Author Topic: Wonder Boy in Monster World doesn't save (ED X7)  (Read 8786 times)

Offline TeaJay

• View Profile
Wonder Boy in Monster World doesn't save (ED X7)
« on: January 05, 2017, 08:18 PM »
Been having trouble getting the aforementioned MD/Genesis game to save my progress. Now, I've googled all kinds of solutions, tried ROM's which work for others, tried patches and even had someone sent their patched version to me - which works 100% for them - tried resetting after saving at the first inn, everything. Got the latest OS. SRAM saving enabled from the menu. No matter what I do, whenever I go back to the game main menu, I only have the option for a New game - no continue.

I thought it might be a problem with the Everdrive but I've also been playing Monster World IV which saves just fine.

There is also the in-game menu and save state option but for some reason it won't work with this game either. When I save or load the game freezes.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 08:21 PM by TeaJay »

DUDEDAMAN321

Re: Wonder Boy in Monster World doesn't save (ED X7)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 11:00 AM »
Unfortunately, no exact ideas yet. Been having the same issue as well recently, and I've been trying to figure it out myself. Also got a Mega EverDrive X7 with me which works really well on my Model 1 High Definition Graphics (non-TMSS) Sega Genesis. It's just this particular game doesn't want to save in-game progress. Even updated to the latest OS, and tried different .ips SRAM patches too. Doesn't seem to wanna save as "New Game" is the only option in the main menu. Oddly enough, Monster World IV saves correctly for me as well, and that game had SRAM saving.

Would appreciate it if anybody else could provide more technical info on why this seems to be happening in Wonder Boy in Monster World, and if a solution can be provided to those that have a similar problem.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 05:31 AM »
This happens in Mega Man: The Wily Wars as well.  I've tried various patched ROMs to no avail.

EDIT:  I tried Wonder Boy in Monster World (Smokemonster ROM set), and it saved fine on my Mega Everdrive V2.  I'm not sure I'm actually running the latest software version, though.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 06:11 AM by Sarge »
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 05:50 AM »
Wonder Boy in Monster World saves fine for me, but most ROMs for MM Wily Wars didn't save (though I now have one that does save). The original NBA Jam saves for me (also EEPROM like Wonder Boy and some ROMs of Wily Wars), but it was reported as not working by other posters. I wish Krikzz would give an update on EEPROM support and why even some SRAM ROMs (including one of the JP Rockman Megaworld ROMs) of Wily Wars don't save.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:55 AM by brianvgplayer »

Offline munnlete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 02:19 AM »
Can you provide more info about how you got the NBA Jam ROM that is working with EEPROM saves?   As of a couple weeks ago's update, the Mega-ED is supposed to officially support all games' EEPROM saves, by I can't get it to work. 

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 04:01 AM »
I replied in PM, but it was before the latest update when I got the original non TE NBA Jam to work. It only saves after a full game (which means all four quarters). I just used a standard ROM, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't be saving.

Offline Burt_Lancaster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 06:19 PM »
Hi,

I am not starting a new thread since I have the same issues as explained above. In detail:

I am attempting to play Wonder Boy in Monster World with my Mega Everdrive V2 (X7) and Genesis model 1, but it does not save. So I would like to know if there is something I do wrong, as some people say that the everdrive X7 now supports EPROM saves. This is what I do:

1 - Start the console. Start the game. No problem
2 - Saving the game in the first "hotel" I can. Continue playing for a few seconds
3 - Reset. So I am back at the everdrive menu, out of the game
4 - Options - Toolbox - Save game ram to SD
5 - Start the game again to see if everything is ok. It is, since on the screen I see the option to continue, and it actually takes me to the place where I saved the game
6 - Turn off the console
7 - Couple of days later. Turn on the console
8 - Select game only (not starting)
9 - Options - Toolbox - Save SD to game ram
10 - Start the game. Only new game is possible
11 - Freaking out for the 6th time

It is becoming pretty frustrating since I feel like I am wasting my time. Any help around???

