Author Topic: Everdrive N8 diagnostics  (Read 5092 times)

Offline netbeui

• View Profile
Everdrive N8 diagnostics
« on: July 31, 2014, 08:16 AM »
I have a frontloader and I can't figure out how to run the diagnostics on it. The instructions on this forum say you're supposed to turn the NES on without a SD card and then put a card in and press A+B+Start+Select.

I can't remove the SD card without pressing the cartridge down in my frontloader which springs it up. But you can't run carts unless they're in the down position. And when my N8 is in the down position the SD card slot is not accessible as its blocked by the body of the NES.

Is the diagnostic mode only intended for top loaders? Or am I supposed to be doing something differently to run diagnostics on my frontloader?

PS - there's absolutely nothing wrong with my N8, I just want to see the diagnostics out of curiosity  :)

Offline kranibal

• View Profile
Re: Everdrive N8 diagnostics
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 02:43 PM »
As far as I know, if you insert your Everdrive cartridge without the SD card, you should be able to run the diagnostic by pressing the Select, Start, B and A buttons simultaneously. Only SPI test should return an error (40).

Or you can make the entire diagnostic PASS by initially inserting an empty SD card (no EDFC folder/files) .

Offline netbeui

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 04:59 PM »
Hmmm that didn't work  :(

If I start my NES without a SD card I get an error 40 "SD Card Initialization Error", and then nothing happens when I press Select+Start+A+B

If I start my NES with a SD card that doesn't contain the N8 system files I get an error 10 "System Files Not Found", and nothing happens when I press Select+Start+A+B

In both cases nothing happens when I try to initiate the diagnostics. I tried pressing the keys on my controller in a different order; A+B+Start+Select and Select+Start+B+A but no luck. I also ran the cart to check NES hardware which includes a controller test and all my buttons are working perfectly. I'm stumped, any other ideas?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 05:30 PM »
May be you have early version of cart, they does not have built-in diagnostic. self test should run even without SD card (but SPI test will not be passed)

Offline netbeui

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 07:50 PM »
Thanks Krikzz. My device info says:

OS ver: 9
Bios ver: 4
Cpld ver: 1
Adate: 04.05.13
Atime: 11:39

I ordered my N8 from the retrogate store on May 1, 2013. If I have a version that doesn't have built in diagnostics is there some other way to run diagnostics on my cart?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 08:08 PM »
Unfortunately there is no way to run diagnostic on your cart

Offline netbeui

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 08:26 PM »
No worries, thanks for the quick reply Krikzz. Love your work and a huge thanks to you for everything you do! :)