Author Topic: PC ENGINE VIA A LCD TV??  (Read 4765 times)

Offline TonyN

• View Profile
PC ENGINE VIA A LCD TV??
« on: April 13, 2013, 01:47 PM »
Anybody managed to hook their beloved PCE up to a large screen Tv?
If so please let me/us know how. I know through experience that the standard power supply (UK) overheats after ten minutes, when cooled down it works for another them minutes, and so on.
So I bought a 9v DC negative centre pin which gives 3 amps, if needed - just the job!!!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 06:59 PM by TonyN »

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
Re: PC ENGINE VIA A LCD TV??
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 05:41 PM »

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 06:56 PM »
I only have an LCD TV. It's the only way I can play my PCE Duo. If you have a standard PC Engine, you may have to mod it for composite, S-Video, or component. Being in Europe, however, you could perform an RGB mod for SCART.

The link Grambo provided also has a wealth of information. Have a run through it.

I do have a Turbographx-16 that I have A/V and S-Video modded. Simple enough to do, if you can solder. If you'd like to attempt any mod, you may want to try the composite mod for your PC Engine, at it is the easiest to perform.

As it goes for your power supply, what's the rating on it? If it's overheating, try your backup power supply and see how that goes. I don't think the power supply should affect the video output as much, but I could be wrong. Are you using the stock power supply with a step up converter?

References:
Composite and RGB Mod
S-Video Mod
Composite Mod

Offline TonyN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 02:47 PM »
Thanks again for your help and info.
Regarding power supply I bought a 3amp 9v negative centre pin unit for about £12 and it works for hours with no overheating with a 40ins LCD TV - doesn't improve my gaming skills though!! >:(