Author Topic: Everdrive 64 Compatibility  (Read 269040 times)

Online fabio_rosendo

• View Profile
Re: Everdrive 64 Compatibility
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2014, 12:21 AM »
I have noticed the new Everdrive 2.04 OS, don't have an option to change the Save Type anymore.
Puyo Puyo Sun 64 shows "Save Type OFF" and i can't change.
This game don't works in this new OS, but works on OS 1.29 changing the Save Type.  :'(

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2014, 12:51 AM »
Select your game and pick "select only" and then press Z and the main menu appears. Choose the save type in the main menu and start the game.

Online fabio_rosendo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Select your game and pick "select only" and then press Z and the main menu appears. Choose the save type in the main menu and start the game.
I tried this in every option available, but still don't work.
So............. Puyo Puyo Sun 64 enters in the list of non compatible Everdrive 64 game.  :-\

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 03:14 AM »
You should do it in sequence like nuu said. You probably select save type in optyons and after that you select the game. options resets when you select the game

Offline Mezmorize

• View Profile
    • Classic Video Game hacking
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2014, 03:02 AM »
I tried all of the save types, and still could not get Puyo Puyo Sun 64 (J) to boot up.
I was doing it this way:

1. Highlight game and choose Select Only.
2. Using the Z button, change the save type to whatever.
3. Start the game using the usual option Select and Start.

The problem was using Select and Start to boot the game.
Use the Start button on the controller instead, to properly boot it.

Use EEP4K to boot Puyo Puyo Sun 64 (J).
Use SRAM or SRAM128 to boot Jinsei Game 64 (J).

Even after trying this method, there is one single game I'm not able to boot.
Could someone else confirm this?
BattleTanx (U) [Expansion Pak incompatibility?]

-----
Edit:
Here's some ROM names to play these European releases on a NTSC console.
Airboarder 64 (E) [f1] (NTSC)
Centre Court Tennis (E) [f1] (NTSC) [aka Let's Smash (J)]
F-1 World Grand Prix II (E) (M4) [f1] (NTSC) [Change Game Mode setting from Default to NTSC.]
Premier Manager 64 (E) [f2] (NTSC100%) [Full color, but not properly aligned on my TV.]
Rakuga Kids (E) [f1] (NTSC)
Taz Express (E) (M6) [f2] (NTSC) [Full color, but not properly aligned on my TV.]
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 04:03 AM by Mezmorize »

Online fabio_rosendo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2014, 05:56 PM »
Thanks Mezmorize.  ;)
Now Puyo Puyo Sun 64 is working.
You right BattleTanx (U) dont´t works anymore, but works on old OS 1.29.
Don't worry, KRIKzz is the King of Everdrive, and probably in the next update this game will work again.  8)

Online fabio_rosendo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2014, 09:49 PM »
I just tested "BattleTanx (U) [t1].z64", and works on Everdrive with the OS 2.04.
Is a hacked version of BattleTanx, but works.  :)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2014, 11:52 PM »
The problem was using Select and Start to boot the game.
Use the Start button on the controller instead, to properly boot it.
Oh that's what I was doing wrong! I should give Dezaemon 3D another shot, I'll test Battle Tanx too.

Offline cheaterdragon1

• View Profile
    • Micro-64
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2014, 05:58 AM »
Donkey Kong 64
Because of lockout chip but works with crack. Even with a crack that lets it boot, it randomly looses the save file after one or two hours of play. So it might need a hack for saving as well.
Just want to clarify what I know. When DK 64 was released in 1999, the N64 copying scene ran into the same saving issues that we face now. With or without a patch, DK64 will boot and you can play through it. The only issue is of course with saving. DK64 saves with 16KB Eeprom and the cracks that the N64scene made changed the default saving method to SRAM. That's why when you run a cracked version you need to switch the save method in the Everdrive menu from the default 16KB Eeprom to SRAM. Although I haven't played the cracked version from beginning to end, I haven't read about anyone having any trouble with it. With the cracks being out for 15 years, I'm sure someone would've said something by now if they didn't work. This user here claims to have made it to level 5 with the cracked version: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=725.0

