Author Topic: Not another Lagrange Point post  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Ridley

• View Profile
Not another Lagrange Point post
« on: February 22, 2021, 01:23 AM »
I recently purchased my first EDN8 (non-pro) and got it working with no issues, but I can't get any music working with Lagrange Point.
I made sure I'm running OS v1.25 (verified in the menu)
The ROM is the NoIntro "Lagrange Point (Japan).nes" version patched with the Aeon Genesis 1.01 version from Romhacking.net

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, can anyone help?
EDN8 v1.25

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Re: Not another Lagrange Point post
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 04:44 AM »
Those tricky games which use those complex mappers seem better suited to run on the NES Classic instead of the N8, their is a whole load of other games that run on it too though I recall LP to be one of the many few that I couldn't even figure out how it works or what genre it was all those years back.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 11:23 AM »
It's an expansion audio game (VRC7) so it doesn't work well with the OG N8. It's an RPG.

Offline drunk.caterpillar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 10:04 PM »
If you're playing on an unmodified NES console then you're out of luck. The NES lacks support for expansion audio of any kind, although it can be added back if you install some modifications. If you're using a Famicom N8 with a Famicom then I'm not sure what to say; those should work out of the box with expansion audio.

Offline Ridley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 11:32 PM »
It's an expansion audio game (VRC7) so it doesn't work well with the OG N8. It's an RPG.

Mappers were made for the OG N8, they're hard to find now though. Krikzz supposedly added them to the updated OS and there are plenty of youtube vids comparing the original to the N8 with the mapper by Necronomfive.

My problem is that even with the mappers, it's not working as it should. I think I've done my due diligence to research the issue. Does anyone have the separate version of Necronomfive's mapper so I can try that?
EDN8 v1.25

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 01:25 AM »
As others have noted, is your system modified for expansion audio? If it's an unmodded US system, you won't get any of the expansion audio channels.

Also, on the original N8, the audio levels tend to be pretty low. You'll need to ramp up the presets on the VRC7, but I'm pretty sure you can't go all the way to 200% or it starts distorting.

Other than that, the game should work fine with the last release of the firmware.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 01:39 AM by Sarge »
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline drunk.caterpillar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 03:43 AM »
My problem is that even with the mappers, it's not working as it should. I think I've done my due diligence to research the issue. Does anyone have the separate version of Necronomfive's mapper so I can try that?

As I understand it from the changelogs, the latest version of Necronomfive's VRC7 mapper is included with v1.25.

Quote from: Sarge
Also, on the original N8, the audio levels tend to be pretty low. You'll need to ramp up the presets on the VRC7, but I'm pretty sure you can't go all the way to 200% or it starts distorting.

Yeah, I could go up to 133% before I heard distortion. That's just how it is with the original N8. 🤷‍♂️

Offline Ridley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 06:49 PM »
As others have noted, is your system modified for expansion audio? If it's an unmodded US system, you won't get any of the expansion audio channels.

Other than that, the game should work fine with the last release of the firmware.

I see what you mean now. It looks like a simple mod at least. Do you have a recommended size on the resistor? I'm seeing most posts recommend 56k ohms.
EDN8 v1.25

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 02:58 AM »
I ended up using a 47k resistor, myself. 56k is probably fine, too. You may want to consider a potentiometer if you want to try to dial in settings instead.

There are other solutions out there, too, including one that plugs into the expansion port on the bottom of the system, but I'm not sure it's available anymore.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/