Author Topic: Mega Man X SA-1 hangs on title screen  (Read 1081 times)

Offline ZeroPageX

• View Profile
Mega Man X SA-1 hangs on title screen
« on: September 11, 2020, 09:40 PM »
Hi there!  Loving the FXPAK Pro so far!  I ran into a problem today though.

There's an SA-1 patch for MMX I've been playing around with.  It seems to run fine on Snes9x 1.60 x64, but with FXPAK Pro and 1.10.3 firmware, the title screen animation stops, and the game hangs.

Here's the SA-1 patch.
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5145/

Edit: I should add, other SA-1 titles are working fine including Kirby's Dream Land 3, Super Mario RPG, and the SA-1 hacks for Gradius 3, Contra 3, and Super Mario World.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:59 PM by ZeroPageX »

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Man X SA-1 hangs on title screen
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 11:27 PM »
You need to disable your in game hooks, this hang on the title screen issue also happens with the Japanese Super Famicom Rom Kamen Rider, if you try that game and it gets stuck on the title screen or does load up the prologue it will hang on that screen normally the button input key tends to work midway into the game but I find I easier just turning it off from the menu screen as this way the rom is able to function without having values altered causing weird issues to happen.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline ZeroPageX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 12:13 AM »
You need to disable your in game hooks, this hang on the title screen issue also happens with the Japanese Super Famicom Rom Kamen Rider, if you try that game and it gets stuck on the title screen or does load up the prologue it will hang on that screen normally the button input key tends to work midway into the game but I find I easier just turning it off from the menu screen as this way the rom is able to function without having values altered causing weird issues to happen.

"In-game hook" was "Off."  I also tried turning off the "In-game buttons" and "Initial holdoff" as the way they were listed made them look like in-game hooks.  When I do that, the game won't get past the copyright screen.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 12:32 AM »

"In-game hook" was "Off."  I also tried turning off the "In-game buttons" and "Initial holdoff" as the way they were listed made them look like in-game hooks.  When I do that, the game won't get past the copyright screen.

That's weird maybe the FXPAK does it in a completely different way as on the SD2SNES the only way to play those games is to remove the in game hooks as they hang on the title screen as the controller becomes unresponsive for some reason, I sadly don't own the FXPAK but as I presumed the SD2SNES worked the same way it did I gave that information as it normally works.

I presume that the button command in gameplay to disable the in game hooks would likely not work either... strange.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 12:34 AM by Richardragon87 »
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 05:39 PM »
That's very strange. A game not working because you turned off in-game hooks sounds very unlikely to me. And if they are off, the "In-game buttons" and "Initial holdoff" options shouldn't matter.

Try also turning off the region patch as it can also cause problems.

Offline ZeroPageX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 11:41 AM »
That's very strange. A game not working because you turned off in-game hooks sounds very unlikely to me. And if they are off, the "In-game buttons" and "Initial holdoff" options shouldn't matter.

Try also turning off the region patch as it can also cause problems.

I never had "In-Game Hooks" turned on.  It's always been off.  The game is broken with "in-game buttons" on and off.  It just breaks in different ways.  I figured that option shouldn't matter as it appeared to be a sub-option, but it does.  The actual issue is though, the game doesn't work.

I tried messing with the region options as well.  It unfortunately made no difference.

Offline ka55

• View Profile

Offline ZeroPageX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 01:13 AM »
Try this fix from SA1 to sd2snes pro.
https://github.com/mrehkopf/sd2snes/commit/71e7ec54098e38d4c7ea38617b2810675ac07fa3#commitcomment-36408651

That did the trick!  Thanks!

I hope this fix goes into the next official release.