Author Topic: Adding the USB port to Super Everdrive V2  (Read 4155 times)

Offline hkzlab

• View Profile
Adding the USB port to Super Everdrive V2
« on: February 04, 2015, 12:03 AM »
Hello Everyone!
Computers with parallel port are not so common anymore, so I decided to upgrade my SWC with a Super Everdrive 2.
I found one sold at retro-towers, but the page doesn't mention if the USB port is installed or not. I guess it isn't.

I love to do some ASM programming on my consoles, from time to time, and the USB port is very useful for that, as was the parallel port on my SWC (no need to constantly pull out/push in a storage card or floppy).

Question is, can the usb port on the Super Everdrive v2 be soldered in? I have no problems soldering fine pitch smd components, but I need to know if it is just the USB port missing, or if there is also some interface IC removed from the board. In which case, I'd like to know which chip it is and if it is custom programmed.

Anyone can help?
Thanks!

Offline hkzlab

• View Profile
Re: Adding the USB port to Super Everdrive V2
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 08:14 AM »
Gave another look at the photos online. I see what it looks like an FTDI FT232 chip on the front part of the board.
See this picture http://shop.retrogate.com/images/snesshell.jpg
Chip on the farther left. I guess this is essential to solder for USB to work  :)

Can anyone confirm the chip identity by reading the codes on it?
Thanks...

Offline Link83

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 03:57 PM »
Theres some info in KRIKzz post here:-
https://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?35238-Adding-USB-to-SuperED-and-ED64&p=529667&viewfull=1#post529667
Quote from: KRIKzz
need ft245RL ic, 2x 0.1 capacitors, 1x 100ohm resistor and few 10k resistors. 24ohm resisors on the n64 cart near to usb you can replace by jumpers
I think it may be easier to just buy one directly from retrogate with the USB option already installed? (Although its currently out of stock due to production problems, so you may need to wait a while for a restock)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 03:59 PM by Link83 »

Offline hkzlab

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 04:36 PM »
First of all, thanks for the answer!
Retrogate is my shop of choice, In fact I'm waiting a mega everdrive from there (shipped last week), but as you said, it's out of stock for now.
It would surely be easier to wait, but I'd like to try nonetheless. A few smd caps and resistors are not hard to solder (and I've seen from some pictures on the web that even boards without FTDI chips have the nearby accessory caps and resistors installed, so I might get lucky) and the ft245rl is easy to obtain and without a too fine pitch. The only problem might be the little space left as the board is pre-populated, but I'm confident I can do it.
Though, the eeprom inside the chip must be configured once installed. I expect it to have the same configuration in the mega and super ever drive, so I'll dump the configuration from one and flash it on the other once I have both on my desk.

Offline Link83

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 05:20 PM »
Glad I could help :)
Also, I think these are the type of SMD Mini USB sockets KRIKzz uses on EverDrive's:-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-5Pin-Female-Mini-B-USB-Cable-SMD-Socket-connector-/271750648969
Hope it helps!

Offline hkzlab

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 07:51 PM »
A quick update as the conclusion of this thread: a few days ago I received my Super Everdrive V2, soldered an FTDI 245RL and mini-usb port and tested the intial communications between the cart and my computer (Tested the cart by sending the "    *T" search string and received a "k")!
 ;D