Author Topic: A few Mega Everdrive Questions...  (Read 9394 times)

Offline Mad Hatter

• View Profile
A few Mega Everdrive Questions...
« on: September 14, 2014, 01:37 AM »
Hi,

I got a Mega Everdrive a couple of weeks ago and got it hooked up and working. I just have a few questions.

1) If I use a Euro rom on my USA console, will the game play at 50 FPS or 60 FPS? I am asking this, because when I used a Sega Emulator, the Euro Roms would play at 50 FPS while the US roms would play at 60 FPS. I am curious if it is the same thing on the actual hardware when using this flash cart.

2) Should I be concerned with using an Everdrive for long periods of time?

This was pretty expensive (for me at least). So I want to make sure I am taking care of it. My Genesis Cartridge slot was cleaned. The first thing I did when I got the Everdrive was put it inside the Genesis. Then I loaded everything on the SD Card. I got it set up, so I don't plan on removing the SD card for a while. And I plan on keeping the Everdrive in there unless I happen to play a game that is not supported by the Everdrive.

My only concern is using the Everdrive too much? Right now, I usually only play between 1-2 hours. And I noticed the ED cartridge got warmer compared to a regular Genesis game cartridge. Should I be concerned if I go for a long time on the Everdrive (like 4+ hours)?

3) Sometimes, the ordering of the files areoff when I am using numbers. For a certain series of games, I will use numbers (1,2,3,4). However, sometimes it will be off and be (4,3,2,1). The file names for the series are exactly the same except for the number. Is there a way I can fix this? If not, it's not a big deal, but I was just curious.
Mega EverDrive x7, EverDrive-GB X7, SD2SNES Original, EZ Flash IV, R4i-SDHC

Offline J-E

• View Profile
Re: A few Mega Everdrive Questions...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 08:24 AM »
Hello!

1) if you use a Euro rom on your Genesis, it will work in 60 Hz (and not FPS...). Naturally, if you use a Protected EUR Roms, (like all the European megadrive games with the blue box), it will not boot, and if you use a designed 50 Hz games, it will be strange on your screen. As far as as know, it will be the same with a Everdrive, except that you will be able to run protected europeans roms (for example: you will not be able to run the real european version of Mega Turrican, but the european roms will start with your everdrive)

2) I don't know...

3) I don't know , I have also the same problem, but hnestly I don't care about this, my everdrice MD works with the games I loaded and it is enough for me.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 11:51 AM »
2) no problems with using for long period of time
3) os use only first 4 symbols for sorting

Offline Assman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 01:02 AM »
3) I use a program called DriveSort which can sort by the long names of files and write them on the drive in that order. It definitely makes less of a mess out of my Sonic-hack folder. Just make you click "save" after you sort the drive or nothing will happen.

Offline Mad Hatter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 01:30 AM »
Hello!

1) if you use a Euro rom on your Genesis, it will work in 60 Hz (and not FPS...). Naturally, if you use a Protected EUR Roms, (like all the European megadrive games with the blue box), it will not boot, and if you use a designed 50 Hz games, it will be strange on your screen. As far as as know, it will be the same with a Everdrive, except that you will be able to run protected europeans roms (for example: you will not be able to run the real european version of Mega Turrican, but the european roms will start with your everdrive)

2) I don't know...

3) I don't know , I have also the same problem, but hnestly I don't care about this, my everdrice MD works with the games I loaded and it is enough for me.
Thanks For the great information. Just wanted to make sure I was getting the max out of my system. I was thinking of re-downloading some of the Euro roms and get the US version, but don't think it's necessary now as long as the roms work.

2) no problems with using for long period of time
3) os use only first 4 symbols for sorting
Thanks man. That's helpful to know.

3) I use a program called DriveSort which can sort by the long names of files and write them on the drive in that order. It definitely makes less of a mess out of my Sonic-hack folder. Just make you click "save" after you sort the drive or nothing will happen.
Thanks.

I got a file renamer program as well. If load more games (I don't even have a 100 right now), I might start putting a 3 to 4 digit number in front of the name. But I don't think it's necessary right now

Offline Mad Hatter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 01:02 PM »
I have a few other questions.

1) Is using a .bin or .gen better than one or the other? Different roms are different file types. I am not sure which one is better on a flash cart/everdrive

2) What are the consequences of using roms with bad checksums (don't really know what this means tbh). But when I download roms or romsets, sometimes the best ones are the ones with a known bad checksum [c]. But they still have the [!] that means it is proven to work.

