Author Topic: Do you have enough free time?  (Read 8820 times)

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
Do you have enough free time?
« on: February 20, 2017, 04:11 PM »
Self pity alert - I work in I.T. Support, and five weeks ago at work, I agreed to relocate for a fortnight as another branch was remaining open whilst it's building was renovated and they needed someone to cover for someone who was off work for a time. I'm still there five weeks later (doing the work of three people, and only two half days off per week), bang in the middle of nowhere (and I don't have a car, so I can't go anywhere) and I'm now booked for at least another three weeks. I could say no, and maybe lose the badly paid, tedious job, but I really don't want to have to start looking for another job.

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. I wanted to type more, but I'll spare you (plus if anyone connected what I said on the 'net about the place I worked at, then I'd definitely get sacked), but on a tangent, does anyone here have enough free time to themselves? I mean, the older you get the less time you seem to have to yourself, and the faster times seems to travel.

I don't get much free time, what with family and friends, work (and commuting to and from work), and fixing PCs and laptops. My friends are all in pretty much the same boat, and I (and most of them) are in the mid forty range, too old to be free and single, too young to have retired, so finding time to indulge in your bobbies isn't at all easy.

My backlog of games is huge, plus I have a ton of books and DVDs that I never get the time to even start (I've not even started The Game of Thrones yet, or season four of the excellent Sherlock, or the Doctor Who Christmas special), so does anyone here have enough time to enjoy their hobbies? Is there anyone here lucky enough not to have to work for a living (apologies if you're not working due to illness, I don't mean any offence) and if so, do you want to swap lives?  :)

Offline Modman

• View Profile
    • Kodewerx
Re: Do you have enough free time?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 05:53 PM »
I'm 28, I have a full time job, and I have a fiance and a 1 year old daughter. I've also been pursuing my bachelor's degree for the last 5 years. I am now 3 classes away. I don't have any free time, really. But I asked for everything that I have in life, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I can tell you that feeling good is an emergency for me, and feeling good keeps me sane. Here's a bit of unconventional wisdom from an unlikely source:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/wisdom-from-psychopaths/

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 06:05 PM »
why are you asking this in the ed64 subforum, this is definitely off topic.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 07:05 PM »
why are you asking this in the ed64 subforum, this is definitely off topic.

Yes, sorry. I was just blowing off steam about work, and I should have thought about it first. Mods please feel free to move this topic.

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 07:25 PM »
I'm in a similar situation.  In my 20s though I had a lot of free time - it was like being a kid again.  I would game late into the night/all through the next day.  I caught up on just about everything.  I could stare at a wall of 200+ games and say I had nothing to play :)  It pretty much sucked, even the best parts.  All of that changed when I got married.  The backlog is getting pretty bad.  My gaming is only on a gameboy advance.  I'm also happily married and I have a job that respects me and my time (very rare for me).

All in all since the rest of my life is good, I'm happy.  I still miss my backlog.  I got sidetracked from replaying Zelda games by hacking, and with the new one coming out soon I'll have 3 Zelda games (not counting Hyrule Warriors/Legends) that I've never played.  The only reason I finished the last game I played was due to a 3-day illness.  I only get an hour or two to myself most nights, and that will probably get less and less.

I know you don't want to look for a new job, but you really are in a great place to job hunt.  Most of my job hunts were on the edge of getting fired, and I had a couple of really bad ones because of it.  Still, I don't know your situation and I'm just some guy on the internet :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:34 PM by ozidual »
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 07:13 PM »
I think most of us gamers in our 30s or older are all on the same boat.

I wish I had 1 day a week for me, just 1, and I would just play all day, this would make me very happy. But having a 6 months old baby and a wife means 0 time for myself. I have to wait until they're both asleep and maybe I'll give up on 2 hours of sleep to play something here and there. Obviously I can't do this everyday or I will underperform at my job and end up getting fired.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. H - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer - AVS

Offline fabio_rosendo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 12:49 AM »
If you are not married and do not have children, then you have all the time of the world.
We people of the West have the terrible cultural habit of relating very early.
As a comparison, Eastern people like Japanese, hardly have children or marry before 40.
They prefer to live life, and only acquire responsibilities much later, which should serve as an example for other peoples.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 12:54 AM by fabio_rosendo »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 05:55 PM »
Thanks for the answers, and sorry for unloading my frustrations on you - I know we're mostly in the same situation, spare time-wise, and it's difficult to see how people with more demanding hobbies manage to spend time on them - at least with video gaming there's no travelling (as you play them in your house), no organisation required, and you can play the games you like, without having to follow the majority.

I suppose I just miss the free time that you always seemed to have as a kid. Days seemed longer back then, whereas now (to me) on the rare occasions when you get three full hours to yourself, they seem to fly by.

I know you don't want to look for a new job, but you really are in a great place to job hunt.  Most of my job hunts were on the edge of getting fired, and I had a couple of really bad ones because of it.  Still, I don't know your situation and I'm just some guy on the internet :)

I do like my job to be honest, and it's all I'm good at really. I was just annoyed that this whole situation has been so badly planned and handled and that I'm now left to sort so much of it out (I won't post details, it's not smart to slag off work in a way that can be traced back to you, but you'd think Mr Bean ran the company).

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 04:28 AM »
As you get older, each year is a smaller fraction of your life so it seems shorter. When we were kids one year was a significant fraction of your living memory.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 10:02 PM »
I know I have free time, but I don't feel like I do, if that makes any sense.