Author Topic: N8 FAQs and fixes...  (Read 42362 times)

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
N8 FAQs and fixes...
« on: December 28, 2014, 08:34 PM »
Before PMing KRIKzz about repairs, check here to see what you can do on your end to remedy it.

Members, please chime in in comments, I'll build the list as suggestions come in.

Beginners Guide (merged topic)

BIOS update for older N8
Glitching issues #1
Glitching issues #2
Glitching issues #3 (Protip: check your connector on a FL NES)
Error 11

OS Init... issue (SD Card fragmentation) also THIS.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 06:22 AM by goombakid »

Offline rainwarrior

• View Profile
Re: Common problems, quick fixes...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 06:46 AM »
If CopyNES is installed on your NES, the Everdrive will not boot. There's no solution for this (other than to physically remove the CopyNES) but it would be good if it were on the list of common issues so that CopyNES users don't have to spend a lot of time trying to figure out what the problem is.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: N8 FAQs and fixes...
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 06:20 PM »
Heavy graphical glitches is most commonly caused by dirty pins on the console and/or cartridge. So first thing to try is to clean them with pure alcohol. New Everdrives probably doesn't require cleaning though.

A faulty power adapter can also cause all kinds of problems including graphical glitches. Try swapping it for a new one that is within the specs for the console.

Offline Stimpy

• View Profile
Beginners Guide: How to load games, game genie codes, ...
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 06:02 PM »
Hi there,

as there is almost no documentation on the Everdrive N8, I thought I'd share a guide of the most common questions (at least those I stumbled upon). Maybe someone can use it, or something  ;)

Picking the right SD Card
Unfortunately, the Everdrive N8 is a bit picky if it comes to SD cards. I tried about 6 until I got this thing to work.
Cards from Transcend don't seem to work well, some SanDisc are problematic as well. Your best bet is to get a bunch of SD cards and try them.
They need to be formatted in FAT (or FAT32) which you can easily do with right click -> "Format" in Windows Explorer or the "Disk Utility" in Mac (on Mac just pick "FAT", Mac will automatically choose which one works for your SD card)

Loading the operating system and ROMs
Download the OS from krikzz.com and just unzip it. Put all files and folders on the SD card, on the root level that is. And that's it for the OS. Your Everdrive N8 should work now.

However, we need ROMs. You can get them any way you want (please mind the copyright on these ROMs!) and they need to be unzipped. So unzip them to an *.nes format and put them on the SD card using Windows Explorer or Mac's Finder

Note: You can create a subfolder for your ROMs, to keep them away from the OS files. Just add a "ROM" folder on the root level of your SD card and put your ROMs and folders in there.
Note: Everdrive N8 only supports 256 files per folder, so you may need to create subfolders (A-Z, 1-99, etc.)

Resetting your CIC
If you cannot get your Everdrive N8 to boot, you may need to reset the CIC chip. You'll notice the LED on the Everdrive N8 and the LED on your Famicom / NES flashing.
In this case keep pressing "Reset" on your console several times, until the green LED on your Everdrive lights up.
Watch a video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVdCFvoYSH4

Loading a game
Start up your Famicom / NES. You can now navigate through the file structure like in Windows Explorer or Mac's Finder.
Use "B" as "Enter"
Use "A" as "Back"
"SELECT" brings up a menu
"START" reloads the last game loaded

Loading and saving game states
For every game you can make a "snapshot" for the current progress. Do this by pressing a buttom combination that you can set up for yourself:
1. Start your console
2. When the Everdrive OS is loaded, press "SELECT"
3. Pick "Options" and press B
4. Pick the options for loading and saving games
5. Follow the instructions (i.e. press the combo you want to use for loading or saving)

Within the game you can now use this button combo to quick load or save a game state. This saves the current game's memory as a snapshot, so everything is saved from lives, location in the game and even genie codes.

Note: This does not work for every game. Additionally, in some (rare) cases the memory will be corrupted when loading the save state. If you rely on save games you should check if it works first.

Using Game Genie Codes
Speaking of which: This one is tricky, as the OS has a rather non-intuitional way of handling these.

1. First, select a game (only select!) by highlighting your game in the file system, pressing "B" and choosing "select only" (and press B to confirm).
2. Then, hit "SELECT", choose "Cheat codes", press B.
3. Now you can enter the codes following the instructions, i.e. navigating with the d-pad to a space, holding B and using LEFT/RIGHT on the d-pad to enter a character
4. Make sure it says "Cheats enabled" and exit the screen with A
5. Now, only press START and it should work.

Thing is, if you would press B and pick "Select and start" after step 4, you would "reload a fresh copy" of the ROM, thus deleting your entered code. This drove me insane... ;)

How to reset a game?
By default the Everdrive N8 brings you back to the last place you've been in the file structure when pressing "Reset" on your console. This can also be changed in the settings menu ("SELECT" > pick Options) so that the game is reset instead.