Offline alexander3d

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 02:51 PM »
2) I used it for a couple (4-5) of hours on Saturday: no issues whatsoever ;)

3) I use DriveSort too. Very much recommend it.

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 07:46 PM »
Im not the most familar with genesis formats but id imagine .bin is big endian vs .gen which might be little endian so .bin in theory would be better. But idk if it truely matters cause the functionability would be the same (.md even works so no intro is fine as well). As for roms with bad checksums, if they load i suppose there wouldnt be a problem (the newest os on the ED64 can bypass bad checksums which is good for hacking a game, you dont have to fix checksums after every change). Im not a pro by any means (hopefully someone like Chilly can chime in), but a checksum is part of the rom that is used as a error detection for data integrity. Is some of that info is invalid, the game generally wont start. Rule of thumb, if you have a rom that has errors or doesnt work, find another from a different romset (no intro, goodset, ect.).
As for the playing the MED for a long time, ive never had a problem and ive played on it hours at a time. Their is a video on Krikzz's youtube page of him desoldering using a stove. If an oem game or everdrive can withstand that type of treatment then playing it for hours wouldnt do a thing :D.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 07:54 PM by Paulweeze »
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline Stealth

• View Profile
    • Headcannon
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 04:34 AM »
By standard, .gen is supposed to be a raw binary with a different file name (the same thing as .bin, but identifying it as a Genesis game), but what you really have to look out for is when the file name doesn't match the actual format. The different formats come from different backup units- Super Magic Drive used the .smd extension, while Multi Game Doctor would use either .md or .mgd. When dumping large games to floppy disc, they would be split into smaller parts using the extensions .1, .2, etc

Raw binary images are headerless copies of what's stored on the cartridge from start to finish, in order. The Super Magic Drive and Multi Game Doctor output their copies in two different formats where the even and odd BYTEs were de-interleaved (even BYTES grouped together, odd BYTES grouped together, instead of even,odd,even,odd,etc). The Super Magic drive also added its own header to the file(s) it generated. Some people don't know this and try just changing the file extension to .bin, .gen, or whatever, which can appear to "work" if the utility or emulator is made to detect the format based on the data instead of the file extension. I once had a know-it-all post a comment on a video about one of my utilities that included "Super Magic Drive (*.SMD)" on the file filter drop-down menu screaming about me for being "too stupid" because "obviously" "SMD" stands for "Sega Mega Drive", and attempting to correct them only brought on more of the same, so, it's something to keep in mind

As for running the Mega Everdrive for long periods of time, I got mine just over two weeks ago and because I do a lot of testing for my projects, I've had it running for around 12 hours a day, every day since. No problems so far on Genesis model 1 with SegaCD model 2 and 32X

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 05:06 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up in a very user friendly way Stealth :)!

Offline Mad Hatter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 06:15 AM »
I'm a noob, so I didn't really understand that too well lol.

So basically, .gen is the same as .bin, but some people rather use .gen so they can identify that it is a genesis game and not get them mixed up with other .bin files?

Thanks for the .smd, .md, .mgd tip. I usually download from a site with reputable uploaders, so I don't think I will have to worry about them giving me those file types and just renaming it to a .bin or .gen.

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 07:07 AM »
So basically, .gen is the same as .bin, but some people rather use .gen so they can identify that it is a genesis game and not get them mixed up with other .bin files? 
Exactly. I can vouch and say that the everdrive seems to just read the data within the rom (either be big endian or little endian naturally) and not worry about the actual file extension name. I have .n64 .v64 .z64 and .rom on my everdrive and all seem to work as they should.

Offline Mad Hatter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 08:40 AM »
Few more questions (been doing some more fiddling around). Nothing series, just my curious self being picky as always :) .

1) I tried to make sense out of the "Mapper" setting in the manual. From my standpoint, it seems like a developer tool, and I shouldn't worry about what it is set to? I just keep it on MD.

2) Is there a way I can not show the name of my SD Drive in the Everdrive menu? My SD Card name is "Sega ED". And it shows that along with "DIR" on the next column of the ED menu, and when I select it and says "FAT 103 error". Nothing serious whatsoever. Just being really picky here.

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 08:43 AM »
Yea the mapper should set automatically depending on what you are playing (genesis, sms, 32x, ect.). As for the sd card thing, ive never noticed anything but folder names in the menu so I cant answer that.