Author Topic: Genesis games above 512 KB don't work + Have I been swindled?  (Read 6221 times)

Offline Tincho

• View Profile
Hi everyone.

First of all, I suspect my Everdrive MD is a Chinese knockoff and not a legitimate KIKzz cart. If that's the case I don't expect support from this forum. The truth is, I thought Chinese knockoff didn't go as far as to use the Everdrive brand. I thought they were called MegaDriver or similar.

My cart has a button battery. I've been told that the original doesn't have a battery but SRAM.

My cartridge was working fine with all officially supported Genesis games. I've played Zero Tolerance a lot and also tried Road Rash and other games. But all of a sudden any 16-bit game above 512 KB stopped working - EVEN THOSE WHO i HAVE PLAYED BEFORE. They freeze at the load screen. Master System games above 512 KB (Virtua Fighter Animation, Sonic Blast, Street Fighter) work fine, though.

Strangely enough, Street Fighter II' (Master System) seem to have buttons for player 2 pressed even though there is no controller on port 2 (!).

I'm trying to use the cart on a Genesis clone (those who use the Sega Genesis brand but have the "Mega Drive" brand at the bottom label and have no metallic shield inside)

Is my EDMD a Chinese clone? Does this happen on an original Everdrive MD?

Offline jtk

• View Profile
Re: Genesis games above 512 KB don't work + Have I been swindled?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 01:40 AM »
Post a photo (front and back) of the pcb. ;)

Offline Tincho

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 05:22 PM »
I can't post attachments. The forum throws a message saying that the upload folder is full, even though both images are below 90KB and the two files don't exceed the 192 KB.

BTW I used the cart again after posting and it works fine now. I think the OS is v36 if I'm not mistaken.

Offline Troyus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 08:10 PM »
Try harder to link pics if you are really worried.
Flash carts: game gear ED, megadrive ED, SNES ED, nintendo64 ED, N8 ED, GB ED, GBA ED, PSIO

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 12:57 AM »
Try cleaning the cartridge contacts
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline J-E

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 11:08 AM »
A guy in a french language forum (darius for those who know) has the same problem with the roms above 2048k.

the problem explained in french: (for those who speak french and in case of my translation is weak)
"bon voilà mon problème: depuis aujourd' hui mon everdrive sur ma megadrive ne veut plus me loader les roms de plus de 2048 ko au dessus
il reste bloquer là :???: est il en train de rendre l'âme :|"

in english, that means that since today, his everdrive MD does'nt load roms above 2048 kb (?-in french is ko for kilooctet I'm not sure if this means kilobytes). the loading is freezing and the everdrive is going to die.

thank you for your help

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 05:10 PM »
Look it's great that Krikzz often takes time from his busy schedule to answer these posts, but seriously people....

Krikzz.com sells directly AND there's a DEALER page featuring a sizeable list of resellers.  The reason is the same every time, the buyer wanted to save money and bought a knock off. 

https://krikzz.com/store/content/6-dealers

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 10:35 PM »
Greg is right, now I realized the OP has a clone Everdrive AND a clone Genesis/Mega Drive. LOL
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL