Author Topic: Everdrive 64 Compatibility  (Read 264404 times)

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
Re: Everdrive 64 Compatibility
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 05:59 AM »
Dumb question incoming;
Is it possible to solder on this "battery" onto the ED64 to make those games work, sort of like the CIC chip & USB port or is this a whole other story?
no, the board wasnt designed that way
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline kmksoulja

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 08:21 AM »
yeah it sucks but its the only game that supports the real time clock and it was only released in japan so krikzz probably didn't see a need for  going through the trouble of adding it on there just to support 1 game.

An N64 emulator is probably the only way your ever gonna get to play that translated rom.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 08:52 AM by kmksoulja »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 04:58 PM »
Has anyone got animal forest working yet? When I try to get past the start screen, it freezes. I'm more interested now because I have an english patch working.
It shouldn't freeze that early. First you'll get an error that the battery has run dry and will be prompted to set the clock. Then you can make a character/town and play the game for as long as you want as long as you don't save. It froze for me when I tried to save and quit.

Dumb question incoming;
Is it possible to solder on this "battery" onto the ED64 to make those games work, sort of like the CIC chip & USB port or is this a whole other story?
I can't say for sure but I THINK it's technically possible. But I have no idea if all that extra hardware would fit into the cartridge, and Krikzz would probably have to release an update that supports it.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 06:14 PM »
Has anyone got animal forest working yet? When I try to get past the start screen, it freezes. I'm more interested now because I have an english patch working.
It shouldn't freeze that early. First you'll get an error that the battery has run dry and will be prompted to set the clock. Then you can make a character/town and play the game for as long as you want as long as you don't save. It froze for me when I tried to save and quit.
the translation freezes for me too when im prompted to set the time, but the clean japan version does not, my guess is that the translation version is some sort of texture hack (within the time set screen) im pretty sure ED64 does not support texture hacked roms..

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 01:25 PM »
As long as a hack is made within the technical limitations of the N64 there's no reason it wouldn't work on the ED64.

The reason the old Sin and Punishment translation doesn't work on ED64 is because the patch comes in the form of a plugin that was designed for certain emulators and thus only works for those emulators. The official English VC version works in a similar way but that patch only works in the VC N64 emulator.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2013, 04:23 PM »
Regarding Animal Forest, how often does the game check the clock to find out the time? If it's only when the game is first booted, then the game could be hacked to not look for the clock at all, but to ask the player to enter the time. If it checks the clock multiple times during gameplay, then this would be more complicated (as the game would have to be altered so that it  keeps track of the time itself by using the N64's (or the emulator's) progress in frames or VIs or whatever, and the game would therefore need to be hacked to change the clock-reading routines to the hardware-reading and time calculations needed to work out the time elapsed since the player entered the time manually) but as far as I can see, it should be possible for someone who knows N64 coding.

As long as a hack is made within the technical limitations of the N64 there's no reason it wouldn't work on the ED64.

The reason the old Sin and Punishment translation doesn't work on ED64 is because the patch comes in the form of a plugin that was designed for certain emulators and thus only works for those emulators. The official English VC version works in a similar way but that patch only works in the VC N64 emulator.

The hack at

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=909.0

does work on both console and emulator though.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 12:00 AM »
Since you can play the game on the ED64 without problems, it probably only checks when booting, and maybe when you save. When the power is on it might be using the CPU clock to keep track of time but I don't know.

The hack at

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=909.0

does work on both console and emulator though.
Yup! That's what I call the new patch.

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 05:43 PM »
were i can find all the cracks in the first page? thanks!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 07:48 PM »
I don't know about the standalone cracks but if you have the Goodset roms some of the patches are included there.

I have not tried any of these patches but this is what other people said should work:
For Jet Force Gemini look for roms named "Jet Force Gemini (E) (M4) [f1].z64" or "Jet Force Gemini (U) [f1].z64".
And for Donkey Kong 64 look for "Donkey Kong 64 (U) [f2].z64". This patch includes both the boot crack and the SRAM hack (which changes save type to SRAM). so remember to force SRAM before booting.

The Banjo Tooie patch can be found at http://www.64scener.com/ but Krikzz included it in ED64 OS and it's applied automatically so you don't really need it.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 08:32 PM »
Jet Force Gemini (E) (M4) [f1].z64 does not work but Jet Force Gemini (U) [f1].z64 does :)

Offline pcfreak324

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2014, 11:09 PM »
Jet Force Gemini (E) (M4) [f1] works, see it for yourself.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2014, 03:10 PM »
dvd2vcd since you have tested these do you know if you need to force another save type other than the default one on any of these games except Donkey Kong 64?

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2014, 04:09 PM »
i remember that some cracked games forced another save type. i cant remember if any cracks had option for saving to original save type if present or force save type if not present with a simple button menu present within the intro (like pal/ntsc selection on some ps1 patch intros).
 it was so long ago that i played some of these games on my doctor v64 copier i'm not sure if this feature was present in some cracks at the time or if i thought this feature would be cool back then but never happend.
 it would be cool in this day in age given the fact that everdrive64 can save all game data types to sd card if some of these cracks could be revisited to bypass game protection but leave save type as the original. goes to show lac is still somewhat interested in whats happening in the n64 world these days because he decided to finally finish and release his banjo tooie crack.
 top and bottom of it... forcing save types was awesome back in the day but but totally not needed for everdrive.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2014, 11:49 PM »
It is needed if the ED64 doesn't detect what save type the game is using (or however the default type is decided). I've played several games that didn't save with the default option. Try Akumajou Dracula Mokushiroku and the default save type is "none" even though it's supposed to have cartridge backup saving.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2014, 03:50 AM »
It is needed if the ED64 doesn't detect what save type the game is using (or however the default type is decided). I've played several games that didn't save with the default option. Try Akumajou Dracula Mokushiroku and the default save type is "none" even though it's supposed to have cartridge backup saving.

thats not what i ment. i just read back through my post and i was not very clear so i apolagize for that. i didn't mean everdrive force save type option was not needed. that option is actually really useful for the reason you mentioned.
 what i ment was some cracks force for example save type from flash ram to sram. mainly because back in the day when flashram was a new save type for n64 games it was a pain for copier owners. saving to sram instead of flashram had it's drawbacks though for example only being able to use one save slot but at least the game was playable and could be saved.    what i ment was because everdrive64 can cope with all save types because everdrive don't need the correct save chip present with a piggy backed original game like the copiers did, the need for some of the old cracks to change the save type aswell as bypass protection is not needed. maybe the cracks could be revisited/modified to leave the saving part the same as the original game.
 guess it depends on if anyone with the knowhow could modify the old cracks, although the games are fully playable anyways.