Author Topic: Want to torture myself with Action 52...  (Read 6723 times)

Offline HtheB

• View Profile
Want to torture myself with Action 52...
« on: December 23, 2015, 12:35 AM »
Who doesn't want to torture himself with playing this awful game on real hardware?   ::) ;D

As you all know, it's not possible to run this game directly from the Everdrive N8.
I've searched a lot online to see how it might be possible to be able to play it.
I've seen that it should be possible to split the games into different roms.

Has anyone done/achieved this?

If so, I would love to give this a go!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 01:38 AM by HtheB »

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
Re: Want to torture myself with Action 52...
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 02:45 AM »
i was wondering this myself a while back. but in any case the last time i checked the mapper for action 52 was not supported, that was a while ago and mapper support may have been implemented since.

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 03:31 AM »
It will never be possible to support, since it'll need a board revision to support games that use over 512KB PRG/CHR. Mapper 228 can only support Cheetahmen 2 without a board revision,  since the game uses less than 512KB. So unless there's a board revision (VERY unlikely, though I still hope there will be one), Action 52 will never be supported. Why in this universe, would you want to play that garbage anyways? :)
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 04:25 PM »
i have played it on an emulator and it is a bad collection of crappy games. i just wanted to have fun with how bad it is using real hardware, the angry video game nerd episode made me more interested.
 i knew that it would require a board revision due to being oversized but i did wonder the same thing as HtheB that maybe it's possible for the action 52 rom to be split somehow into 2 roms. one would contain the first 26 games and the other the second 26.
 there are still some other pirate games which exceed the size limitation so a board revision would be welcome in the future but not so essential. the main thing for me is very good support for proper licensed games which is very good for n8.
 i know that other users are interested in unlicensed games aswell though, even though most of them are pretty awful lol. i personally like being able to put them on if i can and have a bit of a laugh with them. just like a real bad syfy made movie, some of those are so bad they are good and you end up watching them for a laugh :)

Offline HtheB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 05:25 AM »
So, with the new beta version v20, we have Mapper 228 support.
Cheetahmen II works!

Also, patched version of Cheetahman II works nice as well (recommended):
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/778/

The extracted/ripped (and slightly edited) version of Cheetahmen 1 from Action 52, gave me glitched results.
Cheetahman 1 rip: http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=151720

I still hope that someone takes up the challenge and makes the Action 52 rom playable on the N8 by ripping the rom into several roms, or each game it's own rom.
 ::)  :(  :-[

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 11:32 PM »
I've done some research on this and it seems like it is technically possible but many games don't work right when extracted. With a lot of time to fix them and split them it could be done though.

Offline HtheB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 02:36 AM »
I've done some research on this and it seems like it is technically possible but many games don't work right when extracted. With a lot of time to fix them and split them it could be done though.
That would be great!
Adding the extracted roms into a directory called Action 52.

A dream come true?  ;D

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 06:57 AM »
From a recent tweet by SmokeMonster it appears that the ROM has been split and it plays on the Everdrive. Now to find a copy of the split rom....

Offline HtheB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 10:26 PM »
From a recent tweet by SmokeMonster it appears that the ROM has been split and it plays on the Everdrive. Now to find a copy of the split rom....
Any success finding it?

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 05:21 PM »
Any success finding it?

See here : http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8099.0
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/