Author Topic: Mega Everdrive X3 - Worked for years and 2 moves, suddenly black screen only.  (Read 409 times)

Offline Zuon94

• View Profile
I bought a Mega Everdrive X3 directly from the Krikkz store several years ago. I don't have an official Sega Genesis, but my Super Retro Trio has handled every game/adapter/cartridge for every system on it - including GBA through and adapter for the SNES port. However, I moved myself several states over with very poor timing - 2 days before the COVID quarantine... forcing me to eventually move back just a few months later. Upon the move back, the Everdrive cart no longer works. I thought at first it was just the SD card, as that wasn't reading in other computers either, but even after flashing a new SD card with the firmware and copying games over... nothing but a black screen when I turn the power on. Other SEGA Genesis cartridges work with no issues, and all other flash carts for other systems (as well as their games) work perfectly in the other ports too. I think my Everdrive X3 might have died during the move back, but I don't know how. It looks perfectly fine, and it was packed so well there was nothing around to crush it. I just feel really defeated because now, not only am I a 20-something year old man begrudgingly living back with my (absentmindedly abusive) folks in a time where no one is hiring, but I don't even have enough credit left to buy a replacement... I'm more focused on keeping myself fed and getting back over a healthy weight, for the time being.

Is there anything that could possibly be done to maybe "resurrect" the cartridge? It's just an expensive item that I wasn't expecting to just suddenly kick the bucket.

Online Marteicos

• View Profile
There nothing much to do aside cleaning the contacts or trying in another system.

Can you send photos of the pcb?

Offline Zuon94

• View Profile
There nothing much to do aside cleaning the contacts or trying in another system.

Can you send photos of the pcb?

Certainly. I hope the quality is okay enough, I had to give away my better camera. Sorry for the late response by the way. I've been very forgetful lately. Doctors suspect there may be something wrong with my brain. CT scan is scheduled for Monday to make sure.

Online Marteicos

• View Profile
The contacts seems a bit dirty still, I would like to see the back side too. Maybe some of the tracks is not doing proper contact still.

Maybe the Lattice chip died, if this is the case then the cart is gone.
Try to check it on a stock console, do Genesis carts works on your trio?

Ps, don't insert the cartridge all the way in, pull it back a little after insertion.

I hope it is nothing serious happening to your brain.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 03:03 PM by Marteicos »

Offline Zuon94

• View Profile
The contacts seems a bit dirty still, I would like to see the back side too. Maybe some of the tracks is not doing proper contact still.

Maybe the Lattice chip died, if this is the case then the cart is gone.
Try to check it on a stock console, do Genesis carts works on your trio?

Ps, don't insert the cartridge all the way in, pull it back a little after insertion.

I hope it is nothing serious happening to your brain.

I took four photos yesterday, but could only post one due to the 1024kb limit. Here's the back side.
And yes, The Sonic Classics Collection (1, 2, and Mean Bean Machine), works, Virtua Racing works, and Standalone Sonic 2 works. It's just the Everdrive that doesn't. I've also tried pulling out slightly, and tilting it left/right to see if that would make it read, but no dice. I'll try cleaning the contracts later and report back how it goes. I hope the chip itself isn't dead. Thank you for your responses.