Author Topic: Wallpaper thread! 320x240 only edition!  (Read 2012 times)

Offline SG333gg

• View Profile
Wallpaper thread! 320x240 only edition!
« on: December 08, 2020, 04:38 AM »
Most of the wallpaper threads are before the x7, which does not support a background over 320x240 (which may i add, sucks major ass btw), and i find myself unable to find a decent image in that small of a res.

Got any good ones?

Also any that make the titles easy to read like a game shelf? (havnt seen that since the older high res ones where made)

Help a user out, here, i made my own edit of the default 2 file that came with my system, just added a rough cut of the N64 logo. Not center and not down by a pro but i really wanted something n64 themed.

Left it as an attachment if you want it. Though its easy to make by yourself too :3
Also added a space themed n64 (however i find it hard to read white text over it)

Enjoy... :3
Please post 320x240 themed wallpaper
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 04:41 AM by SG333gg »

Offline Freezypops

• View Profile
Re: Wallpaper thread! 320x240 only edition!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 07:38 AM »
Replying just to hope someone already made a Conkers background.

Offline taxosiyu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 10:54 AM »
space n64 looks really cool

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 09:44 PM »
Here is an archive of some Everdrive 64 wallpapers, in both 640 x 480, and 320 x 240 resolutions.

Downlod the archive from:

https://mega.nz/file/eUk0gSiK#m_E5nbBDT0JsJ5N11Xzp48tahtJiESppKG0RksNFbkM

Edit: The archive in the above link now contains both .JPG and .BMP files, for X7 users.

These are the wallpapers (don't click on these to download them, click on the mega.nz link, above.

Also, some X7 wallpapers are available from the post at:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=9671.msg73197#msg73197

To create your own wallpaper, use the free program called Easy Graphic Converter, from

http://www.etrusoft.com/graphic-converter/index.htm

as for some reason, some graphic converters don't create files that the Everdrive 64 can use.

Use this program to convert a photo or picture that you like to a resolution of either 640 x 480, or 320 x 240. The resolution you need depends on your Everdrive 64 version; v2.0 and v2.5 Everdrives can use either 640 x 480 or 320 x 240, so you may as well use 640 x 480, as it will look better. But the X7 Everdrive 64 and maybe the v3 ( I don't know) can only use 320 x 240, at least until Krikzz updates the OS software to support a higher resolution, so you will have to go with 320 x 240.

Whichever resolution you use, the file extension MUST be .bmp (i.e. the file MUST be a bitmap graphics file), and it MUST be 16 bit. Use Easy Graphic Converter from the link I give above, and as long as you use the right resolution
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 04:30 PM by Kerr Avon »

Offline SG333gg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 11:41 PM »
Here is an archive of some Everdrive 64 wallpapers, in both 640 x 480, and 320 x 240 resolutions.

For real just seeing that wallpaper game shelf in 640 makes me sad as i know theres nothing like that in a lower res. I wish there was someone who could make a few of them for easier to read titles that match up with the screen's background. Anyone got anything like that in 320x240 ? Or anything that makes reading white text easier on the eyes?

Side note: I dont think .bmp works with the everdrive x7, i think it has to be a jpeg. I also have no program to open .bmp or convert it to jpeg. However from the preview these look like they make text harder to read but look nice. Kinda like my space n64 background, is there something for easy of read without being just one color or simple?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 11:57 PM by SG333gg »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 01:43 PM »
Mind the overscan when creating wallpapers. I don't know about the X7, but the v2 displays it over the whole screen so that part of the top, bottom and sides are cropped off on a TV. The OS menu itself isn't designed correctly either and parts of it is cropped, especially if using the larger resolution.

I've also seen a lot of homebrew not caring about overscan. Mind the overscan.

Offline SG333gg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 09:36 PM »
Google seems to have a hard time finding anything past the size requirement and the word wallpaper, however i noticed pioxel art had a few hits, sadly if i try to expand on that by a word like japan or something the sizes are all wrong. However heres a few gems i found that others may enjoy and are hopefully easier to read white text on.

I found most of them here: https://hdqwalls.com/320x240/pixel-wallpapers

Its hit and miss but pixel 4k backgrounds resized this small seem just fine
As you can see from these images i included in the post, i tried to keep it darker for easy reading.

