Author Topic: Recent OS update dropped support for .bin format game loading?  (Read 929 times)

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
I updated GBASYS OS from the old 1.12 to this year's 1.15. My game set was 99% .bin game files which were usable before, but after the update I can only see file info for them but not start them as games, only .gba files work.

Just want to make sure if .bin is no longer supported or if I missed something in the settings.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Re: Recent OS update dropped support for .bin format game loading?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 08:09 PM »
Why did you update it and not wait till you got a spare one so it wouldn't do that? I want to add the OS but as the default X5 resembled a transparent Super Famicom cart miniature sized, I would get the mini X5 to do that and wouldn't want to risk running GBA games on the default one.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 08:13 PM »
It's possible to revert to the earlier OS so it's not a big problem. I can also just use .gba files, but I want to know if .bin support was dropped or if the problem is just with my setup.

Why did you update it and not wait till you got a spare one so it wouldn't do that? I want to add the OS but as the default X5 resembled a transparent Super Famicom cart miniature sized, I would get the mini X5 to do that and wouldn't want to risk running GBA games on the default one.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 08:48 PM »
I wonder if you name the .bin files .gba that would reveal them, take for example a SFC rom converted to GBA you can't name it SFC which would show up but if you rename it GBA it shows up. As the properties would still be a .bin file even if they are changed in directory like how the GBA file is still a SFC rom but it can show up on the menu now as renaming it doesn't change the fie extension like many think it does. Such as renaming the .gbc file .gb it would still be in colour as it's the default one its made as.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 08:50 PM by Richardragon87 »

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 10:22 PM »
Renaming from .bin to .gba may work, but it would take a lot of time to rename all of my game collection, or figure out a script to automate renaming. But right now I'd still like confirmation from krikzz or someone with knowledge about whether .bin game loading is gone in the recent OS releases or not.

I wonder if you name the .bin files .gba that would reveal them, take for example a SFC rom converted to GBA you can't name it SFC which would show up but if you rename it GBA it shows up. As the properties would still be a .bin file even if they are changed in directory like how the GBA file is still a SFC rom but it can show up on the menu now as renaming it doesn't change the fie extension like many think it does. Such as renaming the .gbc file .gb it would still be in colour as it's the default one its made as.

Offline BuckRight

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 12:15 AM »
On a Windows machine it is as simple as using the REN DOS command from a command prompt.

1. Navigate to the directory
2. Type: ren c:*.bin *.gba
** ren (rename) c: (on HDD C)  *.bin (all files that ends in .bin) *.gba (to now end in .gba)

For more info type: ren /?

Its pretty easy for Linux too. Just as simple. There are also a few free software applications for renaming. Google is your friend there as software is a user's choice.

From my knowledge of GBA homebrew, renaming .bin to .gba isn't an issue. If you run into any header problems (GBA boot logo freezes or is corrupted) then Google for GBATA (GBA Tool Advance 0.7a by coolhj). It has a very simple point-n-click solution for fixing GBA file headers.

Cheers!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 11:04 AM »
And it's not like renaming the extension of the roms would do any harm or affect anything else of the file content.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 11:36 AM »
And it's not like renaming the extension of the roms would do any harm or affect anything else of the file content.

Well it never has, as the device will always load the rom with the extension it was when it was first created just try naming a GB rom GBA and it will still load as a Gameboy one for example.

Post changed:

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 10:39 PM »
Thanks for the renaming suggestions. That solves the problem from a practical point of view.

I'm still curious why this changed happened though. Maybe it's most likely that Krikzz simply forgot that some people had been using .bin games and just didn't carry it over into the new OS :P