Author Topic: Issues with everdrive game launch -- newb alert  (Read 604 times)

Offline dGaltri

• View Profile
Issues with everdrive game launch -- newb alert
« on: January 13, 2021, 03:57 AM »
Hi everyone, first off, thank you to the community - the fact that this tech exists is awesome.  Super pumped to play everdrive 64. 

I recently bought the everdrive 64 x2.5 from the Krikzz site.  I followed the instructions from the top pinned post (formatted the SD card reader to FAT32, downloaded the most recent OS (extracted the ED64 file and dragged/dropped), and downloaded several games. 

Where I'm running into problems is when I go to actually turn on the game.  My TV just says signal not found (the black default game background isn't loading up).  I've doubled checked that the SD card reader is FAT32 and deleted/redownloaded the ED64 file.  Any thoughts as to why I'm not seeing the black game default screen pop up?  Any help is so deeply appreciated bc I'll be honest, I'm not that great at this stuff. 

Offline SG333gg

• View Profile
Re: Issues with everdrive game launch -- newb alert
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 06:27 AM »
Sounds like your trying to run pal roms on a us system or the other way around. Make sure your using the correct roms for the hardware.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 05:26 PM »
Yes, the Everdrive 64 can play games from all of the regions (PAL, NTSC, and JAP), but not all TVs can display all modes (and since most TV manufacturers don't actually bother listing what the TV can and can't display, then often the only way to test is trial and error).

Your TV will of course be able to play the games from it's own region (i.e. NTSC if you're in the USA, for example). What region are you?

You should check your TV's manual (or download the manual from the manufacturer's website, if you've lost the paper manual), as there might be an option on the TV to play other regions (probably not, but it's worth a try). Most games and game hacks are NTSC, though, and JAP games seem to play on all NTSC TVs, so if you're an NTSC user then not being able to play PAL games isn't a real problem. If you're a PAL user, though, then you might want to consider using a different TV, or buying a hardware converter, such as one of the RetroTINK ones, though even there it can be trial and error.

I've sent you a PM

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 08:30 PM »
Have you check to make sure it's set to the right region before turning it on? There is a switch on the side of the cart.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 12:26 AM »
The composite video color encoding depends only on the N64 and not on the rom, so the TV must either be universal or match the region of the console. PAL outputs PAL colors and NTSC outputs NTSC colors no matter the region of the rom. Framerate depends on the rom though, NTSC and PAL-M roms are 60Hz and PAL roms are 50Hz.