Author Topic: SMS OS v7-beta  (Read 19627 times)

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SMS OS v7-beta
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 08:12 AM »
Thanks for the update, KRIKzz! It looks great! Will legacy EDs get the same menu treatment? Specifically, the Everdrive MD?
I will not make update or legasy edmd and super-ed. Old super-ed and edmd was changed lot of times on hardware level, reflects of this changes was hardcoded in OS. Would be pretty hard to make new OS which supports old carts.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 09:47 PM »
OS v7 does not have sorting at all

Gotcha

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2013, 08:04 AM »
I'm curious... after updating to OS7 beta, how is it possible to update the OS ever again? The "Update OS" option is gone in OS 7 beta. The OS doesn't seem to live on the SD card anywhere, either. Does that mean EVERYONE will have to mail their SMS Everdrives to Krikzz to update the OS?

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2013, 11:04 AM »
I'm curious... after updating to OS7 beta, how is it possible to update the OS ever again? The "Update OS" option is gone in OS 7 beta. The OS doesn't seem to live on the SD card anywhere, either. Does that mean EVERYONE will have to mail their SMS Everdrives to Krikzz to update the OS?

Reserve OS is still there but it only supports FAT16 so ... well .... you need another SD (or reformat back to FAT16) to reflash based on reserve OS.
I hope KrikZZ has a way to share a reserve OS that can be flashed via JTAG directly on the MAX-II, I really don't like to have to remember to go back to FAT16 say 6-8 months from now when a botched updated may happen, might as well have a reserve SO that is v7 or better.
In my case the reserve OS is v4, a little old but given officially there was only v5 after that not too bad either.

He'll come up with something, he always does.

This last 6 months have been very good for older ED models, they got quite some love ;-)

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2013, 10:23 PM »
WTF is reserve OS? What does one do to access it? Just put the next update on a FAT-16 card, put the card in the system and then what? I get a FAT-16 NOT SUPPORT USE FAT-32" message if I put a Fat-16 card in. I don't have any cards with any other OS's on them. Not sure why Krikzz can't just include a "UPDATE OS" function in the current OS. I don't know why the firmware would need to be updated to do this.

Krikzz will have to give VERY specific instructions on how to update the OS from here.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 10:32 PM by Redifer »

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2013, 10:57 PM »
WTF is reserve OS?

Turn on SMS with MasterED inserted while pressing buttons I + II + up (or down) on controller 1, the Reserve OS would come up. It says right on the bottom of the screen (reserve OS).
Depending on when your Master ED was manufactured you'll have a different version of it, in my case my Reserve OS is v4.

The Reserve OS is not flashable by common means, but I was hoping to get a JTAGgable version of the OS to flash it in the card via Altera Blaster.

And I believe KRIKzz would fix this minor oversight in the next release, unless the OS v7 could already recognize another OS in the file and just flash it automatically without need of an explicit option in the menu.

Offline keropi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 06:40 PM »
in all honesty, I don't why it's to important that the reserve OS needs to be updated as well. It is supposed to be there to help in case the main OS bricks the cart, you just fall back to it with a FAT16 sd and flash the main OS... it's not like a HUGE bother to format a fat16 sd to unbrick your card...  ??? ;D ;D

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2013, 07:44 PM »
OS v7 can install old OS files, just need to change file resolution to .mso and select file like the game

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2013, 10:32 PM »
OK good to know, thanks!

Offline ewok

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 10:26 PM »
Hi,

I upgraded to OS v7-beta on sms 1 with fat32 card. The upgrade went well, however I can not play any games anymore. When I load a game the system get stuk on WRITE. (one period) When I try to downgrade using a fat32 SD card to OS5 I get the message: 0xFB error

I can no use the card anymore? Please help.

Ewok

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 07:53 AM »
try to use another sd card. error 0xFB means that sd card formatted in fat16.
However you can load reserve OS and install old verion of os. I can't remember joypad combination for call reserve OS, it must be something like 1+2+ some direction on joypad, you should push it at startup

Offline ewok

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 09:42 PM »
Hi Krikkz,

I tried to upgrade via Other-OS and this time it worked fine. Thanks.

BTW: I had to push right on the gamepad while holding buttons I and II.

Ewok