Author Topic: My FPGA nes with EDN8  (Read 31258 times)

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: My FPGA nes with EDN8
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 04:41 PM »
But you've done many other things that were not easy to make :)
I impatient a bit, when i should REcreate something, i prefer create (without RE) (:

Offline ewok

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 08:01 PM »
Write me down for the first batch!!!! Great work!

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 09:09 PM »
You should make an N64, with HDMI (or similar) output, save state support, and the ability to over-clock the CPU (and GPU?) from software, for games that would benefit from over-clocking!

That would be fanastic! Maybe impossible, I don't know, but if it's possible then you should make it  ;)

Offline DarkLink

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 01:23 AM »
Cwap... Did you just make my 6 NESie Obsolete?  :'(

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 06:27 PM »
You should make an N64, with HDMI (or similar) output, save state support, and the ability to over-clock the CPU (and GPU?) from software, for games that would benefit from over-clocking!

That would be fanastic! Maybe impossible, I don't know, but if it's possible then you should make it  ;)

Overclocking from software is impossible, clock speed is generated by a crystal oscillation hardware circuit on the pcb.  The hdmi thing should be quite doable viletim already came up with a cpld dac for the n64, again that would have to be soldered in.

I really hope krikzz finds the time to fix the savestates of the n8 so it loads graphics properly, I know it's doable, the savestate mappers for the nes powerpak don't have this issue.  Maybe krikzz / kalle can share knowledge for this one.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 06:30 PM by Drakon »

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 05:12 AM »
I'm pretty sure he meant the ability to adjust the clock rate through software, which is completely feasible in a FPGA based console.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 09:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure he meant the ability to adjust the clock rate through software, which is completely feasible in a FPGA based console.

Yes, that's what I meant, so the Everdrive 64 (either built in to the new N64 console, or a separate, real ED64 plugged into the new N64) can have some games flagged so that on running them the new N64 runs at an overclocked speed, so that the N64 only activates the overclocking for games that benefit from it.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 06:51 AM »

Yes, that's what I meant, so the Everdrive 64 (either built in to the new N64 console, or a separate, real ED64 plugged into the new N64) can have some games flagged so that on running them the new N64 runs at an overclocked speed, so that the N64 only activates the overclocking for games that benefit from it.

FPGA N64? You must be joking (: Why not make FPGA Core i8 cpu at once, and beat the intel. You very overestimate abilities of poor engineer from Ukraine (:
People still can not make stable software emulator of n64, as far as i know, cuz nobody know details about hardware level of n64. NES is pretty well documented, but still damn hard to make accurate FPGA implementation, N64 is completely unreal

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 04:56 AM »

Oh okay sorry got confused.

FPGA N64? You must be joking (: Why not make FPGA Core i8 cpu at once, and beat the intel. You very overestimate abilities of poor engineer from Ukraine (:
People still can not make stable software emulator of n64, as far as i know, cuz nobody know details about hardware level of n64. NES is pretty well documented, but still damn hard to make accurate FPGA implementation, N64 is completely unreal

Project "unreality"

Offline cyBORG

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 03:26 PM »
Who knows.
By the way, may be i will use fpga nes code to run nes games on mega-ed and ed64, if will be possible

Yes, yes, yes!  Would love to see this on Mega-ED.   8)

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 10:26 PM »

Sorry! I thought you'd just* removed the chips from a NES and put them in that FPGA, maybe wrote a bit of code, and that was how you made a NES clone, so I assumed making an N64 clone would be similar. Unfortunately, my knowledge of these matters is zero (as you just might have guessed  :(), so sorry for making an unrealistic suggestion (I didn't really hope you would make an N64 clone anyway, as I know you're very busy with your current projects). It is great that you answer us on your forums, though, and we are grateful for that, e-mail and forums are brilliant for contacting people about things they have made, though sadly most commercial games developers aren't so open with their fans.

BTW, regarding the N64 being not completely understood, apparently that's true for the original XBox too. Lots of people (myself included) though the XBox would be the easiest (and so probably the first) of it's generation to be emulated, because the XBox is mostly a PC, but that's turned out not to be the case.  I suppose as consoles get more complicated, the emulators needed to emulate them perfectly get exponentially more complicated?

* When I say "just", I certainly don't mean to sound dismissive of the skill involved, of course (if that't the way it seems from my post), I mean that I didn't know you'd have to apply much real programming to the FPGA, I though the stages to making a console from an FPGA were mainly hardware based.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:28 PM by Kerr Avon »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 02:16 PM »
Small update.
Custom board, and now with sound.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9zgFNkA1sU

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 02:25 PM »
Small update.
Custom board, and now with sound.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9zgFNkA1sU
wow, very very nice :) you are brilliant
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 09:50 PM »
That was neat KRIKzz. I think that's the first video where you have spoken. I liked your pronunciation on the game titles.  :)

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 10:14 PM »
That was neat KRIKzz. I think that's the first video where you have spoken. I liked your pronunciation on the game titles.  :)
Yeah, usually i prefer to keep my mouth closed (: