tested on X3 or X5, but the patches should work fine on any cart with 128 KB SRAM.