How many saves can I do?
Only one, without tampering with the file system. Save one, load it again - that's it. ;)
There are ways with copying savestates from and onto the SD card, that have been discussed in this forum.

How do FDS games work?
Like NES games, no difference basically.
However, to save a game with the FDS "built in mechanics" you will have to press "Reset" on your console. Switching your console off without doing so results in your progress being gone.

Some ROMs don't look right!
Yes, this may happen and is mostly a problem with the ROM's image. I have this problem a lot with some of the "GoodNES"-ROMs (for example "Maniac Mansion [U ][!].nes" has corrupted graphics).
If everything else works - so, other ROMs and the OS is displayed without distortions - try to find a different copy of that ROM. Your Everdrive N8 is working fine, it's just the ROM image which is broken ;)

Do I need to flash the BIOS of my Everdrive N8
No, only the first batch of Everdrives needed that. Don't touch your BIOS (heh..), just enjoy the games. :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 01:33 PM by Stimpy »

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
Re: Beginners Guide: How to load games, game genie codes, ...
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 11:34 PM »
Very nice guide you have there.  I have a few suggestions :

Loading and saving game states

You should add that save states are not guaranteed to work for every game

How do FDS games work?
Like NES games, no difference basically.

You should add that you must press reset to save FDS games.

Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline Stimpy

• View Profile
Re: Beginners Guide: How to load games, game genie codes, ...
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 01:36 PM »
Thanks, I added these points. :)

Offline A2600

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 11:00 AM »
does the everdrive need the Disk System Rom in the root folder?

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 11:00 PM »
does the everdrive need the Disk System Rom in the root folder?

No
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 10:43 AM »
Updated with OS Init issue.

Offline Traveller

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 04:55 AM »
So any SD recommendations? I don't really want to have to buy a few different ones, any brand generally recommended?

Offline zansatsu0

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 09:31 PM »
So any SD recommendations? I don't really want to have to buy a few different ones, any brand generally recommended?

Despite what the guide says, the current run of "blue" SanDisk cards found at Walmart work for me. Fragmentation issues can prevent games from loading, so you may need to run a utility like Defraggler or UltraDefrag if you get hangs at "Loading...".

If it doesn't work, you can always take it back citing device incompatibility as the reason. ;)

Offline KittenGrindr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 10:36 PM »
I tried the above steps with the 'Init OS...' bug to no avail, I'm even using the exact SD card posted in the thread. Any other tips to get rid of it? I can't even use the cart with that bug.

Offline playergiro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 07:41 PM »
I found another idiosyncrasy:

The following 2 notes are provided above:
- #1 Note: You can create a subfolder for your ROMs, to keep them away from the OS files. Just add a "ROM" folder on the root level of your SD card and put your ROMs and folders in there.
- #2 Note: Everdrive N8 only supports 256 files per folder, so you may need to create subfolders (A-Z, 1-99, etc.)

#1 isn't exactly accurate. It's not just that you CAN create a folder called ROMS. You have to. If you have more than about 3-4 top-level folders, the device will not boot past "OS-Init" weird screen. This is a different limit that I haven't found anywhere. I had about 6 folders and thought the system was broken. I put these 6 under a folder called ROMS, and then the system had 2 top folders, and it booted fine. This should be stated more clearly in instructions.

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 08:48 PM »
#1 isn't exactly accurate. It's not just that you CAN create a folder called ROMS. You have to. If you have more than about 3-4 top-level folders, the device will not boot past "OS-Init" weird screen. This is a different limit that I haven't found anywhere. I had about 6 folders and thought the system was broken. I put these 6 under a folder called ROMS, and then the system had 2 top folders, and it booted fine. This should be stated more clearly in instructions.
That is not normal. Are you formatting with the Windows system formatting tool?

Offline peterpan1906

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 09:52 AM »
Hi guys,
great forum and great support. :) I've read through a few posts but could not find a solution to my issue.

I just ordered my nice looking N8 Famicom from the oficial reseller Emere (ESP) last week. I use it with my HVC 101 Toploader.

I set up everything and I was very thrilled to get going .... but then ... glitches everywhere ... not a single game without them.

In this forum I read about incompatible SD-Card. Mine is 4GB and by EIVOTOR:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B06Y423WFN

Q: Could a incompatible SD-card cause glitches?

I live in Germany and therefore I use a JAP 3rd party Power Adapter with the exact specifics as the HVC-002 (OUTPUT: DC 10V, 850mA), except INPUT (100-240V, 0,5A max) + EU-Plug-Adapter.

Q: Could this be a problem?

Thanks greatly for your support.
Peter Pan