Author Topic: X7 Menu Freezing and CPY test ERROR:01  (Read 1155 times)

Offline mikeb

• View Profile
X7 Menu Freezing and CPY test ERROR:01
« on: November 15, 2020, 07:23 PM »
I'm having an issue where my Everdrive GB X7 in my Gameboy Advance consistently freezes up after scrolling 1-4 pages in the menu system.  If I get a game to boot before the menu freezes, it works ok.

I ran system diagnostics and got CPY test....ERROR:01.

I've tried a different SD card, but the same issue occurs.

In my Gameboy Color, I do not have this issue or the CPY test error.

In my Gameboy Original, I don't have this issue, but in the in-game menu, "Back to menu" often does not work, it just resets the current game.

Any thoughts?

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Re: X7 Menu Freezing and CPY test ERROR:01
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 11:46 PM »
I'm having an issue where my Everdrive GB X7 in my Gameboy Advance consistently freezes up after scrolling 1-4 pages in the menu system.  If I get a game to boot before the menu freezes, it works ok.

I ran system diagnostics and got CPY test....ERROR:01.

I've tried a different SD card, but the same issue occurs.

In my Gameboy Color, I do not have this issue or the CPY test error.

In my Gameboy Original, I don't have this issue, but in the in-game menu, "Back to menu" often does not work, it just resets the current game.

Any thoughts?

It's a common error as the GB X7 loads the folders up too fast unlike the original Everdrive GB that came out years ago, the device usually would stall on the menu screen instead of loading the folder up this would give it time to load the roms on the screen but as the X7 is so fast it ends up loading the folder with the roms prematurely activated thus it freezes the screen normally having more than a few pages causes the entire thing to lock up which is the reason why I rarely use the X7 and instead use the GB Everdrive oldest version besides what is the fun of it if it cannot run on a AGS-101 or Gameboy Pocket.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline mikeb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 02:30 AM »
Interesting. After reading your reply, I scanned the forum more thoroughly and found a lot of related issues with the x series. They do seem a bit more sensitive on a device-by-device basis.

Fortunately one of the posts (http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8641.0) inspired me to try cleaning my Everdrive cart and my gameboy advance cartridge slot, and that solved the problem!

I used a q-tip and isopropyl alcohol to clean the Everdrive. I was surprised how dirty it got in such a short amount of time — perhaps all of my gameboys could use a good cleaning.

To clean the Gameboy Advance slot, I removed the back and scrubbed the slot with a toothbrush dipped in isopropyl alcohol.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 02:45 AM »
Interesting. After reading your reply, I scanned the forum more thoroughly and found a lot of related issues with the x series. They do seem a bit more sensitive on a device-by-device basis.

Fortunately one of the posts (http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8641.0) inspired me to try cleaning my Everdrive cart and my gameboy advance cartridge slot, and that solved the problem!

I used a q-tip and isopropyl alcohol to clean the Everdrive. I was surprised how dirty it got in such a short amount of time — perhaps all of my gameboys could use a good cleaning.

To clean the Gameboy Advance slot, I removed the back and scrubbed the slot with a toothbrush dipped in isopropyl alcohol.

That great news but were you able to find a way to stop the X7 from loading up a folder too fast causing it to always freeze for a few seconds, that was a real deal breaker for me as I am used to games appearing as soon as you access a folder the constant freezing of the pages really spoilt my enjoyment using it.

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline mikeb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 03:13 AM »
I should have said “locked up” in my previous post and not freeze: My Everdrive entirely locked up after scrolling a few pages through a folder, requiring me to reboot the gameboy to get it working again.

I haven’t experienced freezing like you described. It takes about half a second from clicking on a folder to the contents showing, even on a folder with 17 pages of games. Have you tried different sd cards?

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 03:31 AM »
I should have said “locked up” in my previous post and not freeze: My Everdrive entirely locked up after scrolling a few pages through a folder, requiring me to reboot the gameboy to get it working again.

I haven’t experienced freezing like you described. It takes about half a second from clicking on a folder to the contents showing, even on a folder with 17 pages of games. Have you tried different sd cards?

Yeah loads, it is mostly an old retro towers one I got a few years back I don't think its a firmware issue but when a folder is clicked on it always takes a while for all the folder contents to load up, by a few seconds do you mean when you click on the folder it shows a blank empty folder inside then the roms appear after a single second.

Post changed:

Offline mikeb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 04:58 AM »
by a few seconds do you mean when you click on the folder it shows a blank empty folder inside then the roms appear after a single second.

Yeah, pretty much. For a 2 page folder, the roms appear almost instantly. For a 15 page folder, when you click on it, it’ll appear empty and then show the contents in about half a second. For what it’s worth, I’m using a 16gb Sandisk Ultra Plus card.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 05:02 AM »
by a few seconds do you mean when you click on the folder it shows a blank empty folder inside then the roms appear after a single second.

Yeah, pretty much. For a 2 page folder, the roms appear almost instantly. For a 15 page folder, when you click on it, it’ll appear empty and then show the contents in about half a second. For what it’s worth, I’m using a 16gb Sandisk Ultra Plus card.

Sounds like the speed of my one, it just feels plan weird when your used to the old Everdrive that freezed the menu so that the roms all appear when the folder loads up, the lag was the jarring part of enjoying using it even with the RTC clock addition and the black shell.

Post changed: