Author Topic: Dreamcast VGA to HDMI converter?  (Read 6047 times)

Offline gladders

• View Profile
Dreamcast VGA to HDMI converter?
« on: January 08, 2015, 03:25 PM »
What ho gamer types,

I have a Dreamcast, and a VGA box, but for some reason my TV can't see the signal through the VGA port. So I thought using the HDMI would be better.

Can anyone recommend a good value one? I'm not made of money so if anyone's found one that was surprisingly effective for the price, I'd be most grateful :)

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
Re: Dreamcast VGA to HDMI converter?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 04:38 PM »
Have you tried the box on a VGA monitor?
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkprinny

Offline gladders

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 04:54 PM »

All I have is my laptop I'm afraid.

Offline brooksyx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 05:16 PM »

Thats what I was wondering as well. Might be worth trying to rule out that the thing actually works.

Also, have you tried multiple games? I know some games don't worth with VGA.
NES - EDN8 | SNES - Super ED | Genesis ED-MD | Gameboy - EDGB | N64  - ED64 | Game Geear - Everdrive GG | GBA - EZ-Flash IV| Gamecube - XenoGC & EZ Flash IV | NDSL - R4 wood & EZ Flash 3in1

Offline gladders

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 05:20 PM »
Just booting with no disc doesn't show an image.

I'll try to find a VGA monitor and give it a go :)

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 06:05 PM »
Also, have you tried multiple games? I know some games don't worth with VGA.
Fair point. Just dropping a link for reference: http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?56169-Dreamcast-VGA-Compatability-list-amp-Guide
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline Assman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 11:41 PM »
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011404&p_id=4629&seq=1&format=2

I bought one of these, or something very similar to it, a few years ago. It works like a charm.

Keep in mind that this won't upscale, but 480p through HDMI shouldn't be an issue. I had the same problem on my TV; it has a VGA port, but it doesn't recognize the DC's VGA signal. Converted to HDMI, it's totally fine.

Offline KalessinDB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 08:08 AM »
Hmmm... I know one can do an internal VGA mod to the DC, though it's a tight fit.  I wonder if I could manage to cram an internal VGA mod with an internal HDMI converter as well in my DC that I removed the drive for GDEMU ;)
Attempting a complete NTSC-U NES set.  Sell me your games!
What I've Got.  253/677 licensed games, 39/95 unlicensed games (drawing # from NA's "semi-official" list

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 09:02 AM »
With the GD-ROM out of the way leaves a decent amount of room in there. For the VGA Mod, you can fit all of the components on a relatively small proto board (or a premade PCB, if you know where to look.

You could also use the DC modem to stuff components in it as well.

Offline gladders

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 01:56 AM »
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011404&p_id=4629&seq=1&format=2

I bought one of these, or something very similar to it, a few years ago. It works like a charm.

Keep in mind that this won't upscale, but 480p through HDMI shouldn't be an issue. I had the same problem on my TV; it has a VGA port, but it doesn't recognize the DC's VGA signal. Converted to HDMI, it's totally fine.

So when you say it won't upscale, do you mean that it shows no improvement to the image as you would see between RGB and VGA? Or that it will show VGA's improved image, but never HDMI quality?

Offline Assman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 12:03 AM »
I mean it won't upscale as in whatever the resolution is going in, it'll be the same coming out. The DC puts out 480p through VGA, so that's what you'll get out of the converter (not 720/1080/whatever). The image shouldn't look any different than if you hooked up the DC straight through VGA. This would only be a problem if your TV didn't accept 480p through HDMI, which is unlikely.

The only reason there's an improvement between RGB and VGA on the DC is that SCART doesn't support anything higher than 480i. Technically, though, VGA is RGB (RGBHV), and HDMI is either digital RGBHV or digital component. You'll never get true HD out of a DC regardless of whether the signal gets upscaled externally by some converter or internally by your TV.