Author Topic: Krikzz, could you please have Everdrive GBA alphabet sort files?  (Read 7449 times)

Offline Estil

• View Profile
So I finally got my GBA Everdrive, and YES you can use a 128GB microSD card (Kingston is recommended by Stone Age Gamer)...just make sure it's FAT32 formated first!  So anyway, no matter how much I try to do it manually, I can't quite get the files to stay sorted right (I think for some reason the Everdrive OS sorts the files/folders by modification date instead of alphabetically)...Krikzz I would appreciate it so much if you could update the OS so it sorts the files/folders alphabetically like the other Everdrives.  It kinda drives me nuts that I can't get the files on their sorted!

Offline nihlathak

• View Profile
Re: Krikzz, could you please have Everdrive GBA alphabet sort files?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 12:07 PM »
I agree. This is the only feature request I have (left) for the X5.

We know you can use 'FAT Sorter' to sort the files on your SD, but that often results in 'IO Errors' so that's not really an option. Might be my SanDisk, might be a general issue. Whichever it is, automatic sorting done by the EverdriveGBA would fix this.
SD2SNES | EverDrive-GBA X5 Mini | EverDrive-64 v3 | Mega EverDrive X7 | EverDrive-GB X7 | EverDrive N8 NES | Joyzz | PSIO | GDEmu

Offline Estil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 04:45 PM »
I did find a program that I was able to do that.  So that will do for now.  BTW, I am quite pleased that I can FINALLY do Game Gear games on the TV!

Offline FrenchyToasty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 01:56 AM »
I had to manually reinstall all the games wo keep them all in alphabetical order, same with my Mega Everdrive...

Offline slickrasta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 08:54 AM »
I agree. This is the only feature request I have (left) for the X5.

We know you can use 'FAT Sorter' to sort the files on your SD, but that often results in 'IO Errors' so that's not really an option. Might be my SanDisk, might be a general issue. Whichever it is, automatic sorting done by the EverdriveGBA would fix this.
I have the same issue with my SD card have you found an alternative for Windows that allows you to sort without causing IO Errors? I even tried using fatsort via terminal on my Macbook and same issue. This is super annoying. Surely someone has figured out a solution besides slowly copying the files in order? That's not even realistic for me since I regularly download new romhacks and add them to my card so they will always appear at the bottom. Any advice is appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 09:08 AM by slickrasta »

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 02:25 PM »
If memory serves me right all you would have to do is use an extractor like WinRAR and click on one folder and extract them one by one if you were following smokemonsters rom pack of GBA Everdrive back in 10.31.2017 I'd do them as follows...

USA A-Z

Europe A-Z

Japan A-Z

2 GBA Video

3 Hudson PC Engine & NEC TurboGrafx-16

3 Nintendo Game Boy & Game Boy Color

3 Nintendo NES & Famicom

3 Sega Game Gear

3 Sega Master System & SG-1000/

4 Beta, Prototypes, Revisions/

4 Color Restorations

4 Game Series Collections

4 Hacks

4 Homebrew

4 SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color

4 Super Famicom & Super Nintendo/

4 Translations

5 Tools & Service Test Carts/

6 Unlisted Development Projects/

So in short all you would do is open one part of the folder say the A-Z of a USA set and only extract half of the A-Z such as A-F and then do the others separate and never do them all at once otherwise the lower files may take priority the same goes for numbered files.

As for the Disk IO error after extracting a folder it tends to be more on the SRAM games being the ones your device has currently been running as the Everdrive remembers which games you have played up until it reaches 10,000 back up copies of each game that has been ran on the device and erasing these ones fixes that issue.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 07:13 AM by Richardragon87 »
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 06:49 AM »
So I finally got my GBA Everdrive, and YES you can use a 128GB microSD card (Kingston is recommended by Stone Age Gamer)...just make sure it's FAT32 formated first!  So anyway, no matter how much I try to do it manually, I can't quite get the files to stay sorted right (I think for some reason the Everdrive OS sorts the files/folders by modification date instead of alphabetically)...Krikzz I would appreciate it so much if you could update the OS so it sorts the files/folders alphabetically like the other Everdrives.  It kinda drives me nuts that I can't get the files on their sorted!

Just have to use Fat Sorter

Offline taiyotenko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 05:10 AM »
Why does Everdrive sort files by short filename instead of long filename?

Offline slickrasta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 07:47 AM »

I wish this was true but when I run FAT Sorter on my Windows PC it works to sort but when I go into folders on my GBA Everdrive it comes up with IO errors all the time so is not a viable option. Manually doing fatsort on a Mac has the exact same result. Does anyone have a solution to sorting files automatically without causing IO errors? I do fatsort/FAT Sorter for all of my everdrives (I essentially own them all) and it works fine but this GBA Everdrive X5 is the only one that has issues (IO Errors). Also manually adding folders slowly is not a viable option since I consistently add the newest romhacks to my SDs every week/month so having to do that every single time I add a few new roms is just ridiculous.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 07:49 AM by slickrasta »

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 08:07 AM »

I wish this was true but when I run FAT Sorter on my Windows PC it works to sort but when I go into folders on my GBA Everdrive it comes up with IO errors all the time so is not a viable option. Manually doing fatsort on a Mac has the exact same result. Does anyone have a solution to sorting files automatically without causing IO errors? I do fatsort/FAT Sorter for all of my everdrives (I essentially own them all) and it works fine but this GBA Everdrive X5 is the only one that has issues (IO Errors). Also manually adding folders slowly is not a viable option since I consistently add the newest romhacks to my SDs every week/month so having to do that every single time I add a few new roms is just ridiculous.

sounds like the X5 is defective

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 12:04 PM »

Sounds like you may have already played too many games on the X5 already if so you can only hold a total of 2,025 memory data files where the device will create a back up of each rom and when it exceeds the limit the Disk I0 message will appear in any folder you click on.

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline slickrasta

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 01:53 PM »

Sounds like you may have already played too many games on the X5 already if so you can only hold a total of 2,025 memory data files where the device will create a back up of each rom and when it exceeds the limit the Disk I0 message will appear in any folder you click on.
I've literally loaded 2 roms on it since I got it. Busy and then too annoyed with the IO errors.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 02:02 PM »
I've literally loaded 2 roms on it since I got it. Busy and then too annoyed with the IO errors.

Well don't try and think the SD cards are at fault it can be resolved in this topic on what was found out about why it happens - http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8958.0

Post changed:

Offline db2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 05:30 PM »
I've used DriveSort with my Everdrives and Harmony Cart for years, and have had zero issues with it.

http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort/?lang=en

Set it to sort by long filename, and to sort/save subdirectories, and it'll do the whole card in one go.

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 12:10 AM »
Or Krikzz could add a file sorting option.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 12:15 AM by James Cree »