Author Topic: Save state mappers  (Read 12655 times)

Offline netbeui

• View Profile
Save state mappers
« on: May 06, 2013, 06:01 PM »
I understand that someone created custom mappers for the Powerpak that add the ability to save states in games. Are those mappers compatible with the Everdrive N8? Or would new mappers need to be written for this?

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
Re: Save state mappers
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 06:57 PM »
No, Powerpak mapper are not compatible with the Everdrive n8 unfortunatly.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 11:23 PM »
only a matter of time before thefox ports his mappers to n8 he said he would if he bought a n8 :)
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 01:32 AM »
only a matter of time before thefox ports his mappers to n8 he said he would if he bought a n8 :)
This is not at all definite.

Offline Hanafuda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 01:36 AM »
Savestates?

No thanks. I mean, I don't really care if it gets enabled someday, I just won't use it. But if there's anything I learned from years of using emulators, the #1 lesson is that savestates ruin the accomplishment of beating a game. You can't say, "Yeah, I beat that game." anymore. You have to say, "Yeah, I beat that game*."

* well, with savestates.

I'm all for flashcarts & modchips on dead systems - you're not robbing developers or manufacturers of a thing (virtual console type crap notwithstanding). But I'd be happier if cheats and savestates stayed on the emulators.

Not trying to be judgmental .. it's ok if you want to use savestates. Just don't forget the asterisk at the end of your sentence when you claim to have beaten the game.

Offline netbeui

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 02:29 AM »
Not trying to be judgmental .. it's ok if you want to use savestates. Just don't forget the asterisk at the end of your sentence when you claim to have beaten the game.

Haha I hear ya and I agree that beating a game with this added functionality is not the same as beating the game as it was originally designed.

Although I would definitely use the feature myself, it's more about the coolness factor for me. I think it's pretty neat to be able to add such a drastic feature to a piece of hardware that's almost 30 years old.

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 04:20 AM »
YES Hanafuda! I started a thread about this a little while ago. That GIF sums up my thoughts perfectly.

Offline snstay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 04:49 AM »
yeah i could take or leave save states. Plus we still got game genie codes, arnt those good enough for "cheating" to beat a game?

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 04:57 AM »
I'd use them if they were available, but really, if the old skool game didn't have SS before, why bother now? I'm thinking its a new generation of gamers that are used to having their game saved at regular intervals and not used to one whole sit through to finish a game or a password system.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 05:44 AM »
This is not at all definite.
i know this, but thats what he said.
i wonder if thefox would be so kind to share source for save states with krikzz ;)
Nah, maybe I'll port it over some day if I get an ED N8.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 05:45 AM by dvd2vcd »
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 06:26 AM »
Well, some people use save state to play game without save feature so they don't have to leave the console on for days to avoid losing their progress. I do not see how it is cheating since even during the nes era people would avoid turning off their console to beat game. Also, game genie code are mainly used for cheating and many people are really happy to have that feature. I do not think it should be overlooked because a few forum member do not need it. Personnaly I do not use save state to "cheat" so I do not really mind but I'd much rather use save state than leaving my console and everdrive n8 powered on for extended period of time.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:27 AM by SkinnyV »

Offline netbeui

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 07:04 AM »
Yeah I also like the idea of not leaving my NES turned on for days.

Which reminds me - what's the consensus on leaving the N8 in the system all the time? Is it better to eject/re-insert the cartridge for each gaming session or just leave it in all the time?

Offline netbeui

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 07:10 AM »
I'm thinking its a new generation of gamers that are used to having their game saved at regular intervals and not used to one whole sit through to finish a game or a password system.

Trust me I'm old school. The only "pause" I had growing up was to line up the paddles in pong so that the ball would bounce directly back and forth indefinitely  ;)

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 07:18 AM »
Yeah I also like the idea of not leaving my NES turned on for days.

Which reminds me - what's the consensus on leaving the N8 in the system all the time? Is it better to eject/re-insert the cartridge for each gaming session or just leave it in all the time?
Definitly not ejecting/re-inserting the cart each time, it will wear of the nes connector and won't do any good.

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 08:36 AM »
i know this, but thats what he said.
I was just more or less referring to the fact that he said maybe and clarifying that's it isn't a definite thing. Not to mention that we don't even know Krikzz's opinion on the matter.

Well, some people use save state to play game without save feature so they don't have to leave the console on for days to avoid losing their progress. I do not see how it is cheating since even during the nes era people would avoid turning off their console to beat game. Also, game genie code are mainly used for cheating and many people are really happy to have that feature. I do not think it should be overlooked because a few forum member do not need it. Personnaly I do not use save state to "cheat" so I do not really mind but I'd much rather use save state than leaving my console and everdrive n8 powered on for extended period of time.
I understand that some do want save states, but I can honestly say that when (if?) the day save states come to the N8, I will stop updating my OS. It's not really a matter of not needing, I really don't even like savestates being available to me. I'll probably be outnumbered by those who desire savestates, but I'm very happy without them. I'd go into more detail, but I've already expressed my opinion in another thread and I do realize that there are others who do want them quite badly.
I'm still in favor of them for the Mega ED, however.