Offline Assman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 12:49 PM »
Hi,

I am not starting a new thread since I have the same issues as explained above. In detail:

I am attempting to play Wonder Boy in Monster World with my Mega Everdrive V2 (X7) and Genesis model 1, but it does not save. So I would like to know if there is something I do wrong, as some people say that the everdrive X7 now supports EPROM saves. This is what I do:

1 - Start the console. Start the game. No problem
2 - Saving the game in the first "hotel" I can. Continue playing for a few seconds
3 - Reset. So I am back at the everdrive menu, out of the game
4 - Options - Toolbox - Save game ram to SD
5 - Start the game again to see if everything is ok. It is, since on the screen I see the option to continue, and it actually takes me to the place where I saved the game
6 - Turn off the console
7 - Couple of days later. Turn on the console
8 - Select game only (not starting)
9 - Options - Toolbox - Save SD to game ram
10 - Start the game. Only new game is possible
11 - Freaking out for the 6th time

It is becoming pretty frustrating since I feel like I am wasting my time. Any help around???

Have you tried the SRAM hack? Here's a link to the patch if you haven't (you need a program like Lunar IPS to apply it):

http://www.tototek.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=334&sid=31bcaf731b168542daa9a3c6ac8f0ebc

Offline Burt_Lancaster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 01:58 PM »
In the Smokemonster pack, which I am using, there is already a hack of the game patched for SDRAM save (it does not work either), but I will try patching on my own. I will also check if SDRAM saves work properly. Is there an SDRAM game to test that on a fast way? I mean, one that allows saving few minutes right after starting...

Offline Assman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 08:21 AM »
Most non-sports games with save systems use SRAM, I believe. Sonic 3 uses it and, if I recall correctly, you'll have a save showing you at zone 1 if you start a new game and reset without getting past the first act. Just don't use Sonic 3 & Knuckles as that may have save issues on an ED.

Offline Burt_Lancaster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 05:50 PM »
Tried the patched file. It does not create an srm file. Instead it continues creating eep files which, seem to be useless for the MegaEverdrive. As I am seeing it now, I do not find a way to play WB in Monster World 3...

See attached: SRAM seems to be ok (FIFA), but EEPROM save game do not work on the MegaEverdrive...

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 05:35 AM »
What firmware are you on? I updated to 3.08 and WB in Monster World saves without the SRAM hack. I'm under the impression that some ROMs of the EEPROM games and SRAM versions of games also on EEPROM are mislabeled in the header. Analogue Mega SG also had a similar issue with Wily Wars that was later fixed.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 05:39 AM by brianvgplayer »

Offline Burt_Lancaster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 11:22 AM »
What firmware are you on? I updated to 3.08 and WB in Monster World saves without the SRAM hack. I'm under the impression that some ROMs of the EEPROM games and SRAM versions of games also on EEPROM are mislabeled in the header. Analogue Mega SG also had a similar issue with Wily Wars that was later fixed.

3.08 firmware. What happens to me is that it apparently saves: saving and then reopening the game few minutes later shows "continue" on the main screen, everything looks fine. Please could you try something? Switch off the genesis for a couple of days then start the game. Let's see if the "continue" word is in there. That doesnt happen to me. Is it maybe an ED battery issue? It should not as other SRAM games work fine and save on the SD card.

If it works fine for you, what are the exact steps you are following?

Thanks for your help

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 10:18 PM »
I went back to the game (I think it was a couple of days since I last checked) and the save is still there. I have been resetting after I save and the save is still there. I also tried Micro Machines TT '96 and it saves the course, though when I used the copy file to SD, the save was gone, but when I tried again without copy file to SD and just saved, reset, and turned off and on the console, the track was still there.

I did notice that the EEPROM save data was gone when I updated and copied the files back, even after using that copy feature, though.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 10:22 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline Burt_Lancaster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 02:00 PM »
I went back to the game (I think it was a couple of days since I last checked) and the save is still there. I have been resetting after I save and the save is still there. I also tried Micro Machines TT '96 and it saves the course, though when I used the copy file to SD, the save was gone, but when I tried again without copy file to SD and just saved, reset, and turned off and on the console, the track was still there.

I did notice that the EEPROM save data was gone when I updated and copied the files back, even after using that copy feature, though.

Exactly I was using the copy to / from SD function and the save is gone. Even though when I check the SD card on my laptop there is an .eep file. If we don't use the copy to / from SD function what does the everdrive does? save the game on an internal battery? I bought mine 2/3 years ago, is it possible that the battery is off?