As you've seen in the other thread, I'm currently playing through DK64 on a clean ROM which is working so far. Krikzz said that OS 2.04 might make DK64 work better, which it does, but it's still not perfect. I'm sure it's going to eventually screw up. Hopefully when I share the save file with Krikzz he might be able to come with something to allow a normal ROM to work. As is, the patched version works just fine and gamers can use that one for now.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 06:06 AM by cheaterdragon1 »

We now have a Facebook group for all N64 fans!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2014, 03:59 PM »
With or without a patch, DK64 will boot and you can play through it. The only issue is of course with saving.
As you've seen in the other thread, I'm currently playing through DK64 on a clean ROM which is working so far. Krikzz said that OS 2.04 might make DK64 work better, which it does, but it's still not perfect.
Do you mean that in OS 2.04, DK64 is patched on-the-fly with a boot crack so it doesn't need the boot crack anymore, or do you mean that it never needed one in the first place? I'll update the list accordingly.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2014, 04:06 PM »
As you've seen in the other thread, I'm currently playing through DK64 on a clean ROM which is working so far.

Tux's save became corrupted, so please backup your save every time you update it, in case it corrupts, as if you have a backup then you can restart from there, and also send it to Krikzz to help him locate the source of the problem.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2014, 07:14 PM »
wanted to play some battletanx today and also discovered it wernt working. i'm going to download the BattleTanx (U) [t1].z64 version. does anyone know whats been hacked in this version?
 i wonder why the hacked version works and the original, guess it's something krikzz will fix for next update. does anyone know if there are any other games that should be working that don't since the new OS? if so i may run the old OS until compatibility issues are solved.

edit - just tried the BattleTanx (U) [t1].z64 version and it works fine, seems it's just a +6 trainer intro thats different (that would explain the [t1] doh) seems strange that the trained version works and the unmodified one don't though.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 07:58 PM by butfluffy »

Offline cheaterdragon1

• View Profile
    • Micro-64
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2014, 11:02 PM »
With or without a patch, DK64 will boot and you can play through it. The only issue is of course with saving.
As you've seen in the other thread, I'm currently playing through DK64 on a clean ROM which is working so far. Krikzz said that OS 2.04 might make DK64 work better, which it does, but it's still not perfect.
Do you mean that in OS 2.04, DK64 is patched on-the-fly with a boot crack so it doesn't need the boot crack anymore, or do you mean that it never needed one in the first place? I'll update the list accordingly.
I believe it never needed a boot crack to work with the Everdrive in the first place.

We now have a Facebook group for all N64 fans!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2014, 02:33 PM »
OK I updated the incompatibility list with this information. I also added some more details like what goodroms are pre-patched.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2014, 10:18 PM »
It's a great idea to have an incompatibility list, and it might be an idea if you divided the list into two parts - one part for games that will run but only under special circumstances (i.e. Jet Force Gemini would be in this list, with the note that only the versions with the file names "Jet Force Gemini (E) (M4) [f1].z64" or "Jet Force Gemini (U) [f1].z64" work on the Everdrive 64, the other versions either crash upon loading, or don't let you run or jump), and one part of the list for games that at the moment cannot be run on the Everdrive 64 under any circumstances (such as Doubutsu no Mori). The 'Doesn't (yet) work" category should ideally contain an entry saying that "At present no Super Mario 64 hack will work on the N64, though a user called Vertrex claims to have fixed this (http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1253.0), and so hopefully soon we'll be able to play the SM64 hacks on the Everdrive 64".

OK I updated the incompatibility list with this information. I also added some more details like what goodroms are pre-patched.

Has anyone confirmed that any given version of Donkey Kong 64 can be played from beginning to end with saving via the Everdrive 64? If so, what region was that, please, in case only the (E)urope or (U)SA version works without wiping the save. And is there a way to force the Everdrive 64 to always force SRAM when using Donkey Kong 64 (I can't find an .ini or .cfg file on the ED64's SD card, which is a pity as a user alterable text file would be great for things like this)?