Please enjoy these and try to give back to the thread :3

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 04:28 PM »
Here's a new link, with the same images as in my earlier post, but they are now also in .JPG format (and still in .BMP format too, of course), hopefully they will work on the X7.

https://mega.nz/file/eUk0gSiK#m_E5nbBDT0JsJ5N11Xzp48tahtJiESppKG0RksNFbkM

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 04:56 PM »

Have you tried the ones in my archive? I've just uploaded a new archive with them in .JPG format, for X7 users.

Offline gigacaesar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 01:01 AM »
I've got Photoshop, and I'll be making a few wallpapers for my X7 when it arrives. If anyone has an image they're like to use, post a link here and I'll see what I can do.

Mind the overscan when creating wallpapers. I don't know about the X7, but the v2 displays it over the whole screen so that part of the top, bottom and sides are cropped off on a TV. The OS menu itself isn't designed correctly either and parts of it is cropped, especially if using the larger resolution.

If you're able, could you take a picture of that happening so I can figure out where the margins should be?

Offline Freezypops

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2020, 02:39 AM »

Have you tried the ones in my archive? I've just uploaded a new archive with them in .JPG format, for X7 users.

I did! Kerr to the rescue again. I used that program to try my hand at creating my own https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WVPucN1Jum0lxkLm5b5x6UiRaace7Wok

Offline SG333gg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 02:18 AM »
I just figured out how to play GBC on my n64, anyone got any decent pokemon backgrounds for the x7 in 320x240 ?

Offline SG333gg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 10:56 PM »

Hey just to confirm this, the x7 has the same issue. I just never noticed before, but i just tried to make a (list) type background and noticed it right away. So technically the 320x240 is a bit less visually....which is strange. I wonder if an update will fix that or if we gotta do it ourselfs.

Do you know if there is a setting to change so they display correctly or must we make the backgrounds with dead space due to the cutoff ?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2021, 11:24 PM »
I don't think Krikzz was aware of the overscan problem, or else the menu wouldn't be cropped like it is. Maybe his TV displays the full image from the video signal. Modern flat TVs often to do that, while CRTs doesn't. Hopefully he will fix it in an update someday.

You might notice that all games takes care to not have HUDs or menus too far out in the edges to make sure everything shows up on all TVs. Nintendo wouldn't allow you to release your game if you don't mind the overscan. Generally the safe area is something like 16 pixels in on left and right edges and 16 or 24 lines in at top and bottom, but I don't know the exact numbers Nintendo recommends for the N64.

Offline SG333gg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2021, 01:13 AM »
Would it be possible to get a sample image, of the cut off zone in another color, so i can design some backgrounds that dont crop as badly.

Im using super64, connected to a projector and i have the same issue. It runs at a rez of 1280x768 according to a laptop i hooked it up to. I am unable to test other res due to only having a projector.

I really wanna make images for the background but i need it to be outliend for the crop out zone, could you help me?

I don't think Krikzz was aware of the overscan problem, or else the menu wouldn't be cropped like it is. Maybe his TV displays the full image from the video signal. Modern flat TVs often to do that, while CRTs doesn't. Hopefully he will fix it in an update someday.

You might notice that all games takes care to not have HUDs or menus too far out in the edges to make sure everything shows up on all TVs. Nintendo wouldn't allow you to release your game if you don't mind the overscan. Generally the safe area is something like 16 pixels in on left and right edges and 16 or 24 lines in at top and bottom, but I don't know the exact numbers Nintendo recommends for the N64.

Im just trying to make a proper list like background so i can read the titles a lot easier, can you help me find that sweet spot?

edit: did one test, made a square 17 pixels from all sides....results lot more space shows before the cut.. it has to be lower than 17 pixels but higher than 6. Also noticed right side of screen seems to crop more than normal.....the menu lines cut off on the right yet are on the border on the left. It may be due to my projector using hdmi (widescreen) and that odd res but im unsure. I just wanna get as close as i can here.

I know i have more cut off zone than most, (perhaps just on the right, no way to tell)  but i wanna get close as i can here.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 02:55 AM by SG333gg »